ARC CO, ANNOUNCES SURPRISE NEW LIGHT, SHOCKS FLASHLIGHT WORLD

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a surprise move, Arc company president Peter Gransee stunned the flashlight world and announced they will be the first to use the incredible Luxeon Star Power Light Source. The news struck fear in the hearts of flashlight manufactures around the globe.

"He moves faster than us and he asks the people who will be buying them what they want...we have been giving customers what we wanted for years and it`s worked fine...who would have ever guessed they had brains...it`s just not fair" said one manufacture who asked not to be identified.

"He say`s he`s going to do one thing...so we relax...then he does something far better...I think it`s dirty and underhanded...I`m disgusted" said another.

The head of the flashlight manufactures cartel commented "This is just another reason the internet needs to be strickly regulated...I knew that damm candle power place would be trouble from the moment they opened"

Read all about it in the manufactures/dealer forum.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I'd better dust off the camera & photometer and get out the belt.
This wild baby might need some TAMING!!
smile.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
Thanks Ken.... I never check over there...

Great....I need help with features of each of these lights.

I reserved a Cyan...Are its advantages..night vision and extra long life??

LED colors: white, blue, red, yellow, green, Cyan (blue-green) and royal blue

"Arc" home site has fairly good descriptions...What I am curious about is with the " Luxeon Star " led, are there any considerations that would influence a choice?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This beast, I heard, is wilder than other animals I've seen.
shocked.gif

Setting-up the photo arena for the awaited match between this beast against not one but three or more other wild animals.
cool.gif

Just want to make sure this Arczilla does not demolish the others in one flash, or at least leave them alive long enough for the camera.
grin.gif
grin.gif

- verge -

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Wow, Gadget -- thanks for the link -- that's an impressively bright light....!

But... but... does this mean the Arc-LS is going to come with the 8 lumen LED's?

"The new (18-lumen white) Luxeon Star power-light-source LEDs should hit the market in the summer though I don`t know the exact date."

DOH. I want the 18-lumen one. Waah. =)

funk

Enlightened
Very cool - any idea what kind of price tag they will have?

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Heya videocal,

I just hopped on recently myself, but having read through the original discussion that led up to themanufacturer's announcement thread, it looks like the folks at Arc Flashlights were willing to go all the way out and put in a new, single LED + lens + reflector to replace the 5 LED + reflector design. I was a bit confused about this initially, as I had heard so much about the ARC-5 (now the ARC-LS). Still, having read through what I have, I think it's an excellent decision on their part. =)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
But... but... does this mean the Arc-LS is going to come with the 8 lumen LED's?

No, my 8 lumen one is a 2 year old prototype. The new ones as Peter points out above, are over twice as bright, but probably the slightly underdriven Arc light will not give 18 lumens. Maybe 15? It should easilly rival a SureFire e1, at least with the 3 volt 2AA/lithium-123 battery pack.

...and put in a new, single LED + lens + reflector...

Actually the lens is a reflector, it`s a conical shape solid clear plastic prismatic lens that acts like a reflector- but is more efficient transmitting more light than silvered reflectors. It is supplied as an option with the LED module itsself, the good people at Arc Flashlight are just making a head to enclose this supplied lens.
The LED modules are made this way since the LED is low down and doesn`t stick out too much fom the board, and also it runs cool compared to bulbs so the all plastic lens won`t melt. Clever really, and makes a very smooth beam, even the coloured ones.

shocked.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, have you seen the amber one? I received their info pack a week ago and was looking at the technical data sheets.

They have the amber at 20 lumin (tipical luminous flux...page 3)

They have the minimum forward voltage at 2.25 (amber & red have the lowest) and the maximum voltage at 3.27...(page 4)

On page 5 the chart (forward current characteristics) show it drawing about 385ish millamps at the max rating (3.27 volts) and about 50 ma at the low (2.25)

Do you think this would be a good one to mate with a single 123 batt with no resistor. I guess I`m trying to compare it to the E-1...15 lumen vs 20 lumen...700 ma draw vs 385 at the start.

I was thinking it would be brighter and run maybe...3 times as long?...but amber...I don`t know...if it`s more yellow than red it might be the thing. What do you think? Have you seen it?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc-LS will have the 18 lumen model. Here's the specs at 350mA:

White: 4500k Temp, 18 lumens, 15 lm/w (lumens/watt)
Green: 530nm,10.8 lumens, 9 lm/w
Cyan: 505nm,17.2 lumens, 14 lm/w
Blue: 470nm,6.7 lumens,5.6 lm/w
Red: 629nm,12.5 lumens, 18.4 lm/w
Amber: 590nm,12.5 lumens, 18.4 lm/w

Peter Gransee

DaveH

Enlightened
Ok, maybe you could brand me a heretic, but this Arclight LS will be about the size of a 2AA Mini-maglite, be approximately as bright, perhaps saving money on batteries, and cost about 8 times more.

It seems to me as the power rises for an LED it's size and cost are less competitve as compared to traditional flashlights.

Oh sure, I'll probably want one, but it seems like this kind of thing would not have a widespread appeal.

DaveH

KenBar

Enlightened
DaveH..You sound like my wife!!
smile.gif
LOL
We make a good couple. I need her balance!

Here is my 2cents worth.

Check out this company.
Site that sells the "Best" of each product category

They have been in existence since 1848 for people who wanted the best. I would rather have 3 top quality flashlights than many more less well made ones. They also stand behind their products like Arc. I am willing to pay a premium for this service.

You do have a good point, however. At the same time, I would have GLADLY paid an extra 20 bucks for the Eternalight to be made just a little better. It is a hard call. This is not a business for the faint of heart or wallet
smile.gif

It would not surprise me to see Arc's newest flashlight in the catalog for Christmas..It is not easy to get accepted by them either.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee, you might want to take a look at your spec post...I think you took the numbers off the "Preliminary Power Light Source Design Guide"...page #5.

If you look at the updated Technical Data sheets...page #3 the Typical Luminous specs are as follows:

WHITE: 18
GREEN: 25
CYAN : 30 ??what color is this??
BLUE : 11 ??hmm??
RED : 25
AMBER: 20