To (US)B Not To (US)B

junior1954

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Mag Light nicad rechargeable that has been in it's charging cradle next to my tool box 24/7 for 20+ years. Save for having to replace the battery pack once it's served me faithfully. I liked the recharge ability but lusted for more lumens, I bought a Surefire R1 Lawman, 1000 max lumens. After picking up my Lawman and finding it dead one too many times I got a jones to buy a rechargeable flashlight that I could leave plugged in 24/7. The Lawman's charger turns off after 10 hour and there's a stupid LED that stays on constantly unless you unscrew the tail cap so if I don't babysit it (charge it every few weeks) it dies, I ordered two Streamlight ProTacs, one HL (850 max lumens) and one HPL (1000 lumens). They're USB rechargeable, guaranteed for life and best of all have overcharge protection so I can plug 'em in and forget about them-untill I need them.

I have a Fenix that's a couple of years old that puts out 2900 lumens but as I investigated lights that siren song started again "more lumens, more lumens". I have to admit that the modern high-output lights scare me from a reliability standpoint-overheat protection, lots of bells and whistles. I wasn't going to do it! Then I checked out the Fenix TK72R, a 9000 lumen behemoth that's also USB rechargeable AND acts as a power station to charge your phone in a pinch (hear that, honey? It 's a SURVIVAL tool-meant for our safety! That's my story and I'm sticking to it). On sale for $329., still a big nut. But Fenix offered me a 20% discount, which knocked off $66. And they guarantee their products for life. Damn you, Fenix! It's being delivered Thursday.

colight

Enlightened
I love the way you told the story, and welcome to the world of Fenix! I've been lusting after that TK72R myself, but I just can't seem to get myself to fork out that much money at this time.

junior1954

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome! Got the Fenix today. What a nice light-a flood beam, what I was after. Very intuitive controls. Smaller than I was expecting and fits well in my average sized hands. We coincidentally had a couple of coyotes within about 50' of the house last night, howling away. My wife was out of bed like a shot. I told her I was getting a flashlight that would scare coyotes-DONE DEAL. She let me teach her how to use it. It now sits on the desk next to the door ready for action. Damn coyotes:twothumbs.