Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Flashaholic*

Default Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

The greatest incandescent flashlight ever conceived. A masterpiece of technological innovation. A thing of beauty and wonder. A flashlight so unique that no other exists like it.

As you can tell by my opening statement, I am a HUGE A2 Aviator fan. Maybe huge is an understatement. Either you get this flashlight, or you don't. I was enlightened to the miracle and wonder that the A2 is many moons ago. And there has yet to be a time when this little light has not put a smile on my face.

Despite LED technology advancing everyday, lumens getting brighter and brighter, into the thousands of lumens, nothing is as beautiful to me as the wonderful white, digitally regulated beam that the A2's little filament produces. I've seen the best hotwire beams there are, yet none brings me the joy that little "50 lumen" beam produces. And nothing matches the perfection and simplicity of its UI, the Surefire 2 Stage tailcap.

Surefire has attempted to make 2 successors to the Aviator, and in my humble opinion, neither has come close to matching the original A2. It's uniqueness and legacy is unsurpassed, and will stay that way.

If I was forced to give up every single flashlight I had, but only keep one, I would keep my A2. Long live the A2 Aviator, the greatest incandescent flashlight ever!

Default Re: Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

Welcome to the site.

Yup the A2 was a goody.
    John 3:16

I tend to agree with everything you say about the Aviator, but the leds are horrible. I like that the 6p offers many more options for lamps and upgrades. but, I still find the Aviator to produce a better beam. I just can't get past the horrible tint of the white leds and the bizarre artifacts of the other colors. I have a love hate relationship with it. Its much more suitable to a pocket EDC than the 6p though. I know there have been some led upgrades in the past. Wish I could have gotten my hands on them because then the Aviator would be my absolute perfect light.

Of course, at the time it was as good as it gets for leds. And, I'm unaware of another incan that compares to it, especially since they're not exactly being manufactured to great extent anymore. So, you may be accurate that it is the best incan of all times.
    Last edited by Lumen83; 05-04-2018 at 07:00 AM.

I love mine. Bought more than ten of them a few years back...every colour and then some extras.
    Great light.

Lumen83,
    If you get one of the aftermarket "led rings" by Koala, you can plug in any 5mm led you wish, including the Yuji "high CRI" 5mm leds. While you are in the process of prepping the leds (trimming the leads, removing the flange), you can sand the leds with, for example, a thin grey Scotch 3M sanding sponge (fine grit), and you will have no artifacts or cloverleaf pattern. Calipsoi makes, or used to make, an led ring also.

Tad Customs makes a bulb adapter and sells the very economical bulbs to go with them, to replace the expensive/hard-to-find Surefire lamp assembly.
    Last edited by novice; 05-04-2018 at 03:05 PM.

I have a Tads 3712 in my user. Better beam than the SureFire bulb too.

But at 2am I fail to notice the Mickey Mouse/purple haze beam when nature calls and a black dog is sprawled out on the floor between point a and b.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Lumen83,
    If you get one of the aftermarket "led rings" by Koala, you can plug in any 5mm led you wish, including the Yuji "high CRI" 5mm leds. While you are in the process of prepping the leds (trimming the leads, removing the flange), you can sand the leds with, for example, a thin grey Scotch 3M sanding sponge (fine grit), and you will have no artifacts or cloverleaf pattern. Calipsoi makes, or used to make, a led ring also.

Tad Customs makes a bulb adapter and sells the very economical bulbs to go with them, to replace the expensive/hard-to-find Surefire lamp assembly.
    Does Koala still make those? If so, I would love that. I didn't think they were available anymore. Can I sand down the existing leds? Sorry if thats a dumb question. I've never opened it up beyond to replace the main bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    The greatest incandescent flashlight ever conceived.
    It was a revolutionary piece of gear, like so much else produced by Surefire in those days.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

The saddest part of the tale is that Surefire had a whole lineup of these regulated incandescent's in the works. So sad they never saw the light of day

The A2 is still one of my favorite. I had two in the past (red and yellow/green bulbs). After awhile, they ended up in the collection drawer.

Recently, I picked up another A2 in the aftermarket with Koala onion ring with Yuji High CRI led. Combined that with Tad'a custom bi-pin, it become my favorite again. It's been in my EDC for the past month. Every time I use it, I grin a little. It's not the brightest nor smallest, but having the old school Incan with led is just plain enjoyable to use.

It doesn't seem that it would be that hard for someone skilled in the machinist arts to make a single-cell extension for the A2, making it an "A3". The tailcap end does not "separate" the cells the way that the E-series normally does. Using 2x16500 cells, the runtime would begin to be in the neighborhood of an A2 on primaries. Aesthetically, the lines would not exactly "flow", but that happens with legos sometimes.

I use AW IMR 16340 cells in my A2s. I don't have any 16500 cells, and have not tested the fit.

IIRC, there was a 3xCR123 prototype SF A3 Aviator; I have seen pics here many years ago.

Back in the good old days, we saw more of those eye-popping oddballs that the 'old guard' posted.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    It doesn't seem that it would be that hard for someone skilled in the machinist arts to make a single-cell extension for the A2, making it an "A3".
    I don't have any 16500 cells, and have not tested the fit.
    I have tested 2500mAh Keeppower protected 16650 which is too tight to fit an A2 body.
    It's easily possible to make extension tube but there are few problems.
    1- Finding some 16500 with acceptable capacity which will fit in A2 body.
    2- Color matching of natural HA which normally may vary from olive drab to grey. Black is easier.
    3- Even if we found right battery set, brightest option is Strion bulb which is slightly brighter than original bulb while some people wish to get at least double the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    IIRC, there was a 3xCR123 prototype SF A3 Aviator; I have seen pics here many years ago.
    There was discussions about A3 many times but I can't remember any prototype picture.
    Years ago I talked to Mr. William Hunt about brighter option of regulated incandescent but never got answer from him.
    I also talked to owner of BCS PowerStick who is friend of Michael (Surefire owner) about more powerful BCS
    We agreed about price and quantity then paid some deposit (2/3 of grand total) but this never happened. I did not see any interest from his side and returned the deposit.
    BCS was similar to this but powered by 4S/2P alkalines and regulated to 3.6 volt with soft start.

Last edited by fivemega; 05-29-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Gee I hope I'm not incorrect ?

I know that SF had a few of the 'Digital' regulated incan prototypes - incl. a 3-cell version - but discontinued that evolutionary line in favor of LED development. So maybe not an A-series aviator perhaps ...

What are the 4 flats going for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    What are the 4 flats going for these days?
    I'd say a lot. I've got rounded BNIB for reasonable money
    Last edited by id30209; 08-04-2018 at 08:05 AM.

A reminder that pricing questions are best addressed through a websearch please.
    ... is the archimedes peak

As a fresh owner i couldn't resist to check in as well. Using mine with koala ring and Tad's 3712. Amazing combo!
    @archimedes: sorry, post corrected

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    A reminder that pricing questions are best addressed through a websearch please.
    Just thought Id ask. I had about 15 of them a few years ago. I remember nice ones were in the 200 range, looks quite a bit less now according to ebay completed listings. Round bodies going for cheap. Is there anything wrong with talking about the value of them?

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    .... Is there anything wrong with talking about the value of them?
    There are an enormous variety of factors that go into determining value, but at the same time, this information has very limited shelf life.

The only hard data available is completed sales, which are easily searchable.

Discussing these topics, in non sales threads, tends to cause off topic drift, pointless arguments, and ultimately moderation problems of various sorts (including price fishing and sales outside of the MarketPlace)

Thanks for understanding.

You know I think itís the good memoryís I had with my old A2 that made me get one again.i used to ghost hunt quite a bit and loved the way the low leds would give me plenty of light to see all night and always had that high beam when I needed it.i have plenty of lights that are more powerful and longer running but still there is just something about it I love.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    You know I think itís the good memoryís I had with my old A2 that made me get one again.i used to ghost hunt quite a bit and loved the way the low leds would give me plenty of light to see all night and always had that high beam when I needed it.i have plenty of lights that are more powerful and longer running but still there is just something about it I love.
    Which color A2 is best for illuminating ghosts?

Flashaholic*

My only hold back has been that the drop ins LED is powered on the low mode when with the Incan it was only the LED ring. I want to see what someoneís experience is.
    My Lights: EDC; Surefire E2T-MV Tactician, ZLSC53, Preon
    Duty; Streamlight Stinger, Nitecore SRT, E2D-LED

Quote Originally Posted by Viper715 View Post
    My only hold back has been that the drop ins LED is powered on the low mode when with the Incan it was only the LED ring. I want to see what someoneís experience is.
    If that is the case, that completely defeats the entire purpose of this light. At least, in my opinion.

Ya Iím trying to understand that. Does that mean we lose our low mode where just the 3 leds are lit?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Ya Iím trying to understand that. Does that mean we lose our low mode where just the 3 leds are lit?
    Yes, it would

Oh. Iím not sure I like that. Well Iíll hold off judgement till I can find out more about it.

Thanks for posting up this interesting item.

I enjoy my A2 mainly because of the lamp, but nice to have options, I suppose.

I have an N319 in my Regulus proto, and there is a fair bit of tint variation across the beam.

Does it look like an incandescent? Wouldnít think it would with a color temp of 4000

From Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast