2 cents worth from a new member

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I just joined the posts and wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I'm not exactly a flashaholic, but I always somehow wind up in the flashlight aisle of any store I go to! So far I have gleaned a tremendous ammout of useful information from the posts and would like to give a hearty "Thank You" to everyone out there for the information you have shared.

I recently picked up a couple of Photons and found the post that suggested using clear aquarium tubing as a "bulb protector" for the LED. Just cut the tubing to a length a little longer than the LED and push over the LED. This works exceptionally well and I am sure has saved the LEDs from being broken/scratched from direct drops onto the asphalt as I fumbled with my keys in the wee hours of the morning. The tubing is available from wallymart for about $2. I don't see why this technique could not be used on other lights with exposed LED's that you may be worried about scuffing or breaking.

Along those same lines, if you take the same tubing and scuff it up a bit with emery paper or sandpaper, it glows when the light is on, turning the Photon into an effective area/tent light (possibly even rave lightstick kinda thingy if you cut it long?). If cut long so it can be pulled off the LED easily, you can quickly convert the light from one purpose to another.

Last cent worth: From a common end user point of view (and perhaps this distinguishes me from a true flashaholic), I really can't see spending more that $20-$30 for a flashlight. Just something to keep in mind for those people who read the posts and want to manufacture a flashlight for the "general user". Pocket (read: keychain) lights have to be light, tough and small - the smaller the better - after all they're on my keychain and my keys are in my pocket all of the time! Who wants a big, bulky light stabbing them in the leg all day? That's why I chose to use the photons.

General use lights have to be bright - the brighter the better. If I'm going to change a fuse or repair a flat tire, I want the brightest light I can find. I don't care if it will last 20 or 40 hours, 1-5 hours is fine as long as it is bright. This is why, of all the LED lights I see out there, the Lightwave 4000 or the Trek 14 look like pretty good options for the general users, but they're just too expensive. A Maglite is cheaper, just as bright if not brighter, and tough enough to handle repeated drops.

Again, just my 2 cents.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug - Welcome aboard. You make some very astute observations. I remember longing after a 3D Maglite for years, but never buying one because inexpensive and perfectly functional plastic flashlights were available.

Paying quite a bit more money to get long battery life is only going to appeal to a minority of the consumer marketplace. That makes LED flashlights something of a niche business. I consider the Photon (and similar lights) to be the exception since almost everyone can benefit from it. How else can you carry a light source at all times w/o bulk and weight. Arc light is also a nice option on a keyring.

Until prices drop, LED flashlights will remain something of a curiosity. People buying them will mostly be early adopters (all of us) and those with special needs like hikers, etc.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I'm not exactly a flashaholic, but I always somehow wind up in the flashlight aisle of any store I go to!"

Better watch out Doug. That is the first symptom of Flashaholism. LOL. Welcome aboard.

Spork

Enlightened
well im new to the forums myself and led lights all together. I carry the infinity on my keys. I only carry my house and car key so the extra size of the infinity isn't very noticable. I carry my keys on a belt hook so I don't even notice anyway. out of all my flashlights the infinity is my favorite. some of you guys are way to picky. 90% of the time my infinity is bright enough for whatever task I may need to do and since its only 19 dollars it wouldnt be that big of a deal if I lost it. I took it on a camping trip and was able to find my way around the camp ground with no other lights. i think if stores would start selling led lights regular flashlights would be nearly obsolete overnight and prices would come down.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You better watch out though... if the habit becomes out of control, you'll end up with 150 flashlights like me.
shocked.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrchri5 - I don't think anyone here is too "picky" (well, maybe a couple)
smile.gif
but, rather, "very enthusiastic". I often become the same way when engrossed by a hobby.....

telephony - That's what I'm afraid of...
tongue.gif