Question on Zebralight SC63 vs. SC64 UI (or old vs. new Zebralight)

Pablo__H

Newly Enlightened
After some searching for the "perfect" light for me, I decided to go with a Nitecore EC11, Olight S2 Baton, and one of the above-named Zebralights. :broke:

I have a question on the UI, though. My reading of the UI would seem to indicate that when pressing and holding the button, the light would default to L1, which on both by default is more than the 0.5 lumens I'm used to on my 4Seven QP2L-X and would be too much for a nighttime bathroom trip. However, on the SC64, as it is possible to reprogram L1 in G6 and G7, could I make L1 a sub-1-lumen mode and L2 the 2.9 lumen mode that L1 is be default in G5? then it would come on at the dimmer output, and if I wanted the slightly brighter one I could then double click to access it.

Does this make sense? and, if it does, is this setup the way I described it workable?

thanks

Keitho

Enlightened
I have both a 63 and 64. I like the 63 UI. You can set each of the 3 levels how you like--for example, set low to the lowest low, mid to the highest mid, and high to the lowest high (I hope that makes sense).

The 64, you can set low, mid, and high to absolutely any level (make them all sub-lumen, make them all the same level, make "high" the lowest setting, whatever).

Hope that helps.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need the new UI to do what you want. Just program L2 to be any of the moonlight modes you want, then shut off the light. Next time you "press and hold", it will turn on to whatever L2 (moonlight) mode you programmed.

The new UI allows more programming options, and introduces the G6 and G7 groups for that additional programming. I like the new UI, though I mainly use it for specialty applications, such as using the 6 lowest modes for nightime indoor use.

Normally, I leave my light in the G5 group, which is strictly the "old UI". The limited programability for the H2, M2, and L2 modes is good enough for most purposes. Plus, it doesn't make me confused when I use one of my older Zebras that only have the old UI.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm moving all my lights to the new UI. I can then just simply click to moonlight instead of press and hold and sometimes getting high in a dark room. Then I do double click for medium and press and hold for high modes. But might as well get the 64 since it has the original UI as well as the ability to use the new program functions in addition. It is one of my top lights.

Pablo__H

Newly Enlightened
Oh wow, I totally didn't think about the fact that I could program a "daytime" and "nighttime" interface under g6 and g7. thanks for that!!! I assume it's fairly easy to switch between the 2?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wow, I totally didn't think about the fact that I could program a "daytime" and "nighttime" interface under g6 and g7. thanks for that!!! I assume it's fairly easy to switch between the 2?

Very easy. 5 quick clicks from off for the standard G5 group ("old UI"). 6 clicks for group G6. 7 clicks for group G7. Once you're in a group, you stay there (unless you intentionally switch to another one) across battery changes, etc., and all programming affects only that group.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
the best advantage of the new UI is that you can set Mid to single click and Hight to double click

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
Everybody here is right on. And maybe this will clarify a bit:
"Old UI" as mentioned has a set "hi" version of H,M, and L. And the 'low' versions of H,M, and L can be set to various modes. Old UI's access to H,M, and L are set to "single click", "double click", and "longer press" respectively. The "hi' and "low" versions are toggled by double click when running in either H,M, or L.

The new groups 6 and 7 can have all 12 levels set wherever you want. Many here set theirs up so that (from off) single click starts on L, double click starts on M (this prevents a bright preflash when compared to Old UI), and long press to get to H.

I hope this helps in addition to all the other help!

There is a thread here that has some discussion as to how people like to set up their 6 and 7 groups. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Custom-Mode-Groups%97How-Did-You-Set-Yours-Up

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new groups 6 and 7 can have all 12 levels set wherever you want. Many here set theirs up so that (from off) single click starts on L, double click starts on M (this prevents a bright preflash when compared to Old UI), and long press to get to H.

It's how I set up mine like mentioned above