Attitude v Newbeam - runtime/brightness

wattsoccurring

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, another newbie de-lurking!
Finding this forum has opened up a whole new world of shiny gadgets to spirit away hard earned cash…excellent! (though my wife curses you all)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifReading these pages has so far seduced me into buying a PT-Tec40, Surge and Attitude, a Lightwave 4000, Streamlight Scorpion and a Photon II..and scarily the craving remains undiminished.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gifMy first question concerns the Attitude. Given that I already own and like this light, how worthwhile would it be considering an Opalec Newbeam , especially as the minimag I have is of the old type and would have to replace it.
My line of thinking is runtime and regulated versus non reg. Whilst the Attitude starts off a tad brighter than Opalec, how soon does it drop below the flat 9-10hr flat discharge of the Newbeam?
I realize from reading this forum that I'll end up buying everything eventually anyway, so I guess this is more an exercise in priorities.
I can't seem to find a runtime graph for the Attitude.
Any and all help appreciated.

paulr

Flashaholic
You can still use a Newbeam in an older Minimag, I think. You just have to modify the little plastic disc in some way. I've forgotten the details. Runtime for the Attitude and Newbeam should generally be fairly similar in that 9-10 hour period. The Newbeam will be very very steady, while the Attitude will taper off over the run. Main point of the Newbeam as I see it, is that it runs on two AA's instead of four AAA's. I have several Attitudes now and don't feel much desire for a Newbeam.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can cut the ears off the newbeam module or trim them. The old switch has a pair of oval slots not the round holes. The slot is narrower than the pins on the module.

If you don't wan't to hack up the module. Some one should have a leftover switch from a sandwich module transplant. Or go to Mag's website and follow thier links to vendors for parts. I think the switch is a couple of bucks that way.

My favorite method was to install the module and use a tail switch so I didn't have to twist the head.

Welcome from the mists of lurk, ex-lurker.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Attitude and a Newbeam. In my experience, the Newbeam is noticably brighter than the Attitude after about the first 30 minutes. I put my Newbeam in a Harbor Freight 1X123 cell light, and I wouldn't swap it for TEN Attitudes! The PT Attitude is a very good light, but I'm hooked on the rock-steady regulation of the Newbeam.

PJD

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, what did you have to do to put the Newbeam into the HF 1x123?

StuU

Enlightened
PJD-

Tell us a little more about that Harbor Freight 1X123 light. How is the switch? What is the relative weight? Is it EDC-able?

I have been looking for one lithium setup to put my Opalec into...not that the MM is not a first-rate light.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
The Newbeam is one excellent product. It has a dead-flat output curve unequalled by any other product.

The only thing CPF'rs can't figure out is why Opalec has not expanded into more products. With their flat regulation, a Luxeon product (for instance) would be a winner.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
springnr - agreed! The UK 4AA eLED is what I would call as close to a "luxeon Opalec" as we have seen so far. 10 hours nearly flat regulation + loads of reserve time. I ran mine for another 2 or 3 hours yesterday (still using the same batteries from the runtime test you mention). I put in new batteries and I could hardly tell the difference in output.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MDM said:
The Newbeam is one excellent product. It has a dead-flat output curve unequalled by any other product.

The only thing CPF'rs can't figure out is why Opalec has not expanded into more products. With their flat regulation, a Luxeon product (for instance) would be a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should also offer their conversions for more than just the Mini-Mag AA.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a post on this mod about 6 months ago in the mods forum...but I can't seem to find it. The mod was somewhat of a PITA, because I don't own many of the right tools. I was unable to post pics because I don't own a digi-cam, and if you don't post pics, then your posts have a tendancy to be overlooked.

Basically, I popped the lens and reflector out, and removed the bulb from it's brass base. I used a dremmel with a cutting disc to cut some grooves into the flanges at the top of the brass bulb disc, and press-fit the legs of the Newbeam module into the cut grooves. The leads of the Newbeam module fit through the bulb hole of the disc, and I used a piece of speaker wire slid over the leads to make them long enough. The half of the speaker wire that's on the positive lead makes direct contact with the positive contact of the 123 cell, and the half of the speaker wire that's over the negative lead makes contact with the brass bulb disc. The plastic adaptor sleeve that comes with the Newbeam drops right in the front of the bezel of the HF light, followed by the O-ring from a MM bezel, and the lens the came with Newbeam module is press-fit (snapped in is more like it...) on top of everything. I put a small rubber disc with a hole in it on the bottom of the bulb disc with the positive wire pulled through to keep the positive lead wire from touching the negative disc so the whole thing doesn't short out. The bulb disc with the Newbeam is then put back in the bezel end of the light's shaft, the bezel screwed back on...and VIOLA!

The neat thing about this mod is that nothing needed to be soldered or epoxied...It's all "press-fit", and has held up quite nicely. It's been dropped, kicked and stepped on and is working great. I DO apologize for my inability to post pics of this mod. I'm sure it would have gotten a lot more attention if I could have. I'm sure that I'm not the only "electronically challenged" member of this forum, and as a result of that, this was the perfect mod.

Ther was another CPFer who was selling some of the Harbor Freight 1X123 cell lights a while back, but I can't remember who it was...sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. In lieu of pics, I hope my narrative description of this mod helps a little...

PJD

Moat

Enlightened
... helps a lot!! Thanks, PJD.
I searched your old posts, and couldn't find it either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I too can't remember who the CPF'r was, but I do think he was sold out. I'll have to pick up one of these though, as this sounds like an excellent mod! The Newbeam is a great little module... but a little bulky (IMO) in the MagAA.

Thanks!

Bob

wattsoccurring

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say a big thanks to every body that has contributed to this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif;
especially to Pellidon and treek, the runtime page was a revelation and I've ordered an opalec to have a play with in my old mag.
The Harbour Freight mod sounds great and have earmarked that for my first attempt at modding.
Thanks again!