Other lights using the Emissar D4 UI?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Is there a list?
Don't like stubby lights; want it to stick out beyond my fist.

If they made the D4 with a 2" long heat sink ...

light-modder

Enlightened
There's a similar option on some aftermarket drivers. It's called D4 UI v2. I don't know the exact differences. Available from mtnelectronics. I put one in a Convoy L6, it's pretty sweet.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Emisar UI is a simple version of Tom E's Narsil UI, which can also be found on the BLF GT and Q8 projects. I'd recommend a search on BLF for Narsil or Toykeeper's version Anduril. It's all open source so with some work you can flash either one onto your own driver.

light-modder

Enlightened
What equipment is required for flashing ones own drivers? I've been interested in this for a little bit. Don't have money for it right now so I haven't looked into it but since it was mentioned I thought I'd ask.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What equipment is required for flashing ones own drivers? I've been interested in this for a little bit. Don't have money for it right now so I haven't looked into it but since it was mentioned I thought I'd ask.

You can contact dB custom on blf and see how he did the ramping driver on the solarforce m7 I have

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/50263

Light number 14 in the 2nd post

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a wiki article here:
http://flashlightwiki.com/AVR_Drivers

It amounts to something like $20 worth of parts, a little bit of software, and usually the ability to desolder the driver board from the light so you can reach the microcontroller chip.

This mainly applies to drivers using the Atmel ATTiny series microcontrollers. Be aware the ATTiny13 used in many Convoys and some other lights doesn't have the memory space to install very complex firmware, although I seem to recall somebody had a very basic ramping firmware that could run on it.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
PflexPro supposedly offers a light with "crescendo" firmware which I believe is used in the D4...? The UI is described in the "flashlight 101-drivers" subsection on the website but I couldn't find which light(s) he offers it in...it just says it isn't offered in a single-emitter configuration. Maybe email them. He (Randy) has been responsive when ever I've contacted him.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights with D4 UI:

Emisar D4, D1, D1s

BLF Q8: uses Narsil, which in default is basically the same as the D4 UI, but has more options.

I think the BLF GT also uses Narsil.

Other than that you can buy drivers from Mountain Electronics with the D4 UI on them and then install them. You will need soldering skills though. And possibly gluing skills as you may need to install a new switch on the driver.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
PflexPro supposedly offers a light with "crescendo" firmware which I believe is used in the D4...? The UI is described in the "flashlight 101-drivers" subsection on the website but I couldn't find which light(s) he offers it in...it just says it isn't offered in a single-emitter configuration. Maybe email them. He (Randy) has been responsive when ever I've contacted him.

Crescendo is for mechanical switches. Randy at PFlexPRO can put it in numerous flashlights but it is not the same as the electronic switch Emisar flashlights. Basically it takes more clicks, but may be just fine for many people. It also really needs to be used with a reverse-clicky switch, which is a good thing for a navigation flashlight requiring more amperage. Randy told me that mtnelectronics does not have the electronic switch Emisar version; that it may be purchased directly from China.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Crescendo is for mechanical switches. Randy at PFlexPRO can put it in numerous flashlights but it is not the same as the electronic switch Emisar flashlights. Basically it takes more clicks, but may be just fine for many people. It also really needs to be used with a reverse-clicky switch, which is a good thing for a navigation flashlight requiring more amperage. Randy told me that mtnelectronics does not have the electronic switch Emisar version; that it may be purchased directly from China.

Ah....good to know! Thanks! (This is why I love this place...knowledge abounds!)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that you want, that uses momentary switch can use a driver with the D4 UI.
Mountain Electronics has a few drivers that can be selected with the D4 Emisar program.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that you want, that uses momentary switch can use a driver with the D4 UI.
Mountain Electronics has a few drivers that can be selected with the D4 Emisar program.

When you say momentary switch, you are talking about a flashlight that activates only when the switch is pressed, going off when released? Or are you referring to a forward clicky switch that is capable of activation with a half-press, going off when released yet capable of staying on continuously with a full click?

The ramping user interface Crescendo (with a reverse clicky switch) uses half press to set light levels, with a full click to turn it on or off. When I first got a PFlexPRO quad XPL HI 5000K solid copper dropin with Crescendo, the action with a forward clicky switch was mostly chaotic, ramping up and down a lot. The electronic switch Emisar ramping interface allows a press/hold to initially ramp up, letting off on the switch at a desired light level. A double click from off or on gets to maximum. It also has last mode memory, remembering the light level when turned off and going back to it when clicked back on. Crescendo requires the flashlight to be on, then a triple click to maximum. And if it has last mode memory (which Toykeeper's UI diagram indicates), I have not figured how to use it and would greatly appreciate a CPF member enlightening us on it.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
An "eswitch" is still a mechanical switch. It is normally connected and when you press it you break the connection. Compare this to the switches you are describing, they are off until you actuate them. The eswitch works by having a pin on the microcontroller grounded and once you press the switch it breaks this ground an "event" occurs. This event is what determines what the firmware does.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
An "eswitch" is still a mechanical switch. It is normally connected and when you press it you break the connection. Compare this to the switches you are describing, they are off until you actuate them. The eswitch works by having a pin on the microcontroller grounded and once you press the switch it breaks this ground an "event" occurs. This event is what determines what the firmware does.
"E-switches" use a momentary pushbutton combined with a control circuit. The momentary pushbutton only conducts electricity while the switch button is depressed. Once the switch is released, it no longer conducts electricity. Momentary pushbuttons are mechanically much simpler than clicky pushbuttons and can be quite small with fine wiring since main current from the cell typically does not pass through the switch.

The control circuit for an e-switch is usually part of the driver firmware so is built-in to the driver. Though some e-switch lights do have a separate board controlling them and function more like clickies. With an e-switch, the driver or switch circuit remains energized. Pressing the button is simply the input the user provides to the circuit to let it know to take action as per its programming.

E-switches are capable of more sophisticated and intuitive UIs than clicky switches. Because the driver circuit in some e-switch lights is charged all the time, it can do things like time how long you've held the button on or off for example... something clicky switch lights aren't good at. This is how you get things like the elegant D4 UI. You couldn't get a UI as good as that with a clicky.

One disadvantage of e-switches is there is a small amount of parasitic battery drain even when the light is not on. This is because some power is used to keep the e-switch circuit energized.

"Clicky" switches or "mechanical" switches work differently. In a clicky, main current from the battery flows directly through the switch. When the switch is in the off position, all power to all parts of the light is cut off.

Because main current flows directly through the switch clicky switches must be heavier built (and therefore bulkier) than the momentary pushbuttons used with e-switches.

Also, clicky switches are mechanically more complex. Inside a clicky switch is a tiny rotating device that works the same way as a pushbutton ballpoint pen. This device makes it so when you press it once, it clicks to on and current stays connected even when you release the button. Press it again and current disconnects, etc.

Clicky switch lights tend to be simpler to construct than e-switch lights since it is not necessary to have a separate pushbutton wired directly to the driver. They're much simpler when it comes to building a light with a switch in the tailcap. Also, because main current is cut when the light is off there is no parasitic drain.

The disdavantage of clickies are the following:
* bigger and bulkier.
* allows for less intuitive UI
* loud click when actuated.
* less reliable and wears out faster due to extra internal moving parts.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say momentary switch, you are talking about a flashlight that activates only when the switch is pressed, going off when released? Or are you referring to a forward clicky switch that is capable of activation with a half-press, going off when released yet capable of staying on continuously with a full click? ...
Neither.

A momentary pushbutton is a switch that only activates while the button is depressed. Moment you release the button it no longer conducts current.

However, in the context of a flashlight, a "momentary pushbutton" is merely one component of an e-switch. For the D4, the other component is the driver programming which tells the light what to do when it detects the momentary pushbutton having been depressed or released. The D4 and most e-switch lights including Zebralights and HDS, use a momentary pushbutton combined with a driver programmed to take certain actions when it receives input from that momentary pushbutton.

Note that in an e-switch, main current to the driver does not flow directly through the e-switch. As such, the driver remains powered on even when the switch button is not depressed.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
KITROBASKIN, I meant electrical momentary switch, an e- switch, like a mouse button.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Sure would like to see other flashlights with the Emisar UI. I was hoping a Zebralight SC62d could be modified. I asked Randy if he might be willing to try it, knowing that it could end up being a total fail. He gave me the information that I gave on this thread.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Sure would like to see other flashlights with the Emisar UI. I was hoping a Zebralight SC62d could be modified. I asked Randy if he might be willing to try it, knowing that it could end up being a total fail. He gave me the information that I gave on this thread.
From what I've seen Zebras don't take to modding very well. The body is machined to exactly fit the stock driver components so I suspect you'd need to do some serious modification to fit an attiny driver with Narsil/Emisar.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireclaw, thanks for correcting momentary on vs momentary off. Good reminder :)