Review: Nitecore MT22C

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
IGP7415.jpg

IGP7416.jpg

IGP7418.jpg

Sent for review by Nitecore

Product Page @ Nitecore

For review I have the Nitecore MT22C , I guess this is the more multi purpose version of the EC22 which I just reviewed recently . The User Interface on the MT22C works literally in polar opposites to the EC22 . The rotary switch on the MT22C does not turn off or on the light , this is done VIA a forward clicky switch in the tail cap and where the MC22 rotary switch turns off the light the MT22C activates strobe . So literally the rotary switch works in the opposite direction on the MT22C . Is this confusing = No .
The only issue was that strobe started early , before clicking into position . So when turning the rotary dial for the highest output , at the very end of rotation where you are about to click into the Strobe position - Strobe starts ! We are talking about a fraction of a mm of rotation - early . ( For strobe ) If you don't care for strobe this can be annoying .
The light itself is simplicity to use : Just turn on and off the light VIA the tail switch , since its a forward clicky you can momentary the light on . The rotary switch gives you infinitely variable light from about 1 lumen to just over 1000 lumens .
1) The tail switch should lock out any parasitic drain
2) Leave the light level where you like it and every time you turn on the light - it's where you want it .
3) Minimum output is easy to select with the light off
4) Maximum light output should be easy to select with the light off
5) Momentary on

Performance :
Its a infinitely variable light ! Maximum output in my light box was over 1000 Lumens and as with the EC22 I can not measure maximum current because of the safety features built into the light . Minimum output was right at about 1 lumen measured . One of the things I really like is SOFT start . With the light off and cool , it actually starts gradually and ramps to what ever level you have chosen . As the light warms up with use it starts faster . This is a really neat feature as it helps to lengthen the service life of your Nitecore MT22C .

Build Quality :

The MT22C gets full marks for machining and anodizing , there is literally nothing to complain about in this regard . The only issue was the early start for strobe , as I did find it annoying when walking and pushing for maximum output to activate strobe before the switch actually clicked into position .

What would I do differently :

Oh man , that's easy - NO STROBE ! . I would leave the light as is and simply make the ( was strobe position ) click position a way to lock in maximum output . So rather than clicking into strobe , you lock into maximum output . Without strobe this would be one seriously good tactical flashlight , not just tactical or tacticool . But just a really sensible EDC flashlight that I think a lot of people could enjoy and use with confidence and ease ( Simplicity ) . To be honest I think less is more some times .

LEGO :

Yes , I have a EC22 and a MT22C and the question begs - Can you LEGO the two lights ?

YES YOU CAN ! ...

How ever ! You can not swap tail caps , if you wish to LEGO you must do so with the body tubes . So you can put the MT22C body tube / tail switch assembly onto the head assembly of the EC22 and the EC22 body onto the MT22C head assembly . Now putting the EC22 body on the MT22C makes little sense as you would have to turn it on and off like a twisty . But can I just say how freaking awesome the EC22 head is on the MT22C body . I love it !
First there is no STROBE , second you get the simplicity of the rotary switches infinite output selection with a forward clicky in the tail cap . ( OMG ) I did this and took it for a walk , and really - Nitecore needs to do this ( Is there already a model ? ) . The only downside is that swapping bodies shortens the internal length of your EC22 hybrid and you can not use protected batteries . ( I have lots of batteries ) . The Simplicity , the functionality , the portability , it's everything I have ever wanted from a flashlight . The Nitecore LEGO 22 gives the Nitecore Concept 1 a run for its money and if one was to consider every possible use for a flashlight then the WIN just might go to the Nitecore LEGO 22 .

Nitecore MT22C Final word :

I like everything about the MT22C except the strobe , especially as it kicks in early . I think the MT22C would do just fine without strobe . I found the build quality exceptionally good , in fact everything was good ( except strobe ) . If Nitecore did away with strobe or offered a model without strobe then I think they would have a seriously awesome product that could interest larger buyers . Police - Fire - Ambulance - Military - Aviation - anyone that is looking a a flashlight that is easy to use and performs . And the MT22C does perform , it really impresses and I would hope that more people are exposed to this series of lights as they really are functional .
Thinking about it , I would love to see a click position for both the highest and lowest settings and to be annoying maybe one in the middle as well . ( What the hell ) . I really like the MT22C , I also like the EC22 , but man ! I love the LEGO 22 ... It ticks every box I have for a EDC flashlight .

The clip - very firm , does the job
Smooth reflector - Nice beam profile
Anodizing - Quality and hard
Threads - So smooth , well machined
O rings - Fit just right and nicely lubed
Forward clicky - Very nice , firm with plenty of travel for momentary
Rotary Switch - So easy to use
Strobe - ? Dont need it
Nylon Holster - Fits the MT22C well , looks to be quality
Lanyard - Nice , strong ..
Soft Start - I really like soft start
Cigar Ring - Don't see these so much anymore , but I really like them - especially when using gloves .. Just gives a better grip on the light .
Comes with spare O rings

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. There isn't much talk yet on the forum on the MT22C. Interesting, I just got my MT22C in the mail today. I guess its an OK flashlight. It's not knocking my socks off though. Tint on mine is good. Beam pattern is kind of weird. More on that below. I have the MT20C and that has been one of my favorite lights because of the UP/DN mode select button. So I had to get the MT22C to see if I like it or not. But the MT20C has some issues for me too. One being that it only came with an XP-G2, I really didn't care for the red LED and it came with an improper sized holster or came with no holster (I can't remember). So nice to see the MT22C using the XP-L and it came with a decent holster :). The MT22C is about 1/2" longer than the MT20C.

I have to agree with you on the strobe. I think I read somewhere else someone complaining about it. I wish it wasn't there. I wouldn't mind it so much if you could activate it only when you want to. But its nearly impossible to know where the max output is until you reach strobe. It would be nice if there was a detent or click for the max output like there is for the strobe. When advancing to max output, you can't help but touch up against strobe and then you back off. If the light is off, then you can twist the dial counterclockwise until you hear the click (strobe) and then back it off (clicks again). Then when you turn it on you won't bump the strobe.

I don't know if you noticed but the reflector on the MT22C is fairly shallow and has quite a bit of space between the rim and the LED. I haven't seen a flashlight with that much space. It makes for an interesting beam pattern when white walling it. I'd call it a squarish beam with rounded corners. I think it's a non-issue and perhaps the reason for it is to compromise some throw for more flood.

The low level seems right on at 1 lumen according to my amateur light box. I also noticed that there is a slight soft start. If the light has been on recently and you are just using the momentary quite frequently, its not so pronounced which I like. I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of soft start to be honest. I took the cigar ring off. That way it fits all the way into the holster. I prefer it with just the pocket clip on..........just my preference.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
White walling is ? , I agree the beam pattern on a white wall is , how do I put this - deceptively NQR ..
But once you are out there say walking and using the light , it actually works rather well .
I have sort of given up on white walling because it is some what deceptive to the true nature of the light in the real world .
If you dont like it when out and about using it , thats ok ..

Yeah - the strobe needs to go .. I would like to see maybe 80% to just before the click ( Strobe setting ) and then 100% when clicked into position .. ( That could work ) or just use the click position to lock in the highest level .
The EC22 is to me a very nice general purpose flashlight , I would love to see a tailcap with forward clicky made available for it . ( Without raised ears )
Hmmmm , a clicky for the EC22 , or no strobe for the MT22C :)

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I just recently received one as well and the strobe before the detent is terribly annoying. Generally I can tell when I get max output but still I hit strobe way to often. Its completely uneeded and if it must be there it should be after the detent, not before. Otherwise its not a bad gig for the price and variable dial.