Jetbeam        

Thread: New sealed Copper Olight corrosion

Default New sealed Copper Olight corrosion

Hello. I bought sealed Olight R50 raw copper SN 1023 2016. I'm very disappoint of the condition. Please don't use anymore this plastic for sealing. There are greenish corroded places on the body. It's not for gift or collectible condition. All your sealed products (even this year made) smini, S1r start corrosion immediatly in this plastic.
    I used contact form on your website, sent emails to contact@olightstore.com contact@olightworld.com and have no answer.

More photos
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecx23bvt2...Nm3Qs9tea?dl=0
    Last edited by fonfan; 06-12-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Default Re: New sealed Copper Olight corrosion

My r50 copper also came a little corrosion but not as bad as can be seen on your pic tho.. so i just think the plastic bag isnt 100% airtight for some reason.. But if u were to give someone that knows this they would think u gave them a used product. I agree it shouldnt look like that, even if u dont wanna open it for a very long time it should stay almost in perfect condition after sealed in fabric until u open it.

Also where did u buy the r50, i thought they were long gone ? i got my in december last year from amazon.
    Last edited by mortuus; 06-12-2018 at 09:27 AM.

I bought a copper S1A a month ago that came like this.

Isn't this normal for raw copper? It would be very difficult to keep it away from everything corrosive (the air) for two years.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Let me guess. Silica gel was omitted from the package, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    Isn't this normal for raw copper? It would be very difficult to keep it away from everything corrosive (the air) for two years.
    Well yes but the whole point is to keep it sealed until the customer opens it otherwise i dont see the point in trying protect when it clearly doesnt.

Yea, I might be wrong but I don't think that's what this plastic baggy is for. I'd say it's just more for tiny scratches and stuff. It would need corrosion inhibitor and vacuum sealed if you wanted factory finish after storage for a long time.

Just wipe it with a silicone cloth
    TOOLvn,TN36UTvn,TN32UTvn,SK68vn,SK98vn,M2Xvn,P60vn quad <<bit of a theme. several variations of S1Baton, srMini, Factor Equipment ghost 130, Cossatot 1000xl, Mizpah 300 Reylight copper tool

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Just wipe it with a silicone cloth
    Well that is if he decides to open it, if not then its a bit harder to do something if u wanna keep it as it is..

Itís already corroded so thereís really no reason not to open it. The seal is compromised
    TOOLvn,TN36UTvn,TN32UTvn,SK68vn,SK98vn,M2Xvn,P60vn quad <<bit of a theme. several variations of S1Baton, srMini, Factor Equipment ghost 130, Cossatot 1000xl, Mizpah 300 Reylight copper tool

My TOOL cu came in a foil bag, now no way of knowing how long it was in there for. But seemed to do the trick and looked all perfect(patina free anyway).

Ketchup is another option to clean off the patina.

Copper is quite reactive, and unless vacuum packed in foil it will oxidize. If you don't like that, choose a different metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Copper is quite reactive, and unless vacuum packed in foil it will oxidize. If you don't like that, choose a different metal.
    Exactly. I love patina, never thought of it as a problem!

it'll look like this in no time at all.

~ Chance

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Looks post-apocalyptic...

I will head over to our Customer Service Dept and make sure one of our reps get's a hold of you.

Bathe it in ketchup
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi