Feeler ---- AlanB softstart incan regulator

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I have been thinking a lot and debating with some of the members and although response was not optimistic i decided to post a question after all.
Is there any Maglite modders still left interested in incan multi-level regulator?

There is possibility to light up those regulators again but there should be at least interest for them.
I have spoke with Alan and due to minimal or no interest and other obligations, he packed remaining regulators (bits and pieces) in a dark place. Other projects took him away from this piece of incan history.
Basically he could rebuild them, partially, final assembly should be done by end user. If there would be enough people (do not know what number, should be confirmed by Alan) then maybe full assembly and calibration could be done by him (also need to confirm with Alan).

This is just a feeler to see if there is any interest at all, at least to talk him into finishing remaining regulators left or to stop harassing this nice guy.

Some links:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...le-Hotwire-Regulated-Driver-drop-in-for-D-M-g

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...odamag-s-TK-Monster-Review-amp-Pix&highlight=

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Dream-Come-True-Regulated-Driver!!&highlight=

Let me know your thoughts.
PS: i know LEDs are wow but they still did not replaced incan lights and there are still some of us who are big fans of nice incan tint no matter what monster LED setup we have aside...

LIST:

id30209 x 3
thslw8jg x 2 (pending)
Fivemega x1
StudFreeman x 2
flex76italy x 2
Crumbly x 2
KuanR x 1
horizonseeker x 1

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take one, if it was a ready to use switch unit, and only needed to be installed in the m@g. I have a relatively unused 4D M@g. It already has a glass lens, and I think I've got a metal reflector somewhere. The custom switch is shorter than the regular switch, so I think it would not be that difficult to get 5 IMR 26650 cells in there, although I might have to shorten the tailspring. That would give 18.5 volts, which would give roughly 3000 lumens on high with the Hikari JC 5033 bulb, which is not a very expensive bulb.

[Edit: I meant 26500 cells, not 26650!]

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a relatively unused 4D M@g. It already has a glass lens, and I think I've got a metal reflector somewhere. The custom switch is shorter than the regular switch, so I think it would not be that difficult to get 5 IMR 26650 cells in there,
Each IMR 26650 is about 67mm long while each D cell is about 61mm long.
4x61=244 Available space for 4 D cells.
5x67=335 Required space for 5 IMR 26650
335-244=91
Can you get that much extra space from shorter switch and modified spring?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an info: there's a window in July when Alan can build limited numbers of regulators. Only if we reach a decent number of buyers then he could do full build-up. If not enough interest then only basic assembly is option. Programming is then only option for buyer. Please give it a look on his original order thread, program is simple, graphical, so no coding or anything complicated is required. I've already tried it and it's fast, few minutes only together with calibration and i'm not a computer guy at all.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega, my apologies. I meant 26500 cells. Thanks for keeping an eye out!

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for one also if its a complete unit including the bulb socket. I would also be interested in one of the programming adapters if it is something I can use with my AVRISP MKII. In addition I would also be interested in purchasing a pair of the KIU sockets that convert a stock maglite switch if those are available (not just the posts but the aluminum plate too). I still have 2 of the jimmy M regulators that need to be built out.....

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for one also if its a complete unit including the bulb socket. I would also be interested in one of the programming adapters if it is something I can use with my AVRISP MKII. In addition I would also be interested in purchasing a pair of the KIU sockets that convert a stock maglite switch if those are available (not just the posts but the aluminum plate too). I still have 2 of the jimmy M regulators that need to be built out.....

Thank you Matt for stoping by. I'll send your request to Alan although i belive it should available with purchase of regulator. Need to confirm that one. About KIU sockets i don't belive he has it. As per original thred Alan was implementing them uppon buyers shipping to him first, if not then Alan was building standard bulb socket (not sure if it's Leviton or Osram)
I think you should join me in WTB section. I have bunch of incan stuff requests.
I also have Jimmy's regulator and i've used Fivemega 6.35 brass adapter. Works like a charm and to adjust Vbulb/Vlow just pull the socket/adapter out and work it without a problem. On KIU you need to aim precisely through the holes (if you drill them right)