I only wish TN42 had a more classic design!

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I am a ThruNite fan, and well happy with all the ThruNite flashlights I got, including the old big ones, especially among them the TN32.

ThruNite is one of the most classical flashlight brands (design wise), basically they have always kept it neat and simple. The only two exceptions are TN40 and TN42. I think TN40 looks beautiful, but TN42 I think could have been better in a balanced classic design.

I didn't like the design of TN42 since I first saw its release pictures, youtube videos, reviews .... My disliked points are:

1. The head is not matched with the body, the whole thing looks unbalanced.
2. The surrounding edge that holds the shoulder strap attachment holes looks hideous on it (opposite to how it looks on TN40). The TN42 is better of without it. And there is no need for shoulder strap in this light, so instead of ruining its design with that edge, a lot more practical solution would be a holster with stitched shoulder strap attachments on it.
3. The cooling fins (despite looking good aesthetically) are in reality not very efficient the way they are, they would've been better if they were a little thinner to achieve better heat transfer, and also to make room for fitting more, at least 4 in there, not just three (The same thing in TN40).
4. Finally, the neck diameter is a tad wider than the body tube! (Why? What is this the gain of that slight difference?!)

I did some sloppy editing on TN42 pictures I chose from ThruNite-website, and from the TN42 review by the reviewer: Narmattaru, to demonstrate my points.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Now (and most importantly) I get to the performance:

It was not good news to know that it puts out only 2000 lm compared to its closest (and older) competitor Acebeam K70 at around 2600 lm, and later to the newer competitor Manker MK35 at around 2550 lm, I'm not saying they are better, as they have their cons as well, like quicker step downs to avoid over heating, like that K70 comes only in CW (for now at least), like that Manker is still a fresh brand..... Though, I do have flashlights from both brands, Acebeam of course is very good, and so is Manker.

There's also a thing in the TN42 UI, the high mode is only around 800 lm, the jump between it and turbo is huge, I would liked to see an additional 1200 lm mode between them.

Only one thing is certain, the fact that the TN42 covers more distance thanks to its wider and deeper reflector, but not by much, only about 200 meters at best measure, and considering the size of that reflector, it should have covered more distance if it was coupled with a higher driven LED, that would've achieved gaining its maximum performance.

The TN42 with XHP35 HI puts out nearly 2000 lm, only 300 lm above its older predecessor TN32 which puts out around 1700 lm with its XM-L2 LED. The thermal management approach is clearly different between the two, as it's shown in these pictures from Johnny Mac's reviews: TN42 has Aluminium housing pill, while the old TN32 has a copper/brass one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

But in the end now, my current throw & output king TN32 has much smaller reflecor, and its max throw only around 1000 meters, I have several High-Intensity LED flashlights now that slightly exceeds it at over 1000 meters of max throw but with less output, and since I'm now having a renewed appetite for a new throw king in my collection, the 1700 meters of TN42 is very tempting to me right now, it seems like a serious step-up to consider. I only wish it had a more classic design.

Thanks for reading
Midnight.Sun

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
28 years as a flashaholic, and the TN40s is [hands down] my favorite light to date. Ours get used daily around our farm and property.

It's the perfect storm of size, output, beam pattern, beam quality, build quality, reliability and UI.

We also own a couple TN42's. But due to the specialized beam pattern, they don't see as much use.

Have you actually handled and used the TN42? If not, you need to.

Because when you do, these small concerns you have will quickly be forgotten. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had my hands on the great TN40 yet (will do soon), I know it's so unique for combining both a powerful flood and very long throw (0.25 lux @ over 1200 meters of real max throw distance) all in a very (relatively) compact size & weight, TN40 is the king of all-around flashlights when it comes to a high (lumen & Throw) single flashlight use, and at the most reasonable size & weight.

Currently I enjoy walking with a single 18650 flooder and another single 18650 High-Intensity thrower ready in my pocket (or belt in some of my bigger > 40mm head size lights). And I do the same approach with a soda can flooder and a 2x 18650 High-Intensity thrower in my bag or even on my belt sometimes, when I get the chance to hike in a less populated wide open mountain areas.

Yes TN40 is more useable light, and a perfect design for its purpose, just would have been more perfect with a 4 cooling fins (a tad a bit thiner ones). Between TN40 and TN42 I say that TN40 is a better light.

Both TN42 and TN40 are on my list this summer, I know I'm late to their game, but I had more priority flashlights to buy last year.

Last edited:

klrman

Newly Enlightened
28 years as a flashaholic, and the TN40s is [hands down] my favorite light to date. Ours get used daily around our farm and property.

It's the perfect storm of size, output, beam pattern, beam quality, build quality, reliability and UI.

We also own a couple TN42's. But due to the specialized beam pattern, they don't see as much use.

Have you actually handled and used the TN42? If not, you need to.

Because when you do, these small concerns you have will quickly be forgotten. :thumbsup:

I ordered a TN40s yesterday in CW, but thinking about NW now. Is yours NW? Just wondering how the tint looks in NW as some are great and some are very yellowish.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of our TN40's are NW. The tints are indeed very neutral with no discernible yellow, green or blue.

We did try one in CW but ended up returning it. It was too cool for my taste and had a bluish tint.

Before switching over to the TN40s, the K60 was our previous favorite light. The K60's had a really nice white tint. But when compared side by side with the TN40s NW, the K60 was more a cool white compared to the TN40s NW's more creamy white.

Please let us know your thoughts when you receive your light.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks seery, I'm sold. I changed my order to NW as it is just what I was hoping for. Yes, will post back when I get it. This one I am looking real forward too.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite canceled my order for the TN40S and said they were out of stock, so I ordered from Amazon.ca a TN42 NW instead as it is cheaper than anywhere else. I think I'll like the TN42 as I read it's a pretty good thrower.

hehaw77

Newly Enlightened
yeah... the design it basic not like Acebeam designs which have all kinds of heatsinking

harro

Enlightened
Isnt it good that we all see different points in any given light. I have the three ( MK35NW, K70 and TN42 4 x 18650 albeit a latecomer for me too ) and personally, i reckon the MK35 was hit hardest with the ugly stick. I like the ' smooth ' styling of the TN42 and K70 against the Manker. Haha, the step up for the neck is something that would have never worried me, as too the heatsinking/fins. More that there is sufficient aluminium to dissapate the heat. I see what you are saying, and maybe a more graceful graduated bevel would have been in order, but, it is what it is, i guess. I actually chose the TN42 cause i didnt have any 100mm throwers. It might surprise you how similar the three are, side by side, for output, with the MK35NW not disgraced in any way beside the other two.
Cheers,
Mike.

As a footnote, i have an old TN31 and i understand where you are coming from with the classic look. Its the original 1047 lumen version XML2 ( i think ). Maybe your incarnation of the 30 series was as far as Thrunite felt they could go with the three cell thrower format.

L to R Acebeam K70, Manker MK35, Thrunite TN42
FmoCT61.jpg

Same again but heads 87.5 MM for the K70 and MK35 and 100.1 MM for the TN42
KSbuGuz.jpg

Same idea but different
ZVJduFN.jpg

The poor old Manker, to me at least, was given a big whack with the ugly stick. Doesn't affect how it works though. This one is NW and still gives a good account of itself beside the other two, both CW. Note the piddly lanyard that Manker supply with their light. Not at all like the strap and clips supplied with the TN42, not shown in pics.

Last edited: