Any such thing as a high quality flashlight with built-in COB light?

easilyled

Flashaholic
It struck me that there are hundreds of really cheap, poor quality led flashlights with a built-in COB light in the body, but not to my knowledge any well made ones of higher quality from respected manufacturers.

If this is the case, I wonder why?

It is relatively easy to incorporate a COB light in the body of any flashlight and it would enable a flood option that would fulfil various uses such as bedside illumination, reading illumination, indoor navigation at night etc.

parametrek

Enlightened
There are plenty of lights with dedicated auxiliary flood LEDs. Eagletac makes an entire line of them but uses a ring of LEDs built into the head. Sunwayman and Streamlight and Pelican also have a few with lights with an auxiliary flood. (In my database this is under the "features" filter with the "flood and throw" checkbox.)

You are right that actual COBs aren't common. I suspect that part of this is from construction difficulties. A large window in the side of a light is difficult to waterproof. Additionally most of small COBs can't put out any more lumens than a typical high output LED. Cost too is about the same. There is nothing to gain by using them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Nebo's Lil' Larry has an all aluminum body, you won't confuse it for a Zebralight, but a 250 lumen flood from a pen feels pretty quality..

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of lights with dedicated auxiliary flood LEDs. Eagletac makes an entire line of them but uses a ring of LEDs built into the head.

Plus there's this: http://eagletac.com/html/dx30lc2sr/specs.html That Eagtac has a sidelight rather than ring of lights. Is the XP-G2 sidelight in this floody enough to meet most people's definition of flood? It hits it for me

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the Eagletac recommendation. Would the auxilliary flood leds on these provide the same "work area" type flood beam that a COB would?

I like the idea of a flashlight that combines throw from the head and a "work area" flood if/when required. If the COB was capable of having a firefly level as well as bedtime reading and higher work area output this would be even better.

I was thinking that the CUBE flashlight would be a really cool design for a COB because being square it would not roll and the flashlight would be perfect for bedside duties too.

The link below is just for those that are unfamiliar with this design:-
https://reactual.com/outdoor-equipment-2/led-lights/buy-life-cube-xeno-flashlight.html

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
There are plenty of lights with dedicated auxiliary flood LEDs. Eagletac makes an entire line of them but uses a ring of LEDs built into the head. Sunwayman and Streamlight and Pelican also have a few with lights with an auxiliary flood. (In my database this is under the "features" filter with the "flood and throw" checkbox.)

You are right that actual COBs aren't common. I suspect that part of this is from construction difficulties. A large window in the side of a light is difficult to waterproof. Additionally most of small COBs can't put out any more lumens than a typical high output LED. Cost too is about the same. There is nothing to gain by using them.

I really love your website, Parametrek. But I disagree that "most of the small COBs can't put out any more lumens than a typical high output LED". And from what I have seen, 95% of all flashlights are not (100%) waterproof.

Actually, 'technically', you might in fact be 'correct' but I've seen with my own eyes how COBs "disperse" their lumens, and to me, that makes me VERY much appreciate the COB lights I have and give out. Of course, most of my lights are NOT COB lights, but I appreciate the COBs just AS much, and I think this explains their appeal and popularity. They emit or emanate light differently and we can't afford to minimize that.

One example that comes to mind is the Flip light, the "lightswitch flashlight", put out inexpensively by Harbor Freight. Recipients tell me how much better they can see their closet, their dorm room, their bedroom. And what a brilliant way to conceive of a (flash)light!

A second example is Nebo's Pink Li'l Lucy or the Lil Larry. Their throw is neatly amplified by their spill. No, they can never be confused with a true "thrower", but such is not their purpose. COBs help expand our understanding (and appreciation!) of light emitting diodes.

Although I admit I need to learn more (don't we all, haha!), I think the COBs tend to be more seductive of non-flashaholics while making a few of us true flashlight "dependent/loving" folk genuinely appreciative of their uniqueness.

We have everything to gain by understanding their uniqueness and their applications. Therein lies not only their limitations but also their strengths that I've tried to enumerate here.

With only 12 notes of the musical staff, new music continues to be written. With only 26 letters of the English alphabet, new thought continues to be expressed.

And with different ways to emanate or disperse light, a not very high number of lumens continues to enthrall and "enlighten" and bring joy to many.

- LetThereBeLight!

easilyled

Flashaholic
Neither expensive, nor custom, but the Nebo are probably the best quality I've seen use a "COB" emitter ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...O-ITEMS-HERE&p=4875308&viewfull=1#post4875308

Thanks arch. Yes, I've seen the NEBO lights and they seem better quality COB lights than most.

What I was getting at was a high quality flashlight that combines a more conventional throw beam from the head as well as a built-in COB and why this doesn't seem to be available.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You need to take another look at Nebo's offerings..
pP1LUy5.jpg

32jzcA3.jpg

evvqJKw.jpg

easilyled

Flashaholic
Ah! That's more like it. Thanks, I will have a good look.

EDIT: These are still not quite what I'd consider to be high quality flashlights but they illustrate the concept of what I'm looking for quite well.

If they had the workmanship of ACEBEAM/FENIX/THRUNITE, for example, with XPL-HI, or even better, XHP35-Hi emitters and wide enough reflectors to throw 600m like the ACEBEAM L16, as well as a built-in COB, then we'd really be talking.

The spot emitters in the NEBO lights are largely unspecified (meaning that they could be clones) and they clearly don't have anywhere near the throw/output mentioned above.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
I really love your website, Parametrek. But I disagree that "most of the small COBs can't put out any more lumens than a typical high output LED". And from what I have seen, 95% of all flashlights are not (100%) waterproof.

Thank you. But I wasn't trying to be correct on a technicality. Small (3V) COBs are very low output. Show me one that can do more than 1000 lumens. Where as it is trivial to find a single-die Cree LED that can do more than 1000 lumens.

I'm not sure what your complaint about waterproofing is? Are we still talking about nice flashlights? Because the majority of flashlights in my DB are IPX7 or IPX8 which counts as 100% waterproof unless you are a scuba diver.

easilyled said:
Please could you point me to the above.

Unfortunately Eagletac has those models spread out across several series so I can't link one official page. It is all of their lights with the "-DR" suffix but their site is laid out by series prefix. However you can get them by selecting "brand: Eagletac" and "type: lantern" in my database ;)

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Thank you. But I wasn't trying to be correct on a technicality. Small (3V) COBs are very low output. Show me one that can do more than 1000 lumens. Where as it is trivial to find a single-die Cree LED that can do more than 1000 lumens.

I'm not sure what your complaint about waterproofing is? Are we still talking about nice flashlights? Because the majority of flashlights in my DB are IPX7 or IPX8 which counts as 100% waterproof unless you are a scuba diver.

I've never been interested in a COB that can do anywhere near 1000 lumens. I was pointing out positive features/characteristics of COB lights that do much less lumens and why many like them.

And my point about water is that many lights available for purchase through vendors/websites are not 100% waterproof. I do not dismiss a light from consideration that is less than 100% waterproof and I am far from alone, and I of course do not quarrel with your preference for IPX7 or IPX8 lights.

I just don't think a light should be summarily dismissed if it is not IPX7 or IPX8 or if its lumens are considerably less than a 1,000. Flashlights can be "nice" for as many reasons as there are users/buyers.

In short, for all the aforementioned reasons and other unmentioned variables, it's perhaps best to agree that many definitions exist as to what is a "nice flashlight". That's all.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I can't claim to be an expert in the type of beam COB lights put out and how this differs from a single high-power emitter that is employed for flood purposes. I would tend to defer to LetThereBeLight in terms of it putting out a very agreeable beam form for tasks that require close illumination like reading, inspection of work projects and general short-range navigation.

For my purposes, since it appears that there's currently no such thing as a really high quality flashlight combining COB lights with more long ranging head emitters, then the high quality lights that have auxiliary side flood emitters are the next best thing.

With this in mind, having read a very favourable review of the ROFIS MR70, I took the plunge and decided to try it out.

easilyled

Flashaholic
It is all of their lights with the "-DR" suffix but their site is laid out by series prefix. However you can get them by selecting "brand: Eagletac" and "type: lantern" in my database ;)

Thanks. This is great info. I wasn't aware of these lights before and they certainly offer something different from most other high quality brands in terms of versatility in different beam types/uses. :thumbsup:

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on the torch you chose, once you've had an opportunity to use it for some time ....

easilyled

Flashaholic
OP, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on the torch you chose, once you've had an opportunity to use it for some time ....

I"ll do that. I hope they're as positive as in this review

I ordered it from Lightmalls and expect it to take a few weeks to arrive from Shenzhen once its dispatched.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have been looking for a quality one as well. Want to keep it in my get home bag. imo it's the perfect type of light if you need to walk at night and to be able to see way down the road if need be.