Small PR Light with Pics

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I've been at it again. I really love chopping up these PR's. They seem to like it.

I just had to throw the first pics in. This is what my shop looks like after half a dozen mods and building two lights.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

And now for the show...

I got my hands on a mini m@g head and wanted to see if I could get a PR and BB500 into it. I went with a BB500 because it was my intention that this light be run on a single 123 exclusively and 500mA is about all a 123 can muster and stay in rated regulation. I used a Q3J for this mod. It is a parts light. Since I didn't know how it would turn out, I used stuff that was laying around, with the exception of the BB500.

Here's a comparison to a modded KL4 on an E1e body.
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

And the front end...
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

And the obligatory beam shot. Since it's light outside, I took this laying on my bathroom floor. The ceiling is about 8' high. On the left is the mod and on the right is a KL4 that was biased to around 1A. It has a Q3J in it and it's running at about 500mA on the single 123.
picture.JPG

You might be asking "what's up with the plastic ring on the end. That's an experiment in attachments. I didn't want to use any aluminum (I'm out right now) and delrin is really easy to work and pretty strong. The present spacer is just that. A spacer to lengthen the body to accomodate the Kroll. I also have, in the works, a spacer that will shroud the Kroll, allowing the light to be stood on end. I'm also planning to turn a brass knob to allow the light to be used as a twisty, making it even smaller.

You might say that I've just re-invented the Arc, but I haven't seen an Arc yet with a beam like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like this thing. It's smaller than the already small "TW4" and it put out, what I think is, a better beam.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Tony,

Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I see your workbench looks like mine, with nary a square inch of horizontal surface to put stuff on!

clapon

Newly Enlightened
...and I thought my woodshop was a mess...

Cool light though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

And, uh, let's try to keep off the floor huh.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
clapon,

I order my stuff from onlinemetals.com and all they have is natural (what you see) and black. I don't know if it comes in any other colors.

tyler,

Yes, I turned the body myself. The threads were pretty much a non issue because I had to ream the head anyway to accept a 123 sized body. I threaded both the head and the body 13/16-20.

Kabible,

Make me an offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif At the right price, just about anything is for sale.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! That's quite a lathe creation. So how long did it take to do that? What's surprising to me is the quality of the beam from the PR. I know you don't have an Arc4 but it would be great to see a side by side shot of it. And oh man, that lathe looks huge. I'm gonna have trouble finding space in my garage for it. Maybe my wife will let me put it in the dining room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cris, the lathe is small. Maybe two feet wide, 1 foot tall and 1 foot deep. You need room to work, of course, but not that much.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Bulk,

What are you talking about. It's clean!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haw! But where do you park your car?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Bulk,

What are you talking about. It's clean!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haw! But where do you park your car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Car?! what car?
who need car anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,

Since I was treading new territory, it took a while. I figure 5 or 6 hours total. The next one, if there's a next one, will go more quickly.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Tony,

Very nice job!! (Every horozontal surface above the floor in my home/garage is piled abt 4" deep in tools/parts/projects etc. I would be embarrassed to post a pic!)

Larry

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
oi oi, not fair.
you guys should follow tony's lead. get some pics of your works space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Come on, we want to see what great modders' machine rooms look like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw Tony
would the output of the cut down PR be similar then to the sputtered MM reflector that Darky currently offer? they are of the same diameter, so their performance should be similar, right?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
shiftd,

I'm gonna guess that the turned down PR will have a better output than the MM reflector. They are not the same size. I had to take a lot of material off of the inside of the MM head to make the PR fit. Actually, I took as much material off of the inside of the mini m@g reflector, because I wanted to be able to leave the PR as big as possible.

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice work Tony, as ussual! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Dont feel bad about the messy shop.
If i drop a piece on my workbench, its GONE ! lol

I try to clean it up, but when you are in the heat of the creation moment, it gets messy fast.

I really like the look of that light.
With a guard, it would be perfect.