Malkoff MDX/VME Heads. Truly how waterproof/watertight are they?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Granted, I haven't come across any reports of issues with the waterproofness of the Malkoff MDX/VME heads, however, seeing the way that the gasket and lens fit inside the head, I have to be honest and say that to me, it doesn't instill as much confidence in it's watertight integrity as say, a 6P for example. The way that the 6P's glass and bezel ring are designed and fit comes across to me as possibly being a bit more secure. Maybe I'm wrong on that, it's just my observation.

I have also noticed that in Malkoff's photo listed on his webpage that the MDX head shows having 2 gaskets. When I owned one years ago, it was only supplied with 1 gasket. Is it advised to use 2 gaskets now?

This post isn't meant to say that Malkoff heads aren't waterproof, or that it's a bad design, I'm just looking to hear opinions about it's lens/gasket design compared to others lights. I'm really just looking for reassurance that the Malkoff MDX/VME heads are just fine in watertightness.:)

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience it seals very well. It's even difficult to take aprat once everything is well seated because the rubber gaskets does not want to let go if the lens/dropin.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Granted, I haven't come across any reports of issues with the waterproofness ....

I'm really just looking for reassurance that the Malkoff MDX/VME heads are just fine in watertightness.:)

What exactly do you mean by "waterproof" and "watertight" ?

I'm not trying to be funny, but very little is truly "waterproof" (at the bottom of the Mariana trench, let's say) ....

An example of your typical use case scenario would be helpful.

Do you regularly intend to submerge this ? How often, for how long, at what depth, static or dynamic, clean / contaminated / fresh / salt water, etc, etc ?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
What exactly do you mean by "waterproof" and "watertight" ?

I'm not trying to be funny, but very little is truly "waterproof" (at the bottom of the Mariana trench, let's say) ....

An example of your typical use case scenario would be helpful.

Do you regularly intend to submerge this ? How often, for how long, at what depth, static or dynamic, clean / contaminated / fresh / salt water, etc, etc ?

Just in a general sense is all, I'm not looking to scuba dive with one.

For example, I would consider a 6P to have a higher level of "waterproofing" than the $5 Energizer flashlight I seen at Walmart yesterday. I am just wondering how good the seal is on the MDX heads compared to other lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My brief search does not reveal a formal IP rating listed (not sure if this has been published anywhere or not) ... but your post suggests interest in "splash resistant" (without submersion) , so yes, you should be just fine :)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using both the 16.5 and 22.3 heads. The 16.5 for a few years and the 22.3 since it was released. i've neved had any water problems. They've neen dropped in 1 metre deep tanks of water and joined me in my bath.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar, It's from Winnie the Pooh. Still my favourite book. I used to read it on the train when I commuted to London. That's when I learned to ignore funny looks.
P

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff lights are like watches...

Water resistant to 300 feet (whatever that means).
No. My hound dog is waterproof, i can dunk that. My two md-2 heads and 2 vme heads are not 100%. If i dunk them, there will be a droplet or two of water getting in. Freshly lubed gasket, still leaks a tiny bit when dunked under water. No big deal, the m60 is potted. I read years ago that you can change a malkoff drop in under water with no problems other than water in the optics so i dont think about it. And i mostly use diving lights under water. Another thing is we can buy diving rated lights, and even those are not waterproof if you dont take good care of the o-rings. Clean the o-rings for hair, dust etc and lube them up before any use under water. Have used a lot of different aaa lights and a solarforce 6p clone for freediving down to 10 meters, and those work fine. So if you ask me, i think the 6p design is more waterproof than the md or vme design.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
No. My hound dog is waterproof, i can dunk that. My two md-2 heads and 2 vme heads are not 100%. If i dunk them, there will be a droplet or two of water getting in. Freshly lubed gasket, still leaks a tiny bit when dunked under water. No big deal, the m60 is potted. I read years ago that you can change a malkoff drop in under water with no problems other than water in the optics so i dont think about it. And i mostly use diving lights under water. Another thing is we can buy diving rated lights, and even those are not waterproof if you dont take good care of the o-rings. Clean the o-rings for hair, dust etc and lube them up before any use under water. Have used a lot of different aaa lights and a solarforce 6p clone for freediving down to 10 meters, and those work fine. So if you ask me, i think the 6p design is more waterproof than the md or vme design.

"My two md-2 heads and 2 vme heads are not 100%. If i dunk them, there will be a droplet or two of water getting in"

That was exactly my concern and the reason I made the thread. I remember putting together my old md2 head and m61 and thinking "I'm not so sure how confident I am in this lights ability to be submerged, say it fell into water, or somehow was put under water"

Redhos83

Newly Enlightened
I wash my MD2 HOT quite often with hot water and soap and never noticed any moisture. It has also took i trip in the pool once (dont ask). I use it for work in all types of weather and have got diesel along with who knows what else on it and it has came out unscathed every time. Thing is built like a tank. Short of taking it diving i wouldn't worry about any daily task that you can throw at it. If you did have any problems im sure Gene would take care of you. Awesome customer service!!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. My hound dog is waterproof, i can dunk that. My two md-2 heads and 2 vme heads are not 100%. If i dunk them, there will be a droplet or two of water getting in

Sounds like you need to replace your O-rings. Malkoffs are not dive lights, but they are dunkable unless the O-rings have been compromised.