OT: Saw The Passion (thread caution!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
..Not that I should presume that everyone would be interested in what I do in my spare time. And me posting personal stuff may make some people feel uncomfortable since our relationship here on the CPF is usually all business. Add to that the fact that you either like or dis-like the film (even if you never saw it) so some may be offended that I even have an opinion and may think I am somehow tieing them up and forcing them to see this or that movie.

So at any rate, Merri and I saw Mel Gibson's, The Passion of the Christ. Since we are "some of those crazy people", we felt fortunate to see the film. It is incredibly moving and recommended for any other, "crazy people" out there.

Thanks for allowing me a personal moment.

And just how I presumed on you for me to make a personal post, it is ok by me as well if you respond to this thread with an equally personal reponse. Some people may tell me why it is wrong for me to like this film or to believe the way I do or may claim I am somehow forcing people to do this or that, etc. That is fine, we are people. I do ask that we try to retain some respect for each other.

People may say, "why did you post something so controversial". I say, why not? Oh, maybe they are worried about the character of the average CPF'er and how they might respond to this. Ah, no biggie. If I can withstand your strong opinions/critisism about flashlights, this should be a piece of cake!

As to why I posted it here and not the Cafe, it just seems more intimate here for me than in the Cafe. I know more of you here than in the rest of the CPF.

And of course, some people will choose to not buy our products because I have personal beliefs and I am prone to "force" them on people. But hey, life is short.

Thank you again for this liberty. If you choose to see the movie, I hope you get a lot out of it. If not, we are still friends of course.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Hey, far be it from me to tell anyone what movies they should like or dislike.

I've heard that movie was very violent, which is maybe logical since it after all is about a famous execution. You're a grown-up and if years on CPF haven't destroyed your mind already, I don't think seeing a violent film is going to destroy it either.

The one thing that would get me upset is if you took your kids to see it, as some fundies are apparently doing. That seems inappropriate to me because of amount of gore involved. I could imagine it being traumatic to the kids. But it sounds like you didn't bring them, so no prob.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing Peter.

Hey, we like any chance to get to know you better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am not a religious person myself, but I may watch this movie sometime.
All the "hype" has me curious.

I find it odd that ppl have complained about it being violent, they must not know all that much about religion then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

RH

Enlightened
Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this film. Our minister today gave us a mini review of the film and stated that he was very impressed with it. He called it an "experience" rather than a movie.

Again, I greatly respect you putting your beliefs ahead of your business. However, this should be no suprise to anyone who has had the pleasure of dealing with you or your company.

Thanks,
Robert

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I could never understand the contraversy aspect of this or any other movie. If the concept offends, don't watch it. It's quite as simple as that. I have not yet seen it. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD or one of the pay-channels. I haven't been to the movie theater in years, mostly due to the scumbags that find the need to talk all the time. When I view a movie, I was to hear it too, not just watch it.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point about the kids (didn't think of that one). We don't have any and the puppies wouldn't get it so no problemo in that area. Our pastor strongly recommended children under a certain age not see it. So when I saw it it was one of the few times I think an R-rated film had no crying/talking kids in the audience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, some scenes were violent but it was far from the most violent movie I had seen. I think how violent you think it is will depend on how pointless you feel the Sacrifice was.

Peter

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Peter,
Last I checked, this was a free country. If people don't agree with your opinion of something, they don't have to accept it. (And based on the high volume of discussion on the clip/no-clip, bezel-up/bezel-down, and brightness/runtime topics here, I don't think you have to worry about this audience staying quiet out of any kind of fear.)

I personally will not be seeing this in the theater, because I have talked to people who have seen it, and have decided that my admittedly weak stomach could make me seeing the movie in a theater a VERY unpleasant experience for whoever was sitting in front of me. I will buy a copy when it's released on DVD, and watch it in a more controlled, private environment. Nonetheless, I will watch it. Obviously, this is a personal decision, and others may disagree with it.

If people are offended by you saying that you watched a movie, and encouraged other people to see it, too... let them be offended. The Gospel is an offense by its very nature; talking about it is bound to be, too.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll watch it when i can. i usually try to appreciate movies for what they were meant to be, as opposed to how i want them to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to see it when it finally comes to my town if it isn't already at Blockbuster by then I am not a fan of the frightning genre or sad films. My 1st choice in movies are Sci-Fi star trek or star wars. I am a religious person but not a church goer. I am looking forward to seeing another view of a story I know well from having read the bible completly twice and am on the third reading. (I find something new each time)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Peter, I watched it my 13 year old son watched it. I asked him what he thought after we got in the car. "GEE dad
it was just a movie. When it happened in real life He took a whole lot more than that maybe 50 times more. I guess they had to take it down bunch so some people would not cry to loud I guess they don't know it was for them and they should be happy they killed Jesus if they did'nt He could not have come back. I think some of em need to read the book first then they would be happy." How do you answer that?
He is Risen
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I would like to see it and will in time. I heard the entire movie is "subtitled"? That would bother me a little, as I'd rather "watch" the movie and not "read" it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Peter!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Sigman, I was not distracted by that in the least. If you have heard that Jesus died for You on a cross you got it. they could have made it silent and it would still be good to go.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I intend to see it as well, not that I'm all That religious, but we send our daughter to a very good christian-value-based school and now that she is learning all about this through her Bible Studies curriculum it would make sense that we (meaning me and the wife, not our 7-year old) take in the story through a mdeia form most accessible and enjoyable to us nowadays (gave up reading a long time ago!). Been forced to attend a lot of Barney- and Rugrats-Go-To-Paris-type movies lately anyway. Time to see something for our own enjoyment...

Thanks for posting this Peter, gives me an idea of what kind of guy you are. And I haven't had a chance to say it yet, but it was indeed a Pleasure to finally meet you and Merri at SHOT. Had a great time at the CPF get together so graciously hosted by you, too. Thanks again for everything.

(and hey next time tell the mfr. reps not to eat everything in sight before us real CPF'ers even get there!!!)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened
The Phoenix press covered this pretty extensively around the opening. One showing was all Christian leaders who said that the movie followed the gospel in every scene but two. I was told those two were to get us from point a to point b, no harm no foul.

Nationally people were opposed to it because it would cause anti semitism. Possibly a valid concern but I think if you know the Bible you know the suspects. Friends and I have compared this to making a film about the Holocaust but don't include the Germans.

T

Tom_Mayo

This is my first post on this forum........

Some of the people here know me.....I have a degree from UCSB in Far Eastern Philosophy and a number of years after that I became a Christian.
Only one man in the history of the world has gotten up from the grave and stayed up!!!!
You might not believe that, but it is an historical fact, seen by multitudes and recounted into writing by quite a few of them, many of whom were not his followers.
The movie was heavy, to say the least, not something for squeemish people or small kids.....brutal is the word that comes to mind most.....because thats what happened....He died a brutal death at the hands of men who hated him for who he was and what he said......The leaders of the Jewish nation at that time were greedy evil men, much like many of the people who run our country are today, but that does not make Americans evil, just those leaders who get into government so they can get bankrolled by big corporations, etc.....so it was back then.....the Jewish people did not murder Jesus......the greed and lust and complaceny of man did.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just saw it on Friday night. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was shocking. The blood was part of Christ's life, so it was included in the movie. It made people cry and everyone was quiet after so there was no problem with hearing and there wasn't too much subs, so I got the whole picture. I also think that the movie was not intented to spread anit-semitism, but to give an idea for what Christ went through for all of us.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
A powerful and deeply moving experience. I am not ashamed to admit that tears came to my eyes on more than one occassion. I do want to reinforce the idea that it is not really a movie for young children. I think the mark of a really great movie was that I forgot all about the sub titles, which ordinarily would have bothered me.

The only point that bothered me a little was the portrayal of Pilate. He was anything but a compassionate or "reasonable" ruler. His agenda was to not have another riot on his hands. Pilate had already been put on notice by Rome to keep peace in Jerusalem. He gave in to the Pharisees because it was the easy way out, and in the long-term would rid him of a source of trouble, which he couldn't afford.

*Retired*
It funny how alot of folks think it is all made up.

Even Casear mentioned it in some of his writings. I forget all the other historical documents that mention the event.

I dunno, but Jews support the Holocaust movies, then put down things they themselves have done.

I wish I still knew the odds for assembling the entire Human DNA by chance, I remember some mathmatician stating it was actually near impossible, and it greatly out numbered even the number of atoms in the universe. Then he stacked upon that, the odds that all of that would happen in just the right order. Funny how we have never seen any organism evolve during our time period. Natural selection and the survival of the fittest is one thing, but evolution is another.

Reminds me of the fella that made the picture of the clock, that he tore apart and put under a glass dome. It is incredibly much more simpler than a human, yet it hasn't assembled itself by chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.