Wuben        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CPF UK - AND NOW THE 2018 PARTY STARTS!

Default Re: CPF UK - AND NOW THE 2018 PARTY STARTS!

Winter meet anyone

Flashaholic*

I guess a pre Christmas meet didn't work out. We'll sort something out in the new year. In the meantime I went shopping in the Olight sale and picked up....

IE3 AAA light 90 lumen
    I3T EOS AAA light 190 lumen, tan colour
    Baton Pro 2,000 lumen, tan colour
    Another IE3
    Another I3T EOS
    S2A Baton 2xAA 550lumen
    Bike mount

All for £101. Not bad I thought. I guess I know what I'm giving to people for gifts this year.
    Last edited by Jay R; 12-14-2019 at 05:42 PM.

That's a lot of light for the money.

Bluddy L Jay

Had to have a look and now I have a Warrior X and some AA types (+odd freebies)

Thanks Jay

Happy Christmas chaps. Hope somebody out there gets some torches.

See you all in the New Year.

Flashaholic*

All gone a bit quiet hasn't it.

Busy hunting...……………………………………………...bog rolls.

Flashaholic*

I have loads. Secret supply.

Hope everyone is well?

All good here.

Three generations of Nyctos in the same house. Got enough bog roll for a bit. Can't remember the last time I saw any in shops! (along with pasta, rice, flour, bread, hand sanitizer, paracetamol etc etc).

Very quiet around here. We're all hiding from the Bogeyman!

Stay safe one and all.

Flashaholic*

Hope everyone is well.

Flashaholic*

IMG_20200506_222259

Turns out I had that exact letter in Lego! If you don't get it, Google "Elon Musk baby".

Flashaholic*

Double post.

^^^^ Poor kid.

How's everyone doing? Guess we won't have a get together any time soon!

Flashaholic*

Bored
    Beyond
    Belief

On the plus side, I started making rings as something to do...

Mostly wood, some metal or resin, opal and metal inlays, etc...

Very nice work.
    I take it you have a lathe.

Hope everyone is well.

I recently started going through all my torches to check their condition, remove all the batteries and charge those that required it (I haven't done this for far too long).
    A few of the cheaper lights had suffered from some battery leakage. There was even some CR123 and Energizer Lithium AAA cell failures, which I didn't know was something that happened. Fortunately nothing expensive or irreplaceable has suffered, but I will now store all my non-active use lights completely empty, even the Li-ion ones, even if I haven't suffered a leak from them so far.

My Pila charger is still going strong, but my Cottonpickers variable current USB charger seems to have packed up in the years since it's last use. No charging light and no charging output, although it will read the battery voltage.

Can anyone recommend a Li-ion charger suitable for 10180 to 10440 sized cells?

Cheers.
    Pictures of most of my work can be found on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Tofty/418361674867785

Flashaholic*

Tofty, perhaps the lights had a parasitic drain that flattened the lithium cells? Mind you, I've know a couple lithium cells to go in my time.

I bought a micro lathe (Proxxon) but the speed control broke after a few weeks and it went back. I'm making do with ring mandrells in a drill clamped to the bench. This works fine but means I can only do the outside of the rings. I have a small chuck but it mounts to a M16 1.0p thread and I can't fit M16 threaded rod into my 13mm drill chuck and I can't find a M16 thread adaptor.

Was thinking of buying a M16 1.0p bolt and finding a local engineering place that might turn the end down to 13mm for me for a few quid.
    Last edited by Jay R; 05-13-2020 at 03:32 PM.

It could be that, at least partially, but one of my CR123s went pop while not in a torch, so I no longer trust them.

I can turn down an M16 bolt for you if you'd like. The myford should be up to the task.
    Pictures of most of my work can be found on my facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Tofty/418361674867785

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the offer Tofty but it appears that M16 1.0p is a very unusual size. I could find M16 1.5p but not 1.0p. Strange because I found 16mm nuts with a 1mm thread but no bolts! I wonder what they put them on ? I looked at buying a 16mm bar, 1mm tap and threading it myself but that would work out more expensive than just buying a micro lathe chuck that mounts to a 12mm thread.

Flashaholic*

Toffty, I have a charger that came with my Lummi Wee. USB plug, heatsink covered board and wires out with croc clips holding small magnets. You can have if you like. Bung me your address.

I could always just cut 1mm pitch threads into some bar stock for you. It should result in a better fit for the chuck.

Thanks for the offer of the charger but I don't think I will need it now. I had a go at repairing my Cottonpickers charger and amazingly was able to fix it with some re-soldering (dry joint on one of the components).
    I also bought an Adafruit 100mA USB charger to try out.

Flashaholic*

Tofty, I'd really appreciate it if you could. The chuck I have is quite good quality and would be a shame not to use it. I need around 15mm length of M16 with 1mm thread pitch dropping to a shaft I can fit in my drill so anywhere around 12-13mm diameter. If you could fix me up, I'll have your preferred liquid refreshment delivered from Amazon to you. (Or I could just pay you...)

The only issue is that I kind of need the chuck itself to match the threads to. With such a fine thread the margin of error is too small to reliably get a fit that's not too loose or won't thread on at all, without test fitting the corresponding mating thread.
    Also I'd probably start with some 20mm diameter rod (as that' what I have to hand), which would allow me to put in a shoulder for the back of the chuck to screw onto and I'd like to make sure that it would be suitable for your chuck.

If your happy with that and are passing my way (Farnham area); then you can drop the chuck off and I can get to work.
    Or I can pick it up from you. I need an excuse to get the car out.

Let me know what you think in a DM.
    Cheers

So I had a go at making a Chuck Adapter Spindle for Jay R and thought I'd take some photos to document the process and explain some of the operations if anyone's interested.

I started with some 22mm mild steel hex bar.
    Also shown is the mini chuck I will be adapting to fit into a power drill, which uses a standard 13mm chuck.

The band saw was used to cut the bar roughly to length.

The bar was turned to length on the lathe and the two ends were flattened.

One end of the bar was reduced down to a diameter of just under 13mm, to act as a shaft for the drill chuck.
    The end of the shaft was chamfered and the shaft was then smoothed, using various grits.

The other end of the bar was reduced down to 16mm, with a chamfer added to the bar end and a land added just before the shoulder.
    The land section makes thread cutting easier and safer.
    Chamfers were also added to both ends of the hex section.
    Thin brass sheet was used to prevent damage occurring to the part's shaft when being gripped by the lathe chuck.

The specific gearing gets setup in the lathe's gearbox for cutting a 1mm pitched thread.
    These gears link the chuck with the lead screw, which will drive the cutting tool along the work at a stead rate of 1mm per chuck revolution.

Thread cutting begins, using plenty of cutting fluid and repeated shallow cuts.

Cutting of the threads is complete and the part is now finished.
    When coming close to the expected required depth of the threads; the cutting tool was moved away and the small chuck was test fitted.
    This was repeated after every subsequent cutting pass until the chuck screwed onto the spindle smoothly.

The whole process probably took around three hours.

(I apologise if the photos aren't showing up. Seems to be a Photobucket issue, which is pretty infuriating since I pay for the damn service)

Flashaholic*

And a top notch job he did of it as well. Thanks Toffty, you are master craftsman in my book.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    IMG_20200506_222259

Turns out I had that exact letter in Lego! If you don't get it, Google "Elon Musk baby".

If nothing else you win the award for the most obscure lego bricks!

Lockdown has me ordering new LEDs for the BLF Q8 (4000k Luxeon V's) and I've picked up the ex-Royal Navy floodlight project again, just need to work out which new reflector and LED combo to use, followed by figuring out how to heatsink the damn thing!

Photo from ebay listing when I bought it in ?2017? as I didn't take a good photo while it was still assembled!:

[IMG][/IMG]

Stainless ball-joint had gunk and pitting, I removed it from the battery compartment lid and screwed it to a piece of scrap 2x4.

Manky surface before I attacked it with the 'Green Dremel' (Proxxon IBS/E):

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice clean surface:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Some original details, I think a Ledil Angela reflector (120mm dia x 75mm high) will fit:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Inside the light head, threaded holes are where the original bulb holder once attached:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm going to get some aluminium bar and cut/carve to fit around the posts, then shim to get the correct distance for the LED to sit in the reflector, requires roughly 3.5cm of height from the back of the light to the back of the reflector (yet to arrive).

I'm in two minds with this mod, part of me wants to try and make a stupid-bright, reasonably throwy thing, c.2k lumens and lots of throw; the other option is to make something useable for day-to-day mood-lighting in the living room, c.900 lumen at 2700K....

Flashaholic*

Looking good so far. I'd do the lower power version. You get to use it every day, it's a conversation piece and an awful lot less work. If you do need to heat sink it, a copper bar from the back of the led directly to that solid looking lump of reflector casing looks like the way to go.
    Last edited by Jay R; 06-04-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Flashaholic*

Getting better at this ring making. If anyone wants one made for their misses, let me know.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Looking good so far. I'd do the lower power version. You get to use it every day, it's a conversation piece and an awful lot less work. If you do need to heat sink it, a copper bar from the back of the led directly to that solid looking lump of reflector casing looks like the way to go.

Yeah, I think the lower output version is the way forward!

I'm going to strip the powdercoat/paint from the inside of the casing and build up the required height using aluminium, yet to figure out the exact details, but I think it should be ok -it's going to require a lot of filing and use of the dremel though!

Going to pull the trigger on:
    Ledil Angela reflector (120mm dia x 75mm depth) - £13
    Modified COB to Reflector connector gasket thing - c.£4
    Luminous devices 3000K to 1800K dimming module - £TBD c.£12
    Meanwell driver - £9

Total component cost c.£38, plus a pot for dimming, plus some wire, plus some Aluminium. Not too shabby!

Flashaholic*

Keep us updated with how it goes.

Jay - Those rings are superb!

Gravelmonkey - nice project!

(BTW-Found my password!!!!!!)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345