Review: MHVAST TS50NW (Floodlight, 3x18650, XHP50.2, Thermal test)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the MVHAST TS50 from BangGood.com for the review.
The TS50 is a 3x18650 floody light, with an XHP50.2 emitter. The light is available in CW and NW, I got the latter.

The Light comes in this box.
MHVAST_TS50_01.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_02.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_03.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_04.jpg

The content of the box: the TS50, manual, o-ring, spare switch cover.
MHVAST_TS50_05.jpg

The TS50 (170x47x64mm)
MHVAST_TS50_06.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_07.jpg

Some fins around the head
MHVAST_TS50_08.jpg

The body has some milling to improve the grip of the light
MHVAST_TS50_09.jpg

The electronic switch at the head of the light. It is also backlit.
MHVAST_TS50_11.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_12.jpg

There's some knurling near the glass too.
MHVAST_TS50_10.jpg

The OP reflector with the warm XHP50.2 emitter. The glass shows some purples reflections at some angles, so I think it features a AR treatment.
MHVAST_TS50_13.jpg

Removing the body from the head of the light.
MHVAST_TS50_14.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_15.jpg

The inside of the body is not anodized.
MHVAST_TS50_16.jpg

The battery carrier, that can be inserted in both ways. It works with button top and flat top cells.
MHVAST_TS50_17.jpg

The tailcap is glues, so it can't be unscrewed from the body.

Some size comparisons
MHVAST_TS50_18.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_19.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_20.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_21.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_22.jpg

MHVAST_TS50_23.jpg

UI

• Single click the switch to turn the flashlight on/off
  • With the flashlight on,press and hold the switch toStart shift mode:high-middle-low,when release the switch to stay the the current mode,
  • Double click the switch quickly to access the hidden strobe mode,double click again to access SOS/beacon mode.
  • With the batteries installed,the flashlight is turn off,press and hold the switch to turn the flashlight to Moonlight mode
  • In Moonlight mode,double click the switch quickly 3 times to turn to locked mode,then double click the switch quickly 3 times again to unlocking.

Runtime and output
All tested with 3 18650 LG MJ1 unprotected.
MHVAST_TS50_25.png

MHVAST_TS50_24.png

MHVAST_TS50_27.png

Beamshot
MHVAST_TS50_26.jpg

The tint on my sample is a very pleasant neutral warm and the big emitter gives a good balance of flood and throw, headed more toward the flood side.
This is the ideal beam if you need to check out large areas with distances within 100-120 meters.

If you want to take a look at how the light looks in hand and how it performs in video, here's a youtube video for you.

And here's the thermal test of the light running at high mode.

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The regulation at the high mode is good, beware that the light will become hot at high mode… but it won't change the output by much. On the mid mode the output is less regulated.
I like that I can turn on the light at the last used mode and at the lowest mode, but I wish I could have direct access to high mode. I'd also like to have an additional 50ish output mode.
Compared to other lights that you saw in the pic, you can tell that it is smaller and lighter, mainly because it is a 3x18650 light, and so it features less runtime than the 4x18650 counterparts, but it is more easy to carry and use.

I would like this light to come with a sheath.
Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help, the tripod, the luxmeter.

Buy at this link https://goo.gl/6mufTi
And use the code code: 18f492 for getting the light at only 69$

Save other bucks by checking out other BangGood promotions here
1.6.18 Mid Year Sale
early bird sale up to 80% off
SHOP NOW
Link:https://goo.gl/JdgpKd

2.APP ONLY
Even cheaper than the PC version
Exclusive Benefits Are Revealed
Link: https://goo.gl/v7pyGc

3.Get a bonus 10% off coupon the first time you log into Banggood's online shopping site app
Link: https://goo.gl/Q6etn6

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they used 3x18650 to drive this light? The Zebralight SC600w Plus has very similar max output, and uses a XHP50.2, but only 1x18650. So a single 18650 is able to drive the XHP50.2 just fine.

Is Mhvast trying to avoid using a boost driver? If so, I'm not sure what 3x18650 gets them. It's too little voltage for the 12v config of the XHP50.2, but way too much voltage for the 6v config. If they used a linear regulator, a 2x18650 battery configuration would make more sense.

Perhaps they're just going for run-time. Do you know if they're using a buck driver for some good efficiency?