HDS Systems        

Thread: LED Throwies / Floaties Reborn! - With Brightest LEDs

Buttrock LED Throwies / Floaties Reborn! - With Brightest LEDs

Nostalgically many of you probably remember the led throwies or floaties that you'd tie to a balloon and let float off into space.

Many of the instructions for making those are outdated from back in 2007 and 2011. So in an attempt to refresh this concept with updated more efficient/powerful LED's I'd like to ask the community for help.

What is the brightest 5mm and 10mm LED's that I can buy that can be powered by some type of CR watch like battery? Also would I need a special type of resister? If so what kind?
    Because I don't know electronics very well it would be super helpful if any of you could post links to websites with the parts.

My main objective is to get the brightest LED possible powered by cell type battery. I'm ok if the light only last an hour or less.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Buttrock LED Throwies / Floaties Reborn! - With Brightest LEDs

Nostalgically many of you probably remember the led throwies or floaties that you'd tie to a balloon and let float off into space.

Many of the instructions for making those are outdated from back in 2007 and 2011. So in an attempt to refresh this concept with updated more efficient/powerful LED's I'd like to ask the community for help.

What is the brightest 5mm and 10mm LED's that I can buy that can be powered by some type of CR watch like battery? Also would I need a special type of resister? If so what kind?
    It would be super helpful if any of you could post links to websites with the parts.
    A led with a wide viewing angle would be preferred so that it could be seen from all sides

My main objective is to get the brightest LED possible powered by cell type battery. I'm ok if the light only last an hour or less.

Thank you in advance for your input!
    Last edited by cipherfx; 05-15-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: LED Throwies / Floaties Reborn! - With Brightest LEDs

It hasn't really changed much. The output of 5mm and 10mm LEDs are restricted by thermal limits. Encasing something in a block of epoxy doesn't provide much cooling.

The only new development since then are the "straw hat" style LEDs that are around 7mm and use very heavy leads for cooling. I believe the Nitecore Tube uses this style and it can do 45 lumens. I don't know the exact part number Nitecore is using but someone has figured it out somewhere on the internet. You can get some very similar LEDs for under a buck by googling "straw hat 35 lumen LED."
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    40 brands, 1936 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

Wow awesome thank you! Do you know what type of cell battery would be best? And do I need a resister?
    I'm also curios do you know if there are wide angle versions? Very excited and thank you again

I found some on amazon here
    8mm Straw Hat Wide Angle Cool / Clear White LED - Ultra Bright .5
    https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-I...dp/B01CI5P4B4/

What type of battery would work with this? and I wonder if I need a resister?

Thanks again

Flashaholic*

Regular cree leds is bright on a regular 3V coin cell. Runtimes, no idea. I just use a coincell to check if i got the + and- side in the right place when reflowing leds onto stars. Used the same battery for years, but only seconds at the time so.. Runtimes , no idea, brightness, hmmmm yes. xp-g, xm-l, xp-l, xp-e. There are lots of power leds that can be direct driven by a 3V coincell.

... similar threads merged ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

I was looking at this 5watt G4 light
    https://www.amazon.com/Ukey-Dimmable...dp/B06Y3MRRMV/

Can this light be driven by a 12V A23 battery? or would it be weak? I'm ok if it would only last 20-30 minutes

I tried lighting a 12v 4 chip with an 12vA23... Only glowed slightly, could see the chips in a dark room. Doubtful one would run +70 chips.
    I Got tired of looking for the light at the end of the tunnel so i lit that bitch up myself! Convoy s2 365nm, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, Amondotech n30, vss-3A, Reylight Ti Lan v3, Helius Sigma 9, astrolux s41 219, Shadow JM35, BLF GT,

So simply put what is the brightest led that I can get that can be effectively driven by a coin cell battery that has a good wide viewing angle preferably 120 deg? Even if it doesn't last 30 minutes?

Thanks