CMG Reactor 3 vs. SL TwinTask 3AA vs. SL TaskLight

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened
I've narrowed down my choices to these three models.
But it's really tough for me to make a decision.
Could anybody give me some advice please?

I like Reactor3 because of the long bulb life, long run time and the Luxeon LED, but it doesn't have the adjustable focusing fuction. So, I'm wondering is adjustable focusing really necessary and useful?

For SL Twintask 3AA, I like its dual mode; but, I don't know how dim the LED mode is, comparing to Reactor3 and TaskLight. Besides, is Xenon bulb really much brighter than Luxeon LED?

I really like SL TaskLight, but its bulb's life (10,000 hr) seems to be 10 times shorter than Reactor3's (100,000 hr). Both Reactor3 and TaskLight are equipped with Luxeon LED, but why does TaskLight have a shorter lifetime? Is it brighter than Reactor3?

Please help me making decision, Thanks in advance!
Any advice and suggestion will be appreciated.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG 3AA used to be one of my favorite cheap lights, but the Streamlight TwinTask 3AA LED is much brighter, and it has a regular switch. It's a great light for about the same money. Sorry I don't know about the bulb life, but 100,000 hours seems on the long side. I think that by the time you wear out the SL 3AA LED there will be much better lights on the market.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: CMG Reactor 3 vs. SL TwinTask 3AA vs. SL TaskL

Don't worry about the 10,000 vs 100,000 hour thing, think about how many batteries you'll have to buy before you wear out the led, and those numbers are all hype anyway. Also, leds operating normally don't eventually burn out like a bulb. They just get dimmer over time. So your light won't suddenly leave you in the dark, if that's what you're worried about.

You should also look at the new UKE 4AA eLED, which is regulated, and a great value at $20 from brightguy.com .

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Josey said:
The CMG 3AA used to be one of my favorite cheap lights, but the Streamlight TwinTask 3AA LED is much brighter, and it has a regular switch. ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks!
Since TwinTask has two modes, did you mean that the Xenon mode is much brighter than reactor3?

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
You should also look at the new UKE 4AA eLED, which is regulated, and a great value at $20 from brightguy.com .

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.....but...I don't live in US.
I just tried checking out on Brightguy.com,
but it asked me to enter 5-digit zip code only....

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SL Task Light is much brighter than the CMG Reactor (3).

The 3AA Twin Task incandescent is a bit better in throw, and lumens, than the 3 AA Task Light Luxeon.

The Twin Task LEDs only give perhaps 20% of the brightness of the one watt luxeon, enough to walk around in the dark, but no throw to speak of.

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened

Thanks!
one more question please, does TaskLight have adjustable focus?
I just found flashreviews.com and on TaskLight got a feature icon like this:
b_m.gif

Also, in the review, it doesn't metion a word about focus. I'm just wondering how can TaskLight not have the adjustable function since its appearance is almost identical to TwinTask, which has adjustable focus.
b_a.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Twintasks have a spring behind the reflector to facilitate focusing and are listed as such in the packaging - hence the focusable icon.

The Tasklight is not listed as focusable in the literature and although it is slightly focusable with the bezel, it does not appear to be it's intended operation. Hence the non-focusable icon.

You can always send me an e-mail with specific questions about my reviews - I may tend to miss them if they're posted here instead.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, MacGyver. I meant to say the TaskLight 3AA Luxeon is much brighter than the CMG Reactor 3AA Luxeon. And the TaskLight has a regular switch. The CMG has a funky twist switch that a lot of people don't like, although it's not a problem for me. I just like a regular switch better.

The TaskLight does seem to have a focusable bezel, in that it turns many times and the beam is somewhat affected. But it is pretty worthless, IMHO.

The TaskLight 3AA is about as bright as the Arc4+ on bright, but the Arc has a better quality beam. For the money, I think it's a great light. It was better than I expected, and usually lights don't meet my overly optimistic expectations.

If you can afford it, the Surefire L6 is a way better light and is about the same size. The Arc4+ is better, too, and is way smaller. If you have to pay a lot for shipping, you may as well get a better light.

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Josey said:
If you can afford it, the Surefire L6 is a way better light and is about the same size. The Arc4+ is better, too, and is way smaller. If you have to pay a lot for shipping, you may as well get a better light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your advice.
I guess I'll have to stick to TaskLight....the price of Arc4+ and Surefire L6 really scared the sh*t out me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif