Fitorch        

Thread: 18650s in 2 C cell LEDs?

Arrow 18650s in 2 C cell LEDs?

I recently 3D printed adapters to run 2C and 3C cell LED lights on a single 18650, I figure there shouldn't be a problem with the 3 cells since they are designed for 4.5V nominal from alkalines, but what about the 2 cell version?

Is the Voltage of an 18650 too much for a 2 cell C (or D) LED light?

Anyone here have experience running 18650's in 2 cell C or D LEDs?

Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 18650s in 2 C cell LEDs?

It depends on the light. If it's a cheap light (such as a mag) that is depending on the internal resistance of alkaline batteries, then it might get over-driven if you use a high-power battery like an 18650, even if the (resting) voltages match. That will certainly be true if you're replacing a 2C battery, where the 18650 will be both higher voltage and higher power (low internal resistance).

What about LiFePO4? Not necessarily the sought-for solution for OP, or for most of us who are stocked with Li-ion 18650s, but I have given similar things some furtive, wispy thought now and then ...

OP - is there room for a 3.3v voltage regulator in those 3D printed adapters? Why not adapt the voltage as well as the size?

Quote Originally Posted by x8353 View Post
    What about LiFePO4? Not necessarily the sought-for solution for OP, or for most of us who are stocked with Li-ion 18650s, but I have given similar things some furtive, wispy thought now and then ...

OP - is there room for a 3.3v voltage regulator in those 3D printed adapters? Why not adapt the voltage as well as the size?
    I thought about LiFePO4's, should work better in the 2C adapter, but I don't have any in 18650 size.

Good idea about building a Voltage regulator into the 3D print! I had not thought of that. As it is now, the adapters are just a 2 or 3 C cell sized tube with a hole for a 18650 in the rear and a smaller hole through the front for a brass bolt to make the positive connection.

I checked the current on some low cost 3C lights: a Defiant 850 lumen triple LED, a 200 lumen Rayovac "Indestructible" and a Mag ML25 - all draw the same current from a 18650 as they do off of Duracell Ion Core NiMH's (which is what I normally use in C cell lights place of alkalines), so I don't see a problem with a single 18650 in a 3C light that can handle NiMH's.

I am still researching of use 18650's in a 2C Mag ML50LX, apparently the 2D ML300 uses a buck/boost driver which should be OK up to around 5 Volts, if the 2C cell ML50 has the same driver, it should be good to go as well.