LED QUESTION.. SHOULD BE EASY

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello, i dont know if anyone is intrested in gasoline remote control cars but these cars have bodies that attach to them that you can attach lights to. All i would like to know how to do is make a simple circuit with LED lights. Which parts do i need? If you say names i am clueless so maybe you could post a picture too. Also, if anyone can post a diagram it would be helpful. Thanks!!! You may also want to check this out; http://www.traxxas.com/ubb/Forum27/HTML/000706.html

Like for mock headlights, taillights?

It isn't as easy to describe as you think.
smile.gif

The white LEDs we all talk about here aren't usually available except for online sources. Sometimes, Radio Shack will have them, but you have to actually go there since their salepeople are generally clueless about electronics.
wink.gif

Anyway, if you want just headlights, you'll need a couple white Nichia brand LEDs. You hook these up in parallel to a power source. You only need about 3.6 volts, so NiCads would be perfect. You can power them from your receiver pack, but you'll have to put a resistor in series with them or they'll fry.
wink.gif

Need more info on what you want to do.

Will you use Rx pack, or use seperate battery pack (what type)?
Headlight only? Taillights? How many of each and what colors?
Do you have any electrical experience (Ohm's law, soldering, wiring)?

Give us details, you'll get more responses.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Gadget. i know, the people at radio shack are really dumb. They said i could light an LED light with a regular 9 volt and having no idea about LEDs i believed him; mistake! they burned out the LEDs as well a buring my hand. LOL. Any way, im trying to do something like this:
View
this is the outside of the body. The LEDs would be poked through the body. So the wiring would be hidden on the inside. Basically all i want to do is make 1 complete circuit with 2 blue LEDS in front and 2 RED LEDs in back.
View
I have no esperice with lighting but learn easily. I know how to solder, but thats about it. I am hoping to use a 9 Volt Battery. i allready have a connector that connects to a 9 Volt and has 2 wires comeing out of it; blue and red. Thank you for your help!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Come on, anyone; you guys are amayzingly good at this stuff and this problem should be easy, i think!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave, I`m not really the one to help as I have little tech skills, but since your not getting a lot of responce on this neat project, without useing resisters...and a 9 volt batt...for the headlights, you can run the two Nichias`s in series at 4.5 volt (9 devided by 2)...a little overdriven, but they will likely hold up (heat sinking could help here). For the tail lights...off the same batt...how about running three reds in series, for three volts each...maybe use the third for a dome light? Maybe ground effects? How about for a license plate light...keep those R/C cops off your back?
tongue.gif

Sorry...it`s the best I can do...I hope one of our other members gives you a real answer.

StuU

Enlightened
KenB has a good idea about running the two headlights in series with a 9V battery. I would recommend using also a 100 ohm resistor in the series to keep the current around 20 ma. Some guys would run a higher amperage but 20 ma will give you long battery and led life and all the light you could use.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gadget, or anyone else; can you please label what everything is; for all i seem to know is the battery. And also what all the numbers mean; thanks a lot everyone! I knew i could get good solid help here. Thanks for your time!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The white (headlights) are on the left and are the triangle looking things...Gadget is putting a 90 Ohm resister in there (Radioshack stuff) and has them hooked up in series.

Same thing on the right (tail lights) but with a 330 Ohm resister...I`d go with his plan...he knows what he`s doing...I don`t
tongue.gif

Marked

Enlightened
>| = LED

/\/\/ = resister

./. = switch

3.6V is the White LEDs
1.7V is the Red LEDs

Yep, sorry.

Thanks guys for the help.
wink.gif

Squiggly things are resistors. The resistance is next to them. You won't find exactly a 90 ohm resistor. You can use a 100 ohm instead. 100 and 330 are standard resistor sizes.
LEDs are the triangle/line things. The voltage next to them is the recommended voltage. Make sure you get the polarity right.

Hooked up like this, all 4 lights will come on and should be at their "rated" brightnesses.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The resistors are used in-line. In the schematic a wire would connect to one lead of the led, the other lead would connect to the resistor. The other side of the resistor is attached to the other led and then the last led lead connects to the wire. Same thing happens on both sides of the circuit. The components layout just like the line drawing.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's not R/C stuffs, my girl friend does collect metal miniature cars. She has a collection of Beetles (13 different colors) with red LED headlamps in all of them. There's a small button under these miniature beetles, pressing the button, LED headlamps will be on.

These miniature beetle measured around 1.5" x 1" and looks pretty cute and especially when they're lined up in front of her other bigger miniature collection - Aston Martin, Datsun Fairlady convertible, Lambo, and many other limited editon collectibles. The funny things is the price for these metal miniature beetles with LED headlamps, $0.65 each.

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You guys rock! I made it, it work amayzingly, its bright and all my friends are jealous! when i get a digicam or when i get my pics developed ill post em! Thanks everyone!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

QUICK QUESTION... DOES THE RESISTOR GET CONNECTED TO BOTH THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SIDES OF THE LED OR JUST ONE... WHIHC ONE???