Flashaholism to the rescue!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashaholism payed back this weekend. I was traveling with my godparents into the city in their minivan and they told me a story.

2 Months earlier
I purchased a CMG Ultra Infinity for my godfather from Kevin at BS along with a charger and some batteries. He kept it on his keychain and uses it at work (network administrator.) Seeing the size/runtime/durability of the light. I ordered another one for my godmother a little later. Both these lights have L91 Lithiums in them for brightness and weight (lighter.)

3 weeks earlier
They are driving back home (NJ) from the city (NYC) on a Saturday night at around 8PM. On a dark road with no street lights they get a flat. Getting out the tire changing tools and spare they had to use the pair of CMG lights. If they did not have a pair of these lights changing the tire would have been a task that would not have been easy.

So last Saturday while with them on the ride to Manhattan, they thanked me for the lights.

This made me feel good and Thank You CandlePowerForums for giving me the bug!

Jason

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Now get some Arc Lsh-S for them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one, Jason! Nerd, they may not appreciate the LSH. The infinity Ultra is good for poking around the innards of a computer. Something like a Nite Ize headband goes really well with the Ultra (hint). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Like Charles said, I doubt they will appreciate the LSH-S deal. At $80 a set, two sets, thats $160 then $5 shipping, thats about one of my paychecks lol. The if I get a set of my godparents, I'll need to get a set for my parents (they each currently own a SL TT 1L with supplements of a PT Impact for around the house use and a 6D when they need to whack those bumps in the night.)

I will look out for the Nite Ize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe a Inova X5T too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the next light for them is not an LS but a PT Surge, about $20-25 including batteries, to put in their car. Or alternatively, a pair of Dorcy Spyders, about $35 at Costco for a two-pack including four CR123's (two for each light).

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, It kind of gives a purpose to flashaholism, doesn't it? Not that we ourselves need a reason, but it helps convince others that being a flashaholic isn't as weird and useless as they may think! Nice going! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr - I would mostly rely on LED's because they don't blow like bulbs. Run time is also a very important factor. I want something that provides modest flood light for dark adapted eyes and really long run time also has to be CR123 powered. My godfather does have a Streamlight 4AA Propolymer for the house (incandescent.)

Big Ed - Yes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gives me a reason to get another flashlight in addition to the 20 some odd I purchased within the past year.

roguesw

Enlightened
i have a similar story of flasholism coming to the rescue,
on the weekend, the power went out at a friends house, rang me up and said, dude, can i borrow a couple of your flashlights, he couldnt find any candles as he arrived home in the dark with power out, loaned him my mclux and even though he found his flashlight, the mclux was all he used and some candles as well. heheheh, after the weekend, he kept pestering me to buy it lol
i'll make him one next time,

paulr

Flashaholic
I wouldn't worry too much about bulbs blowing out. That's the flashaholic in you, aiming for total control over the situation instead of just being practical (all of us flashaholics are like that). Just put a spare bulb in the glove compartment along with the light and your friend will be fine if the first bulb pops. Similarly, extreme runtime isn't that big a deal either. It's not going to take 42 hours to change a flat.

On the UKE 4AA eLED thread a few people are recommending that light as a good car light. It's not a powerhouse, but is about 4x brighter than an Infinity Ultra, so comparable to a typical 2D light. Runtime is 11+ hours on four alkaline AA's. I suppose you could put lithium AA's in it if you're concerned about cold weather. There's a 2L incandescent version of it too, and the xenon and LED lamps are interchangeable. But they don't currently sell the 2L version with the LED lamp.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr - I didn't think of that.

Flashaholism wants total control in me...No bulbs to blow out and LED back ups for incandescents and a back-up to that LED that backs up the incandescent, LOL. My last resort light would be the Arc AAA hanging with my dog tags.

Once I get my next paycheck I'll see where I go with lights (need to get some UCL's and a PM6 LED first.)

paulr

Flashaholic
TT 2L is another good light for that purpose and is under $30. I keep forgetting it for some reason. The 2L's xenon beam is much brighter than the 1L's.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JasonC8301 said:
paulr - I would mostly rely on LED's because they don't blow like bulbs. Run time is also a very important factor. I want something that provides modest flood light for dark adapted eyes and really long run time also has to be CR123 powered. My godfather does have a Streamlight 4AA Propolymer for the house (incandescent.)

Big Ed - Yes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gives me a reason to get another flashlight in addition to the 20 some odd I purchased within the past year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The X5T would also fit what you are looking for, with good runtime too boot, and at a reasonable price.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed with Charles on the X5t. Great light to have just about anywhere...
Also, you could consider the UKE 2AAA Eled or Xenons as gifts, they are pretty cheap and the Xenons are mighty bright for its size. Maybe pair them up (one of each), so that you have a primary (xenon) and backup (led) both at the same time! For the price, it can't be beat, IMHO!