Lets see your handy crafts?

Wylie

Enlightened
Here's the latest that is still in the works.
f97b0288.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Show me yours I\'ll show you mine.

Neither do I.
I even tried putting the URL directly in the "Address" window of my browser, and it gives the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid105/pccdce3521f88ffa308302c9d68e122de/f97b0288.jpg on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.imagestation.com Port 80

In any case, I collect used up old insulators.
Part of my collection is in the window:

view.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic

WOW Wylie!

Is that a walking stick, or a pool cue?

That looks REALLY cool !!!

Negeltu

Enlightened

What are you guys talking about?? I don't even see a link in wylie's post????

Wylie

Enlightened

Cool you have some good purple ones Craig but I was talking about handy type crafts other then fklashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
At first I couldn't see the picture either guys. I guess it just took a while to take.
Thanks jtice, that is a fishing rod and the decorative wrap is what I have done with the thread. What you see there took a total of nines hours counting smoke breaks. Yes I have seen the same thing on pool cues and walking sticks and I can do those too.
The next fishing rod I am building after this one will really be something to see. I have eight hours into the handle parts and they still have another eight to go before they will even go on the rod blank itself.
If you like this kind of art there is more at http://www.fishingphotos.net/ . I can't say I am the best I have ever seen but I am pretty good with the thread and I build dependable fishing rods besides.

Okay now I showed and told so lets see some of your handy works folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After I posted this I have to right click on the picture and click on show picture to load the picture on my computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
Cool you have some good purple ones Craig but I was talking about handy type crafts other then fklashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
I guess I don't *make* much of anything - I just collect {vulgar term for feces}. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

No worries Craig you have a great collection and good reason to want to show it off.
I can't promise anything but the area I will be moving to soon (May) may just have some contributions for your collection I could help you with.
I'm sure it took some time and effort to pull that kind of collection together. I don't think I have seen that many purple insulators in one collection before.
SWEET! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
No worries Craig you have a great collection and good reason to want to show it off.
I can't promise anything but the area I will be moving to soon (May) may just have some contributions for your collection I could help you with.
I'm sure it took some time and effort to pull that kind of collection together.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the pardon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My mistake for misinterpreting the purpose of this thread.

If you find some insulators this May, take some pictures and email them to me. Maybe you'll find something I don't have in my collection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been collecting insulators since at least the mid-1970s; so yes, it did take some time and effort to accumulate all these (over 325 of them, if I have my numbers straight).

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
I don't think I have seen that many purple insulators in one collection before.
SWEET! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
According to my insulator website, I have 10 purple insulators. Out of a collection of at least 325. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I saw my first purple one in a California railroad museum in the early- or mid-1970s (that's what probably spurred me to collect them); I didn't actually GET my first purple one until 2000 I think.

Well, gotta run...I just got important email about my WORKLED.

Wylie

Enlightened

Cool orgomy,
In the secong picture the swan on the right is tiny!
That third picture got me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What happened to much coffee and a long night at the office?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a bass I made from scratch [except for the neck. It was purchased from Warmoth.com along with the hardware]. The body is Birdseye Maple and Bolivian Rosewood. The pickup is Bartolini.

fbe1b282.jpg

AlphaTea

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
yclo said:
Well, here's a few that I did quite a while ago:
2nd photo link
-YC

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy cow! I had seen this pic when you posted it a while back, but I just noticed that the ruler was metric.
Those are Centimeters not Inches!!!

guncollector

Enlightened

Gunsmithing is part and parcel of my firearms hobby. So, a year or two back I, like many firearms enthusiasts who like the Model 1911 Govt .45 pistol, decided to customize, and "hop up" a "stock" pistol. The difference is I performed the majority of the customization myself; excluding only installation of the front/rear sights (don't have the proper milling machine to do the job right myself) and re-bluing (too messy and toxic). The latter two outsourced tasks were done by King's Gun Works in Glendale, California. My tasks included, among other things:

- install/fit new match barrel, bushing, barrel lug and swing link (Storm Lake)
- polish barrel hood and feed ramp
- tuned extractor
- scallop the ejection port
- checker frontstrap (buggered this job a bit, but hey it was my first try ever)
- replaced all pins and springs with Ed Brown & Wolff parts
- complete trigger job: install new skeletonized trigger, match sear, commander hammer, extended safety
- bevel magazine well
- install/fit beavertail grip safety
- added new rosewood grips (for aesthetics)

All in all, about 30-40 hours or work or so (try finding 30-40 hrs of free time with a 3 yr. old! )...but a true labor of love.

Below are pics of the two pistols, both Argentine Modelo Sistema 1927's (the serial numbers were only 3 numbers apart!). A little history lesson is in order. In the '30's the Argentine government approached Colt's Manufacturing in Hartford, Connecticut to license production of John Browning's 1911 pistol (technically the model 1911A1). Well, what ensued were near exact copies of 1911A1 pistols, manufactured under license--and on Colt machinery--in Argentina by their domestic ordnance factory, DGFM. 1911 collectors and historians will tell you that the Argentine licensed-pistol were made as well--if not a shade better--than even the Hartford-made pistols. All are in agreement that the Argentines used a bit more steel (because they weigh a ounce or so more), and arguably better steel!

First, the military version (notice the original Argentine military issue flap-holster and double-magazine pouches in green leather):
1927bef.jpg

And, here's the customized version (in picture: Sinn EZM-2 (watch), MOD CQD Damascus, Galco Combat Master holster):
1927aft.jpg

whiskypapa3

Enlightened

Before my eyes gave out I cut and polished and faceted gems.

f970920c.jpg

*** Sony ain't working***

Also ground and polished my own mirrors and objective lenses for telescopes.

Have some artwork in corporate and private collections.

And a dozen other things...

Wylie

Enlightened

Orion that bass is sweet! Being a fisherman I was thinking the bass fish so the picture was a surprise when it came up. I like the Geko!

Guncollector,
That heater's hot, nice work! I like the way you dressed it up and I have heard of some people doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Very cool!
I was just told about the tricks the gun crafters play with the pins from my buddy in Idaho. That gunsmith work is really an art.

whiskypapa3
My family did delapidary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ?spelling ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I did just a little in school but only semi precious metals really and some enamels too. Definitaly an art.

Thanks guys it's nice to see craftsmanship in this sold out world of mass production.
Here's a link to some more fishing rods I have built if I haven't been bumped yet. http://www.fishingphotos.net/

Keeping it real bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie