To Peter Gransee: Simpler locking for 4+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,

Could you possibly implement an alternative means of locking the 4+? The current requirement of entering the OPTIONS menu each time the light is to be locked, makes it too impractical.

One unused button sequence that might be used is a triple-click with a HOLD on the third click for 2 seconds, from whichever operating mode the light happens to be in. Some sort of visual feedback can also be added.

Can this be implemented in the firmware?

Thanks.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
A triple click from off has been suggested and I forwarded it to our engineer. But he says that the current menu command structure would have to be overhauled to add this and he doesn't think there is enough memory left. In my opinion, the current lock out function is one of the less usefull "extra" features in our light. We are also working on an optional tail guard.

Peter

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to think the tail guard is gonna be more useful due to the inaccessability of the electronic lockout. I have had my light turn on accidentally about two to three times a week now in my pocket. Luckily, the light was set on the lowest setting.

CM

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could change one thing on the 4+, it would be to have it lock out with three clicks (triple-click) from off. With this light's propensity to turn on unintentionally, an easily acessible lock out is a neccessity, not an extra, IMHO.

I would give up many of the other "features" (SOS, Tactical modes, etc.) to get a more user friendly lockout feature. Hopefully this will become a reality at a later date.

Peter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree also that the electronic lockout is too cumbersome. I just unscrew by 1/4 turn to lock it out. I don't really like doing it this way but it does work, it's just the boot up time that's required and the un-necessary wear and tear involved. Anyway, I'm also looking forward to the physical switch-guard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MY

Enlightened
Another plug for the CY tailswitch mod which makes the switch recessed and avoids accidental latching.

I think that Peter should examine and refine the CY mod which would be easier and cheaper than the new tail guard shroud.

Peter, what do you think?

georget98

Enlightened
Don't forget semi-momentary tactical mode -- pressing the switch is always momentary. Double-click and it turns on. Click off, and the mode is still in effect.

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you just use Semi-Tach?
or as the others have said the 1.1 switch mod.

MY: I'm guessing Peter used this switch design
so that it would have the spring, instead of
the rubber pushing in, So it could last longer.
In case you didn't notice these things are alittle
over-built! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashboy

Newly Enlightened
I like the semi tac mode, as I have not had my light turn on accidentally since initiating this feature.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd also like to suggest that the 10 click menu entry saccade be reduced to 4 or 5 clicks. There's no chance of 4 or 5 clicks happening by accident. 10 is just unnecessary.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Semi tac ,force primary 7,secondary 3, and no problems with my 4+ accidently switching on. The upcoming optional tailcap is for me,something just to attach a lanyard to and to make the light useable in "candle-mode".
Make sure your tailcap is on tight, and your pants(if you carry in your pockets)loose and comfortable(bag the lycra,it doesn't become you),you may get rid of Accidental Activation Syndrome that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I think the electronic 3 click lockout ( or something equally easy and useful) is important. If it takes too much memory - then get rid of some other features like the lock the way it is, the SOS and the pure tac mode (that requires a reset to get rid of).

J

jpeg

Enlightened
Originally I'd left my ARC4 in it's factory setting, but I switched it to semi-tac after a few days. I like the security of knowing it wont lock on when I'm not looking. (Although the way I carry it, this doesn't seem to be a problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.