Thrunite Tn42 or Tn40? Or other?

garage_logician

Newly Enlightened
I am looking (once again) for a light to carry in the boat. I fish on a lot of large lakes and being able to spot buoys, channels, markers, etc is important. But, equally as important is having enough flood to be able to spot deadheads or anything else in the water.

Initially I was thinking the Tn42 would be the one. Great throw to say the least, but I am not so sure about the flood. That leads me to look at the Tn40, I give up a little on the throw but I get more flood. Am I right in that assessment? Which one would you recommend? Or is there another light entirely that would be better for my needs?

Thanks!
-g

fmc1

Enlightened
The TN-42 is a great buoy spotting light that's exactly why I bought mine. My son had a bead on a buoy that according to the GPS was .8 miles way when I first got it. From that day on we never went out without it at night. The beam is very narrow which helps not interfere with the night vision of the driver. He had it on turbo well over an hour with no noticeable step down. Also to me nw does not seem to bounce off water as much as cw.

Frank

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
The Tn42 would be for pure throw no flood (pencil beam), if you want throw with some flood definitely go with the tn40. I would also recommend NW.

-Pocketlight88

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your application, I'll second the TN40S NW recommendation.

Because of the very specialized beam profile, our TN42 doesn't get much use. Whereas the TN40S NW get used daily around our farm and property.

garage_logician

Newly Enlightened
TN40 it is (I think I want the one with the rechargeable battery pack). I have been searching for the TN40 in NW and I cannot seem to find it, but then again I don't shop that often for lights so I am probably overlooking several outlets. Can someone recommend a vendor with decent service and prices and most importantly, has a TN40 in NW in stock? :)

Thanks
-g

fmc1

Enlightened
TN40 it is (I think I want the one with the rechargeable battery pack). I have been searching for the TN40 in NW and I cannot seem to find it, but then again I don't shop that often for lights so I am probably overlooking several outlets. Can someone recommend a vendor with decent service and prices and most importantly, has a TN40 in NW in stock? :)

Thanks
-g

I think you are having trouble finding one because you are looking for a rechargeable TN40 in NW. I don't think that combo ever was offered. NW that takes regular 18650's or CW with the rechargeable battery pack is available on amazon. The only down side to the replaceable 18650 model is you need a charger. Other than that it's all good.

Frank