RofisLight        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff threads ?

A&Q Moderator

Default Malkoff threads ?

The Malkoff Junky thread is like a black hole. It's consuming all the new posts.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Default Re: Very Few New Posts?

[associated post content retained in parent 'Few new posts' thread]
    And I definitely agree the Malkoff thread is sucking up a lot of posts.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: copied post to new thread
    John 3:16

That thread (which must nor be named) will suck your intelligence out through your ears..
    P

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    [...] And I definitely agree the Malkoff thread is sucking up a lot of posts.
    This is a very interesting point and one that I have found troublesome for a while now.

We used to run a number of Malkoff threads; threads featuring the dropins M61, M91, M31, M61L, are the first examples that come to mind - but many others as well.
    These threads were productive and useful depositories of topical information.

The 'junkies' thread used to focus on the Malkoff flashlights, but has now usurped all of the other specific & defined conversations - and frankly, it is a mess;
    Important & specific info on a particular Malkoff topic is now spread over literally hundreds of pages, and is lost by having dozens of disparate conversations interleaved.

Edit: For example, anybody recall these threads?

Some of the more pertinent topics have been continued in the 'Junkies' thread, so pretty much all of the above are now 'dead'.

The thing is, that there's no way now that relevant information will be findable after it gets to be 10-20 pages back now, so topically-related queries are just reposted and the cycle continues ...
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    [...] And I definitely agree the Malkoff thread is sucking up a lot of posts.
    Thread topic split off to new thread here.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: Malkoff threads ?

OK, to add to what I've written above;

In spite of the raging success of the 'Malkoff Junky' thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-thread-Part-2

That thread is now 6 years old and has close to 15,000 posts.
    This in itself is not an issue - there's nothing wrong with a 'social club' sort of thread dealing with a popular CPF topic & product line.

What I think is an issue, is that the more specific technical content - content that can be very useful to newer readers or users interested in technical capabilities - is diluted & disorganized enough to loose much of its usefulness.

The threads I've cited above are some good (albeit now rather dated) examples.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Hey, at least I tried to help get all of the runtime stuff split off, to here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Weekly-Updates!)

lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

So, my idea is this;

Close the massive ~500 page 'Junkies' thread;
    Open new 'Malkoff Hall' (?) thread;

Synonyms here:
    https://www.powerthesaurus.org/clubhouse

Topics to include: suggestions, experiences, opinions, etc.

---------

And then also restart some of the topical Malkoff threads - for specific product content.

I can do my part, posting current info in selected threads: my extremely rare M91N & how I used it in my December elk hunting trip, my epic M31 car flashlight kit w/ a new custom revision, that sort of thing.

Others here have experience with the MDC bodies, for example - and yes, we had a thread for those as well.

What say you?
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Hey, at least I tried to help get all of the runtime stuff split off, to here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ekly-Updates!)
    Yes that was great - exactly what would be nice to get back to.

In addition to the new "clubhouse" , I'd like to see the following technical discussion threads ...

• HD / SHD
    • WC
    • MDx
    • MDC
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-13-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Some new threads would be needed certainly; perhaps they shouldn't be /too/ specific is my only thought - but I would be happy to leave that up to individual contributors. I confess to knowing rather little about Malkoff products outside of the P60-format dropins. (Of which, I happen to be rather well-read. )

For my part, I can assist in searching for existing topics & moving new threads / posts into existing relevant threads.

-----

But the radical part would be for me to close the immensely popular (& productive) 'Junkies' thread, something I wouldn't undertake lightly; But in the interest of having additional specific conversations and a healthier overall discussion platform.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 05:05 PM.

I think a Malkoff Lounge would be cool, but some might feel neutral about the idea. (A dim attempt at flashlight humor.)

I also think it makes sense to have separate threads for kibitzing vs. technical and "how to" topics.

Who's buying the first round?
    Last edited by Blues; 06-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

On the Malkoff website, he logically categorizes the lights into "small" , "mid-sized" , and "large" ... seems reasonable to me.

Any member can open any discussion thread they'd like to - all that is cool - and the typical way of doing things.
    Which would of course be most appreciated - the last thing I'd want is to discontinue any conversations of current interest to members.

For my part, I'd like to offer up a more-defined casual thread after closing the Junkies ('Borg assimilator ' ) thread.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.

It seems every forum I've been on over the years has a runaway thread where multiple conversations take place at the same time. The Malkoff Junkie thread is ours.

I'd prefer it stay open for general chit-chattery about Malkoff subject matter, yet perhaps the 'specific' stuff can be shaped into specific threads, some of which already exist.
    "Poor Man's Haiku" and "M31" are examples that didn't get sucked into the swirling black hole abyss of the "Junkie" thread.

Success can be a tricky thing.

*Flashaholic*

I vote for Malkoff lounge.

I frankly don't read anything else.Mr. Malkoff deserves it. The users deserve it. and want it.

The massive Malkoff Junkie thread is impossible to navigate. There is tons of good info there, buried somewhere. Leave it in the Malkoff lounge but start, smaller, manageable threads that focus on single items.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

If I've understood correctly, the Malkoff Hall is actually a dedicated sub-forum, with organized access to individual topic threads? Seems that's the only way it could work, otherwise you end up searching for old product threads to ask a new question, without being entirely sure that the thread exists. People will open duplicate or rival threads, then we end up with a new variety of disorganization.

I agree that the current thread is a beast.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

No no not a dedicated subforum, that's a different animal altogether.

Historically, there exists considerable precedent for closing huge threads & offering up a new one as a subsequent 'Part x'.

What I am wanting to do is to define a smaller scope for the next ongoing thread, and reinitiating the technical / topical Malkoff threads we used to do.

Edit: etc nails it in his post above.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 06-13-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    [...] People will open duplicate or rival threads, then we end up with a new variety of disorganization.
    It is very easy to find existing threads on any specific topic via the Google search function, /and/ also easy for Staff to merge new threads into existing known ones - our collective knowledge is an asset here.

Nothing new here, it's how it was done for many years before the Junkies 'Borg' thread - and worked very well.

Alright K, when you figure this one out you can start on HDS... hehehe

OMG, the HDS threads - perfect chain pulling there, my B.P. just went up a couple of points lol.
    Not my favorite CPF thread series.

Ah, I see. Still, I'd really hate to see the closure of the Junkie thread. So many gems tucked away in there.

I understand - this is why I wanted to have that discussion here first.

Nothing's getting deleted .... In fact, with the old system, I think the threads had some maximum number of posts.

When it would get to be time, the thread would be locked off and a new continuation started, with links forwards and back.

There were topics that had a dozen or more "volumes"

I actually miss those days

I vote to close that thread and start new threads that cover most of what that thread did but more organized.

I, for one, would like to see a thread dedicated solely to upcoming Malkoff releases. It seems like a good bulk of the Junkies thread was dedicated to that.

Some other suggestions I can think of are:

Technical Specs Thread (including run time, lumen output, etc.)
    Pics Thread
    Recommend a Malkoff for Me Thread

Anybody want to add or let me know if this might be useful?

Also, it would be cool to have a sticky thread with a collection of Malkoff threads listed. It would be a way for members to possibly revitalize some of those older threads.

Bill

Default Malkoff threads ?

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    That thread (which must nor be named) will suck your intelligence out through your ears..
    P
    How funny, I seem to have participated in a coup. While my comment was tongue in cheek, I have to admit that I gave up on the Junkie thread a while ago, mainly for the reasons already cited. Moving the graphs and runtimes was inspired, as while they are a fantastic resource, they were making a fog which you needed to peer through to get any different information. Looks like Kestrel os taking on a difficult task, for which I thank him.
    PS Is it egotistical to quote yourself?
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 06-14-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Also, it would be cool to have a sticky thread with a collection of Malkoff threads listed. It would be a way for members to possibly revitalize some of those older threads.

Bill
    I started a Malkoff collection thread (not to be contrued with collection of Malkoff threads) in the collecting subforum in the past. Folks howled "there's the junkie thread, no need for this one" lol

Here's my question. Suppose a new member wants to ask a question about, say, a particular MDC. How does he/she know where pose the question? Put another way, are we relying on the collective memory of experienced members to know which threads exist, where they are located, and whether it's necessary to start a new thread? These threads can't be left at the mercy of the latest bump in the LED forum. Just my two cents.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    It is very easy to find existing threads on any specific topic via the Google search function, /and/ also easy for Staff to merge new threads into existing known ones - our collective knowledge is an asset here.

Just to be perfectly clear --- You don't have to use the google search, you can use any search engine like DuckDuckGo or StartPage.

In any case, I do not want to use the external search engine. Though, I've had no choice in the last few years as the thread is unmanageable, completely.

Running searches on the forum puts some load on the system and if the thread was organized, search wouldn't be all that needed in the first place.

When I was in the software development, and learning in school, they taught us to break code down into small manageable pieces, about 1 page per subroutine. That is called divide and conquer. If you use 100 pages as a continuous flow without any structure, that was a minus. They called it 'spaghetti code'. Which is what the thread is. You have to go back to page 129 to find something, it's a pain. My searches via the forum never work I have to use an external search engine which is hit and miss.

We need a thread on Hound Dog, a thread on AA lights (mdc) a thread on future products, a thread on pictures, etc. etc. etc.

I still think a sub-forum is needed where all that could be accomplished. OTOH, the traffic there could go down since it would be out of sight, out of mind that is a real possibility. So. Maybe a dedicated forum is not needed but multiple threads are, but then how do you organize them? they will constantly scroll out of sight.

Out of sight, out of mind
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast