Weapon light Streamlight Surefire Malkoff or Elzetta

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hello, I'm looking for a light for my AR and am having trouble figuring which one. Weight is important to me since it's already weighed down by my scope etc. I also want it to at least have a high and low mode. I'm unsure of whether I need strobe and have read many debates on that haha. I'd prefer it to also accept 18650s.

Streamlight Pro Tac HL-X seems like the cheapest option here, and it also has 1000 lumens and programmable modes. Is it reliable as a weapon light? What would make the other 3 better choices?

I'm not very familiar with Surefire's options and there seems to be a large selection, but I do like how you can get a high/low option with a tailcap or head twist with Malkoff and Elzetta. It looks like Streamlight has the highest lumens by a bit, but how much of a difference does that make to the eye?

I want a decent balance of flood and throw as I might use it on a shotgun in the future for home defense also. Thanks.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61T in a MD2 body is what you want IMO, it has significant throw that you want but also very light weight and compact and takes 18650 cells. Elzetta does not take 18650 cells in some models.
Malkoff M61T, unless you want something a bit more floody. Then you can get Malkoff M61. I think all in all M61T or M61HOT for maximum lumens out of minimum package is what you want. They have 18650 that you require and dual modes. You can move up to M91T but it needs a 3-cell body.

You want something fully potted and heatsinked, Surefire offers neither, Malkoff offers both.

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Going to suggest looking at something you didn't ask about.

For an AR I like something very lightweight and very easy to use. Remember, this is going on the end of the barrel and you'll be using a thumb for activation. I also want it to use CR123s so I don't have to worry about the battery discharging on a light that will realistically get little to no use outside of a night time training course. (Which is a must if you're serious about a weapon mounted light.)

So with that, I suggest looking at an Inforce WMLx. Good look with what ever you pick and remember to train with it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a firearms guy, but I do have experience with Malkoff and Elzetta products. My understanding is that Elzetta lights are generally considered to be ideal for your application. However, based on your post, the trouble will be that the Bravo/Charlie AVS lights are not 18650 compatible. They are designed for CR123's only. The Elzetta Bones will accept 18mm cells, but it does not feature a low beam. In other words, you'll have to choose between 18650 compatibility and low beam. You can't have both, unless you have a stock Bravo battery tube bored out to accept the larger cell.

If you're flexible on that point, the Elzetta may be the ticket. If you insist on using rechargeable cells, then I'd steer you in the direction of Malkoff, where there are more options, all of which are compatible with 18mm cells. However, with a Malkoff, there may be some potential difficulty with the shrouded tail cap. Since I don't operate an AR, I can't say whether that would interfere, but I can imagine that you might prefer a true tactical tail cap, like an SF Z41. Fortunately, SF tail caps are compatible with Malkoff MD series battery tubes.

If you take the Malkoff route and find a suitable tail cap, you have high powered options like an HD 18650, or mid powered options like an MD2 with M61.

Malkoff and Elzetta products have much in common, including fully potted electronics, which makes them extremely robust. Let us know what you decide!

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a 16650 battery in the Elzetta bravo if you dont want to use cr123s and or want to bore the bodies.

There is a great Elzetta package for sale in the WTS section. cough... Modernflame.. cough...

maglite mike

Enlightened
I emailed Gene Malkoff and he recommended the following based on my needs.( that's customer service for ya). Of course I took his advise and bought the following.

The malkoff MD2 with the m61T head. This is mounted on my AR.

I also purchased the MD2 with the standard M61 floodier head with hi/lo for my Mossberg shot gun. And I bought another for my night stand.

The malkoffs are mounted with elzetta light holders. Great lights.

You can also go with the smaller malkoffs if weight is an issue.

There are lots of good options! One that don't mention that's really great is the Inforce WML. I'm not sure if it can run an 18650 or not but it's a great light. The Surefire X300 Ultra is also superb. At one point I had one on my AR but I needed a light on my shottie so it's on the Mossberg 500 Mariner right now. You really can't go wrong with an Elzetta Alpha/Bravo/Charlie setup! You can get a tape switch or use the push button depending on your preference. On an AR I really like to have the light at 12:00 so if I'm not using the Inforce I like a tape switch. Lastly, the Malkoff MD2 works fine on a rifle but I can't recommend a tape switch offhand (not sure what will fit but I'm relatively confident that the Primary Arms tape switch will work; it works on my Surefire 6P's and my Surefire 6P tailcaps fit the MD2 perfectly, but I have not actually tried the PA on the MD2).

Has the inforce light been improved upon ?

IMO nothing made improves upon it. Beyond that I'm not sure what you mean. Mine has been flawless, as has my Inforce APL. I have read some bad Amazon reviews occasionally but I've got a lot of rounds on mine with no issues at all. The one legit thing some could criticize is that it's tightly regulated- you get like one minute of warning before the battery is too dead to operate the light. To me that's something I can deal with but maybe not everyone can.

I've seen that. "The HOSS" is kind of clown, entertaining but not a great source of training info IMO. Perhaps he's a nice guy, don't know him personally. The other random youtube guy is an unknown to me. Travis Haley, a real door kicker from Force Recon, likes Inforce enough to partner with them to create a special version of the light tailored to his specs. I suppose we're all just bozos on the internet so take my free advice for what it's worth.:laughing: I can only say that the real hi-speed, low-drag guys seem to use them (along with Surefire and some of the others) and mine have been superb in actual use over the course of maybe five or six years. Also, since they have their own integral mounts (and this applies to the Surefire X300/X400 and some of the Streamlights) fight can vary from firearm to firearm.

IMO, for one specific use, ie using on an M4 or clone @ 12 o'clock, the Inforce WML is superb. If don't use the Costa-approved "C-clamp" hold and prefer to use your light in another manner them the WML will probably not be a good fit for you.

For pure durability I don't know of anything that can beat an Elzetta or Malkoff. If you're gonna throw the gun a lot, that's the way to go.:p

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
Former police officer with a ton of tactical training on weapons here.

For a home defense weapon that will sit in the corner forever, you really want 123 batteries. They are reliable, don't need charged, and have a ten year shelf life. This is why Elzetta refuses to use 18650 batteries in their top lights. Rechargeable are only good at saving you money if you do a lot of night training. Or if you hunt at night with the gun. Also, protected cells could turn off due to recoil. A weapon light is not a high use item. You should not be going through a dozen 123 batteries a year. Most likely, a pair of batteries should last 6 to 12 months... Unless you train/hunt at night, at which point you can use a 16650 battery if you REALLY plan on using the light a lot.

So requiring that it accepts 18650 batteries makes no sense, in my opinion.

Second point, I believe that every weapon in your house that could be used for defensive purposes should absolutely positively have a flashlight on it. As such, I own and use Elzetta, Malkoff, Surefire, AND Streamlight. I have all four brands mounted to guns. Surefire is MY personal favorite , followed by Elzetta and Malkoff. With the Chinese made ProTac Streamlights being barely adequate, in my view. I just find the three other brands to be much better quality, and likely more durable.

As to low/high, two mode lights, I don't know why you would want that? I want my weapon lights to be single mode, as bright as possible. If you want a navigation light (5 lumens) they make those and that would probably be a better choice than a dual mode light. Again, in my opinion.

My shotguns have a CDM gear mounts with Malkoff or Elzetta flashlights. The Elzetta shotgun mount is also a good value for the money and works well.

My carbines have Surefire Scout lights in Impact Weapon Components mounts. Highly recommended lights and mounts. Arisaka Defense light mounts are also of exceptional quality and highly recommended.

If money were no option, and you wanted the best carbine light on the market, I would look hard at the new dual fuel M600DF Surefire Scout light.

If your budget were $ 100ish dollars, the Streamlight Rail mount series should serve you well. They are decent enough, for the money.

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
Former police officer with a ton of tactical training on weapons here.

For a home defense weapon that will sit in the corner forever, you really want 123 batteries. They are reliable, don't need charged, and have a ten year shelf life. This is why Elzetta refuses to use 18650 batteries in their top lights. Rechargeable are only good at saving you money if you do a lot of night training. Or if you hunt at night with the gun. Also, protected cells could turn off due to recoil. A weapon light is not a high use item. You should not be going through a dozen 123 batteries a year. Most likely, a pair of batteries should last 6 to 12 months... Unless you train/hunt at night, at which point you can use a 16650 battery if you REALLY plan on using the light a lot.

So requiring that it accepts 18650 batteries makes no sense, in my opinion.

Second point, I believe that every weapon in your house that could be used for defensive purposes should absolutely positively have a flashlight on it. As such, I own and use Elzetta, Malkoff, Surefire, AND Streamlight. I have all four brands mounted to guns. Surefire is MY personal favorite , followed by Elzetta and Malkoff. With the Chinese made ProTac Streamlights being barely adequate, in my view. I just find the three other brands to be much better quality, and likely more durable.

As to low/high, two mode lights, I don't know why you would want that? I want my weapon lights to be single mode, as bright as possible. If you want a navigation light (5 lumens) they make those and that would probably be a better choice than a dual mode light. Again, in my opinion.

My shotguns have a CDM gear mounts with Malkoff or Elzetta flashlights. The Elzetta shotgun mount is also a good value for the money and works well.

My carbines have Surefire Scout lights in Impact Weapon Components mounts. Highly recommended lights and mounts. Arisaka Defense light mounts are also of exceptional quality and highly recommended.

If money were no option, and you wanted the best carbine light on the market, I would look hard at the new dual fuel M600DF Surefire Scout light.

If your budget were $ 100ish dollars, the Streamlight Rail mount series should serve you well. They are decent enough, for the money.
Agree. My mounted malkoff lights have c123 batteries for approx 2 years and they are practically full charge. I'll change them out soon. The malkoffs has no parasitic drain which is also a major plus. The eotech scope on my AR 15 also uses c123 batteries. I like to keep it as simple as possible when it comes to self defense and emergency related tools. I don't need all the bells and whistles. For me it's malkoffs for shtf and maglites for every day stuff.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
It's looking like I've narrowed it down to either the Inforce wmlx or the Elzetta Bravo.

I like the smaller profile of the Inforce and the ease of being able to mount it to any picatinny rail. It also looks like I can get it for about $150.

I like how the Elzetta has the option for high and low. I like having a low option just in case I need to conserve battery and am not just using it for home defense. The Elzetta is more expensive after buying the mount.

I think I need to figure out which setup is better since they mount differently and have different profiles.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I didn't mention Inforce because they are low quality junk. Avoid. There is a reason the lights have a terrible reputation...

A weapon light is a single purpose light. You mount it to your gun and leave it there for the next 15 years. YOU DO NOT WANT OR NEED LOW!! Mount it and forget it. Don't consider it a regular general purpose light that you can remove and use around the house. That is not what a weapon light is for. If you want a flashlight with low for the house "to conserve battery power" then buy one. But leave your weapon light alone.

Tell me which rifle, which handguard you have, and I may be able to offer some light mounting advice.

Last edited: