Question about the P2X Fury driver

deezspergers

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if the P2X and P3X share the same one? Cause I've been contemplating 2x li-ion 123a but I would hate to burn out the driver with 8.4v if it's not shared with the P3X

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
P3X has 1000 Lumens output, P2X has 600 Lumens. Is the Working Voltage Range stated on the box or the manual of your P2X ? I guess it's not.

Ideally, from the fact that P2X has 2/3 the output of P3X, they can be having a same driver If there was no physical limitation, as in battery tube size barrier, without that they could've had the same driver that'd be (in that case) a NOT current regulated one, with say a wide Working-Voltage between 3V - 9V. But the battery tube size barrier dictates the situation. Why? Because the P3X's working Voltage can be only as low as roughly ~ 5V, because it only takes 3x CR123 and when they are nearly depleted, they can be about an absolute maximum low Voltage of ~ 5V (if that's even possible), so it's driver is fixed to work at say a minimum ~ 5V. Now that'd be too high for the lowest Voltage of the P2X, which is known to work OK on about 3.8V - 4.2V from a single 17670 Li-Ion battery, or a near depleted 2x CR123 at roughly ~ 3.4V, and that's an impossible low Voltage for the P3X, which means they have different drivers.

The question remains why they didn't simply make a driver for P2X that yields more current from 2x CR123 !? Well, it's an old model with dated technology, they should have updated it long time ago. Anyhow, the Fury models were discontinued in 2017 I think.

I'm not 100% sure about my rough assessment, and I hope someone corrects me if I had my facts wrong, or missed some other possibilities, as my electric knowledge is limited.

Anyway, you can always get a definite answer from SureFire Technical Support, that's their info: (from their website)

[email protected]
Hours of Operation: 8AM - 5PM PST, Monday - Friday
Please provide your full name, shipping address and phone number when emailing us.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know if the P2X and P3X share the same one? Cause I've been contemplating 2x li-ion 123a but I would hate to burn out the driver with 8.4v if it's not shared with the P3X

You really don't want to run two RCR123s in series, since they have very poor capacity and are of dubious quality. RCR123s are nominal 3.2v, coming hot off the charger at ~3.6v, so 7.2v in series.

Two 16340s, which are a nominal 3.6v-3.7v, come hot off the charger at 4.2v, so there's your 8.4v.

We have nice IMR 16340s that are higher drain, so that bodes well, but there's that 8.4v threshold that one has to contemplate.

SureFire marketed the K2 Energy 3.2v RCR123 and I guess you'd be safe with those, as they are close to two CR123As in series, but again, your runtimes are going to be poop and you need matched cells.

If you want to try a li-ion, look to the 16650s and the Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.35v naked cells, however, you'd need a charger capable of charging up 4.35 (3.8v nominal) cells. You can still charge them up with a standard li-ion charger, but you're shorting yourself some capacity and voltage.

Liitokala Lii 100, USB charger, which can charge up any li-ion we care to use. They're about $5 at GearBest.

Chris

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driver of P2X and P3X are not same.
I have done tail current test of P2X
here which shows different than P3X
BTW, P2X can run with pair of li-ion 123A (16340) without any problem but run time will be too short.
P2X runs longer with single 18650. If doesn't fit then 16650
P3X definitely needs 7~8.4 volt to operate correctly.