Is a malkoff p60 worth it

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title says... I have a couple older hosts including a g2L and a ultra fire c1. Both have tons of life but the p60 drop ins are very dated. Is it worth buying a malkof p60 of some variety? After all, the streamlight polytac is a pro-grade (fire, police, etc) light with strong output and good utility for the same price... open to thoughts!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on your needs. You can find P60 type modules that are brighter than Malkoff, but your Malkoff drop in will have heirloom quality. Nothing against Streamlight (lots of proponents here), but most would agree that Malkoff boasts a superior build quality.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is. Not just the product, but the customer service. Keep an eye on the wts section to find malkoffs drop-ins At great prices.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wasn't to me, when I swapped out the 80LM LED in a new 6P that I had. I went with the Redilast 1.5A XM-L2 U2 for $40 and it's fine.

They are at the top of the game, if you don't mind spending $50-$60 for one.

My SF sits in a drawer.

Chris

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wasn't to me, when I swapped out the 80LM LED in a new 6P that I had. I went with the Redilast 1.5A XM-L2 U2 for $40 and it's fine.

They are at the top of the game, if you don't mind spending $50-$60 for one.

My SF sits in a drawer.

Chris
The M61, which just got a bump up to 425 lumen, is 39.99 right now. Would be even better with a coupon code.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Check out PflexPro. Randy makes some high quality drop is. You and get he h17f driver in it which will provide almost many options. He also sells the solarforce varieties that are already 18650 capable.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your needs? Do you need rock solid dependability? Take anything reliability? Fantastic customer service? Then Malkoff is the way to go.

I just needed a good drop-in to replace the incan P60s in my 6P and G2. Mountain Electronics sells a CUXM/CUXP drop in that is available in Nichia. I know that they stand behind their products, and that everyone that deals with them like the products and service. None of my lights see heavy duty service, they just need to be available when needed.

You might want to check Illumin.com. They sometimes have specials on Malkoffs, and have a special relationship which gives them some versions not available anywhere else.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61, which just got a bump up to 425 lumen, is 39.99 right now. Would be even better with a coupon code.

Yeah, that's a nice price if one wants a single output of 425LM from a light, or if the OP needed to use it on a rifle of some sort.

Otherwise, unless you're waxing nostalgic, or you're an LEO that needs pure simplicity due to high stress levels, then there are better choices out there for even a 2 mode light, as in the PolyTac. One day I'll buy a Malkoff just to say I have one and 'know' what it's all about, much like the HDS lights, but not now.

I normally stay out of these threads where I'd insert a 'negative' opinion, but the OP was specific with his subject header, so I weighed in.

We're all different and if we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world.

Chris

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it worth it to you? Only you can decide that based on what you needs, desires, budget, and competing interests.

I bought my first Malkoff out of curiosity. I was impressed enough that I bought a couple more, but I'm probably done now. My needs are met and my curiosity is mostly satisfied.

I'm at work right now and on my belt is a Lumens Factory E1 body with a Malkoff VME head containing a Malkoff M31LL 219B drop-in. I would NEVER have purchased a single mode light for the amount of money this setup cost me, but since I purchased the bits individually over time and lego'd them together into this configuration, I've ended up with a light that I'm very happy with.

--flatline

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's a nice price if one wants a single output of 425LM from a light, or if the OP needed to use it on a rifle of some sort.

Otherwise, unless you're waxing nostalgic, or you're an LEO that needs pure simplicity due to high stress levels, then there are better choices out there for even a 2 mode light, as in the PolyTac. One day I'll buy a Malkoff just to say I have one and 'know' what it's all about, much like the HDS lights, but not now.

I normally stay out of these threads where I'd insert a 'negative' opinion, but the OP was specific with his subject header, so I weighed in.

We're all different and if we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world.

Chris
Fair enough. My post was mostly meant as an FYI that Malkoffs can be had for less than $50-$60.

Personally I only run Malkoff drop ins in Malkoff hosts, since I have the option of hi/low resistor ring. My SF and Solarforce hosts all have PFlexPro modules. To me a single mode light is more of a toy and not something I'd bring with for practical applications.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me a single mode light is more of a toy and not something I'd bring with for practical applications.

10 years ago, I would totally have agreed with this. However, in my old age, I find that I'd rather deal with multiple simple lights than a single complicated light.

--flatline

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumn does have some very interesting options. Might not be worth the money but I might have to... refresh... my bed stand g2L!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second thoughts also. Any other major options for a solid drop in that is p90 (9v) compatible?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I feel Malkoff is worth it. He has coupons often, and discount for CPF members I believe. Also, usually discount after you review your product, but I buy Malkoff regardless. I definitely recommend the high/low ring for daily use. You can get the M361-LMH in cool or neutral, put the high/low ring in and have 6 modes. 3 is more than enough for me, but I have read people do that and have six. I have used a few of his lights very hard at work, for quite a few years now and they all hold up. I have broke a few other brands in a month or two month period under the same usage. I drop them and bang them into things quite a bit and use the clicky switch a lot, especially in the winter when it gets dark early. I have had other lights break in the middle of my shift before, but some years ago found Malkoff after I used an incandescent Surefire 6P (which also held up) (still have it), but bought the Malkoff drop in for it.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a m61NL recently, went in my rifle light in an old g2 for now. Have a 6P (nos) coming in the mail which might need a m61 or m61n as well. Pretty impressed with my first!

Although I am torn on using that money to buy/build a high cri multi emitter drop in for my centurion c3...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The NL was a great choice Buck. 5 hour regulated runtime (with long period of dimming after) and still bright enough to see 100 feet. It's very popular around here for good reason.

Keep your eyes on the 'want to sell' section for the occasional M91 that pops up.