Wuben        

View Poll Results: Would you buy an HDS in natural HA?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heckin' yeah!

41 64.06%
  • Yes, but only if the colors match

15 23.44%
  • No. Paint it Black!

8 12.50%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: HDS Natural HA

Default Re: HDS Natural HA

Hogo... What LEDs will be available with this run? I would love to see a 2700k HA Nat...
    Last edited by moltenmag; 07-18-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Not that I was the first by far but I suggested this months and months ago so ya looking at my old HA hds lights I would love a new one with it. Soooo YES
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Hogo... What LEDs will be available with this run? I would love to see a 2700k HA Nat...
    No idea currently. It's too far away to give any decent prediction.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default HDS Natural HA

Alright well I would LOVE an incandescent HDS Nat HAIII... it would be like a modern vintage surefire (but much better) light!!
    Last edited by moltenmag; 07-18-2018 at 06:03 PM.

I'm the opposite. I'd want a High Noon because I have a 3000k HDS from the group buy.

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Alright well I would LOVE an incandescent HDS Nat HAIII... it would be like a modern vintage surefire (but much better) light!!

Quote Originally Posted by redryder View Post
    I'm the opposite. I'd want a High Noon because I have a 3000k HDS from the group buy.
    Totally understand. I just think the Natural HA matches the aesthetic of a very warm incandescent LED. Either way... I just really hope this run happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Yes. Several. Hogo went on a shopping spree with the HDS credit card.
    Is this in reference to the LEDs that went with the titanium run? Iím really hoping for a 3500k or 3700k option to be available on the site as my dream is an ďincandescentĒ HDS. I think 2700k and even 3000k are a bit too warm. Like an incandescent with half used batteries.

What makes things worse is having a desire like having a certain temperature with something like a natural hard anodize run. Because if the emitter and the finish you want arenít available at the same time, youíre out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Is this in reference to the LEDs that went with the titanium run? Iím really hoping for a 3500k or 3700k option to be available on the site as my dream is an ďincandescentĒ HDS. I think 2700k and even 3000k are a bit too warm. Like an incandescent with half used batteries.

What makes things worse is having a desire like having a certain temperature with something like a natural hard anodize run. Because if the emitter and the finish you want arenít available at the same time, youíre out of luck.
    Yeah thatís the same predicament Iíve found too. If a warm emitter is possible in a Nat HA run... I will take a break from buying for a while. I just LOVE the look of natural HA. Especially mis-matched...

Mis-matched isnít an issue for many here I think. My other fear is that the light/emitter I want may sell out so fast I canít even get one. Or that it will only be available as a rotary.

on the box of the incandescent bulbs I use at home (not flashlight, house lights) it says 2900k

219c 3500 is sold out, so maybe you got lucky and Hogo bought the last ones

or, if you cant get what you want built by HDS, consider finding someone to do an LED swap to your preffered LED,

maybe buy a couple of these:
    219c 2700 and 3000 here
    https://www.virence.com/product-page...19ct-nvsw219ct

219b 4000 and 4500 are here
    https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvsl219bt-v1

I hadnít realized 219Bs are being discontinued?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    219c 3500 is sold out, so maybe you got lucky and Hogo bought the last ones
    Hogo got only 4 3500K 219C LEDs. Therefore in the 2700, 3000, 3500, 4000K Groupbuy only 4 3500K 219C lights were available, due to the lack of LEDs.

The 3500K 219C LEDs are sold out since month.

I hadnít realized 219Bs are being discontinued?
    Yes the "Ultra HiCri" 219B are discontinued. If you are interested in this LED for own projects, order it as long as they are available.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Mis-matched isnít an issue for many here I think. My other fear is that the light/emitter I want may sell out so fast I canít even get one. Or that it will only be available as a rotary.
    Totally agree. Iím looking out for an update from Hogo on this run... I can hardly wait...

I still donít understand how if you put all parts of the light in the tank in the same run how they all wonít be matching? Unless the location of the parts in the tank has something to do with it. But it really doesnít matter to me I like the miss matches.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I still donít understand how if you put all parts of the light in the tank in the same run how they all wonít be matching? Unless the location of the parts in the tank has something to do with it. But it really doesnít matter to me I like the miss matches.
    Yep. Where they are in the tank makes a difference. Even different stock, though it is the "same" aluminum composition, makes a difference as well.
    I play with dead things

Any update on the Nat HA Hogo? What does Henry think about the anodization? Really hope this happens...

There won't be any updates until next year. The parts for it will be machined along with the titanium, bronze, and brass run. After they get machined, we will see how they are anodized and then decided from there.
    I play with dead things

IF Nat HA is offered hogo will it be an option with HDS or will be another special run?

IF Nat HA is offered hogo will it be an option with HDS or will be another special run?
    Most likely a 2 minute special run.
    I play with dead things

Seriously?🤔

TWO minutes ?! .... No way it doesn't sell out in less than one minute, lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

Seriously?樂
    Unfortunately, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    You are probably right. The batch will be smaller than even the bronze run. Henry will NOT offer them unless the anodizing matches, and so the run that will be done is tiny... 15 units most likely.

Having it as a standard offering would be a major PITA keeping track of the parts and making sure they match, so I know that won't happen. It is possible a much larger second run could be done in the future... but it all depends on how this run goes, and we won't know until next year.
    I play with dead things

Lol ok though you were kidding due to the fact that anodizing in different colors is done by nearly every other flashlight company and didnít think having it done would be state of the art or mean that the light is now totally custom.i get ďkindaĒ putting a cap on how many special materials lights you make even though it shows you can or rather would of sold many more if you would of made more. But, a different color anodizing? If other companies do this on a regular basis surely HDS can as well. Is your main issue with the company that does this for you. Are they the only ones you can deal with?

Sorry for the rant but the ďspecialĒ runs of 20 here 30 there is just not fair for many that canít jump that fast. I have owned HDS lights for going on 14 years. Love them so donít get me wrong but it seems they are now catering to the very few fortunate ones with disposable income and quick internet.

Flashaholic*

I wouldnít really call it catering to anyone. Making a special run of lights is a PIITA for the guys making them as well. Hard to set up for a new material and put out a ton of those just to please everyone.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Seriously?樂
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Lol ok though you were kidding due to the fact that anodizing in different colors is done by nearly every other flashlight company and didnít think having it done would be state of the art or mean that the light is now totally custom.i get ďkindaĒ putting a cap on how many special materials lights you make even though it shows you can or rather would of sold many more if you would of made more. But, a different color anodizing? If other companies do this on a regular basis surely HDS can as well. Is your main issue with the company that does this for you. Are they the only ones you can deal with?

Sorry for the rant but the ďspecialĒ runs of 20 here 30 there is just not fair for many that canít jump that fast. I have owned HDS lights for going on 14 years. Love them so donít get me wrong but it seems they are now catering to the very few fortunate ones with disposable income and quick internet.
    I feel your pain. I honestly do. This is baby steps. It was no easy task convincing Henry to do any of these small runs. I've been trying to convince him to "dip his toe" into the water before jumping in, which he is now doing... dipping his toe into the water. He wouldn't even so much as come down to the pool before. Next I'll get him some water wings and coax him into the shallow end of the pool.

For Henry, HDS is his baby... well, more like a 30 year kid still living in the basement, and I'm trying to get this kid to move out and get a job. HDS didn't start with the idea of "hey, let's make cool lights and make lots of money." It started as coming up with the solution to a specific need (reliable lighting for caving) and moved into hand held lighting with the same philosophy. Special materials doesn't fit into that philosophy. I even had an email or two from customers who felt that brass lights would devalue the HDS brand as the softer metal is contrary to the HDS philosophy. When I teamed up with Henry, I told him this kid needs to move out and become self supporting and at least now, the kid has a part-time job, I've taken the video games away, and he has to wash and fold his own damned clothes. While I would like to just change the locks on the doors and leave everything on the front step, that just isn't going to happen. Don't want the kid to die, or worse yet, start selling himself on the street corner (becoming cheap with no integrity).

These small runs are not a business model, by no means. They are simply "testing the waters" for Henry and HDS. I look at HDS as a business. I don't want to leave money on the table. I don't like the fact that we could probably sell 100 bronze lights, and only have 20 for sale, but I have to work within the confines that I am given.

Specifically with the natural HA, while it may seem like a long time ago, Henry and I both remember far to well the pissing and moaning about mismatched parts of years past. It's akin to the "slightly off-center" emitter of today. It effects NOTHING with the function or reliability, though folks go nuts over it to the point that most of the flashlight reviews even mention it. Pure OCD, and at HDS, we deal with a lot of that. Some people think they are buying jewelry, not hard use tools. One would even think many buy lights for the sole purpose of looking at white walls (and what shade of white is that white wall? Eggshell white? Navajo white? Eskimo white?)

I'm trying to turn a ship into a different direction... not a speedboat. It's going to be slow. It's going to take some time. We don't have unlimited capital or investors money to do this and take risks that could risk the company or devalue the light.

We are also not a "custom shop". I've been trying to get lots of different options for emitter choice, but again, that is for a small market of folks. Military and LEO contracts could care less about CRI and color temp. Going through and reading the "Suggestions Thread" can make one (Henry and myself) want to cut our wrists at times as folks think we have Barbara Eden or Elizabeth Montgomery on the payroll.

Everything is always easier when somebody else has to do it.
    I play with dead things

Wow...just wow Hogo..
    You know I have always wanted an HDS and the ones I have wanted are probably the rarer limited runs.. like the safety orange? Id love one of those but big money's.. or the FDE.. i like that one too but the same.. the regular old black ones just dont appeal to me much. Im looking forward to laying my hands on the rotary to see if I really like the platform. Then maybe..just maybe, Ill splurge if something that suits my fancy comes along at a high price..lol

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    Wow...just wow Hogo..
    You know I have always wanted an HDS and the ones I have wanted are probably the rarer limited runs.. like the safety orange? Id love one of those but big money's.. or the FDE.. i like that one too but the same.. the regular old black ones just dont appeal to me much. Im looking forward to laying my hands on the rotary to see if I really like the platform. Then maybe..just maybe, Ill splurge if something that suits my fancy comes along at a high price..lol
    Get on the Rotary Passaround so you don't have to "Pay to Play" and see if you like it first.
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Get on the Rotary Passaround so you don't have to "Pay to Play" and see if you like it first.
    I am next on the list! Thats why I said I am looking forward to laying my hands on the rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    I am next on the list! Thats why I said I am looking forward to laying my hands on the rotary.
    LOL! OK. I've got a thousand things to keep track of and am working with 286 computer for a brain.
    I play with dead things

Hogo your post was dead on! And thank you for your explanation. Your one point of people thinking they are buying jewelry hit the nail on the head.many HDS owners have now become collectors of beauty flashlights. Instead of buying for the sheer toughness,reliability and performance. Thatís the real beauty of this light.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast