Medical question?

Wylie

Enlightened
I wasn't sure until just a minute ago that my clavical had been broken. This is my favored arm and at one point wrapping thread on fishing rods was too painful to do for any real period of time. For the most part the pain has subsided but does come back with sharp spikes sometimes, kind of like when my finger hit the depression I can feel in my clavical. I have been wondering if this pain may go away and think it may as the break is not anything like a compound fracture although I do feel a depression when I run my finger along my clavical.
Would anybody here have ever experienced this or have any information they can share?

B@rt

Flashaholic
The only sane advice I can give is to go see a doctor and have it checked out...
Really, you can have severe pains in a very distict area wich could have multiple reasons. An X-ray will be the only way to make sure. IMHO...
(I've had a few injuries, and in a couple of cases the symptoms were the same as with a broken bone, but it turned out to be something else...)

dougmccoy

Enlightened
What makes you think you have a fracture of the clavical? Have you sustained trauma? Do you suffer from osteoporosis? Have you got calcium deficiency?

Also where is the site that you say your finger hits a depression? Although fractures to the clavical are not uncommon, complete fractures usually lead to marked deformity of the affected shoulder. If the injury was caused by trauma it is important to ensure that the injury is properly assessed. Except in a dire emergency it is strongly suggested that you speak to a physician to establish the nature of the injury you beleve you have.

Doug

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Why are you sure? Did you take a fall, were you in a car accident or incur a sports injury? What does the depression feel like, is the fracture a matter of two halves or a longitudinal fracture?

Assuming you do have a broken collarbone, if is a regular fracture, you have little medical recourse, but should use a sling for support, not wrap thread (it will take longer to heal) and keep your shoulders back (like lie on the floor). If your fracture is longitudinal (which is unlikely), there are some surgical remedies. With rest, it can take from a month to two to heal.

I have broken my clavicle, and the pain was a b*tch and the clean break healed overlapping, which is common. You can easily see it by looking at my two collarbones.

But Bart and Doug are right, if you suspect you have a broken bone, a visit to a healthcare practitioner and an x-ray will answer your questions much more definitively than we can.

daloosh

Wylie

Enlightened
B@rt this is an insane world and a lot that I could explain would just lead to a lot more questions. I'm pretty sure the injury to my clavicle is directly related to the pain as it runs across the top part of my chest and shots toward my shoulder.

Dougmccoy it has been a long time since I was jumped and the pain has not left. The depression is on the right side. If I were to make a straight line from the right side of neck straight down to my clavicle that would be where the depression is. Oh yeah I was feeling deformed for a while and the pain makes me look a little deformed as I favor or baby the right side when it is bothering me.

Daloosh it is the only explanation I can come up with and the depression really feels as though the clavicle was broken. I took myself (first mistake) out one night for some drinks (second mistake) and started to have to much fun with this girl playing pool (third and forth mistake). I was drinking shots of Yegermaister backed with beer (fifth mistake) and basically blacked out on my way to my truck for some smokes. I member waking up as someone was climbing the passenger side of my truck I was sleeping in the parking lot (sixth mistake). As I confronted the person climbing in the passenger side with the best blows I could land without my glasses and being in a confined space in the dark another person opened the drivers door and started in on me from behind. While all of this is going I am coming to my senses a little more and began to land better blows while the to two exchanged efforts to pull money from my pockets and grab what they could from my truck. The guy that jumped in the passenger side of my truck either had a pair of brass knuckles on or some rings under his gloves because he hit hard and it felt nothing like blows I had taken before. About the time the guy on the drivers side got me in a head lock and started to pull me from the truck I put my foot in the other guys face and grabbed the guy that had me in the head lock by his genitals and m not in any kind of friendly way. It was about this time they got scared and split. I woke up with the door open and my neck stuck looking down. When I lifted my head with great effort there crunching noises and I saw black and blue with little dots moving around as I almost passed out from the pain. They got my cell phone my day-to-day book and really put the works on me. I figure I'm just lucky to come out of it in the shape that I did.

The depression feels just like a dent but when I touched it last night the pain was very sharp and shot toward my shoulder. I feel both sides and the other doesn't have the same dent. It may be two halves that have done some healing already. I don't think it is a longitudal break. This happened in the end of Dec.

Just the same as broken ribs a trip to the doctor would only have me wrapped up like I could do and taking pills I don't like. I've been there and done that with the broken rib thing before and that is another level of pain all together. At this point a re-break or surgery wouldn't really be something I would look forward to as the pain has subsided for the most part with only accessional spikes. From what has been said it sounds as though some more time to heal would be the best I could do and if the pain comes too often or the break pops again I will have to take a trip to see a practitioner. Needless to say I am not much for doctors but will make the trip if it is a necessity.
I know this could vary but my interest in this post was to possibly get some idea of how long I will have to go before the pains that come sometimes will go away.

Thanks for chiming in guys,
Wylie

I forgot to mention the guy on the drivers side was hitting me with a stick or something ans was most likely the on who broke my collar bone.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go see a doctor. That is the only responsible answer anyone can give to you. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, so what I am about to say is not coming from a qualified medical professional.

However, lets assume (dangerous I know) that your collar bone was in fact broken. Lets also assume (still treading on dangerous gound) that it is not a compound fracture and that nothing else is wrong.

What they typically do is wrap what is called a figure-8 around you and put your arm in a sling to immobilize it. In 2-3 weeks you can probably not use the sling as much (if at all). In about 6 weeks you MIGHT be allowed to remove the firgure-8 as long as your careful.

Now, generally (dangerous to generalize) most simple fractures take something like 6-12 weeks (maybe more) before a cast will come off. Doesn't mean it's completely healed up, that's just when the cast MIGHT be taken off. Remember, a broken bone always means soft tissue trauma as well ..... muscle, tendon, ligament, cartilage etc. Lots of other "stuff" can and does get damaged to a certain extent when you break a bone. All of this takes time to get back up to snuff. For instance, it could take a year or more for tendons or ligaments to stop hurting and function at 100% (or near 100%, may never get it all back)....... and that's with some kind of physical therapy, either by a qualified physical therapist or on your own at your doctors instructions. If you have a substantial amount of scar tissue (which can cause adhesions), that may have to be "broken" up to get full (possibly even minmal) movement back without experiencing too much, if any pain or discomfort.

If this happened at the end of December, it would not be surprising that you still have some aches and pains. Do you have full motion of that side? Does it hurt when you try to move it fully? What have you been doing to re-hab that area, if anything?

That depresssion you are feeling might be permanent, you might be pressing on a nerve ...... it could be something, it could be nothing, nobody can tell you on a forum.

Again ....... go see a doctor.

Mike

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Mike,
I have gained much more mobility of my arm in the time that it has taken so far. The night I posted what I did I was having some pain and was wondering how long it may last. I guess I just moved the wrong way or did something because that depression really did feel something like a nerve when I put my figure on it. The pain has mellowed out again for the most part and I know I should see a doctor but without insurance it is going to take some real serious pain to get me there.
This one I will have to take as another lesson learned and I thank all of you for your input and suggestions.
This area I am living in will soon be a part of my past and a real relief to put behind me.
I figure from the state I was in and how things went down these were a couple of hipes looking for an easy mark to roll and I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'm counting my blessings and moving on.
Thanks again guys, I'll stop sniveling now,
Wylie

B@rt

Flashaholic
Wylie, I think I can understand where you are coming from, but even if it will cost you money, I strongly urge you see a doctor...
Just an advise from someone who got disabiltated by a relatively simple injury....

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie,

No problem. I do understand not having insurance and trying to just mend on your own. I have been known to do that "heal thyself" routine as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hope you start feeling better physically and that your overall situation improves as well.

You might want to try Advil or Aleve (as directed on the label) for pain. Even plain old aspirin will help for swelling and tenderness. Although aspirin may not be such a good idea if there is any kind of bleeding present. Also, hot compress or a heating pad directly on the effected area will help with some of the discomfort.

Every day you should try to move your effected side (arm/shoulder) it's full range. Here is a link that will explain it better. Even though it's for your shoulder, it should provide your clavical area the necessary re-hab.

Shoulder rehab link

Disclaimer:
Again, and I must stress this. I am NOT a trained or licensed medical professional. By following my advice you could injure yourself further. You should see a trained and licensed medical professional for treatment. By following my advice you do so at your own free will and will never hold me responsible for injuring yourself or injuring yourself further.
End Disclaimer

Mike

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Mike,

I applaud your reasoning and for someone with no medical knowledge you are remarkably well informed. The issue of tissue adhesion is a complicated one but in general does not often arise as a problem in non complicated fractures. From the description given by Wylie it is probable that he did fracture his clavicle. (Only an X-ray would provide definitive proof) He has probably already seen a limited amount of healing but because of the fact that he has had no proper support or medical care is suffering from muscular skeletal and neurological problems. In all probability the problem will resolve itself but the risk of long term damage to the bone structure is quite high and may lead to permanent weakness.

On the assumption that Wylie cant afford medical care I would not recommend regular dosing of analgesics such as Aspirin or paracetamol. Aspirin is a gastric irritant and is not really effective for muscular skeletal problems any way. Paracetamol is more useful for short term analgesia but care has to be exercised with the amount and duration, typicaly no more than 3-5 days at most. A better alternative for a short period of use would be something like Ibuprofen which is an effective Non Steroidal Anti inflamatory Drug, NSAID for short. This would provide a reasonable amount of analgesia whilst helping damp down inflamation. Care should be taken to ensure that it is taken after meals and not to excess. It should also be used for the minimum amount of time possible to achieve pain relief, typically for a few days at most.
Further debate is only going to add more confusion and possibly worry or concern for Wylie. As he either cant afford or is reluctant to obtain medical care for his injury I believe that we have given him good basic advice which should have been sufficient to help him decide where he goes from here.

Wylie...I hope you see some improvement and can continue to enjoy a recovery from this injury but in reality still recommend a visit to a physician.

Doug

Wylie

Enlightened
B@rt,
I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think this is going to get better but it is just going to take some time. Do you mind me asking what happened that cause your disability?
If I was a vehicle I think it would be time for an overhaul and I'm only 37.
I'm on the disabled list myself because of a back injury and know how hard it can be.

JackBlade,
This was in San Jacinto at a bar called Jimenez. It wasn't the worst dive I have seen but wasn't very nice either. I haven't been back since and doubt I will ever, I don't like bars much anyways.

Mike,
I just think it is going to take some time. I do stretch my arm out in the mornings and pull my shoulders back so the muscles do not get all snitched up and make me look all hobbled. I'll look into the link you have listed for me to see what they suggest as a therapeutic type motion or exercises I can work this thing through with.
I do have Ibuprofen but kind of try to save that stuff for my back when it goes south on me. Yeah I'm a real train wreck for 37 but life isn't stopping for me so I roll on.
I just took a peek at the link and that is different then what I have been doing so I better make the change in exercise in the morning and see how that goes for a while.

I'm sorry your disclaimer just cracked me up! I don't rub elbows with ambulance chasers but I can understand your reasoning in the disclaimer. Those types of people are the reason I can't afford medical insurance.

Dougmccoy,
I have to applaud Mike as well as I am the guy receiving the very sound information from Mike and you others here that have taken the time to give me your best opinions of what would be the better for me.
Oh yeah that stuff (aspirin, Ibuprofen) messes with the stomach believe me. I can't even drink wine without going through some pretty gnarly heartburn. Yep food before the ibuprofen most definitely!
Straight up, I can't afford medical help and I am a little reluctant with doctors after getting an inguinal hernia while going through physical therapy for a back injury.
You know this makes no sense at all but I have tried to get assistance with the hernia and they will not do anything until I start to bleed from my butt from what they have told me. So much for preventative medicine and medical assistance here in the states, now this scares me far more then my collarbone does.

I have to thank you guys again for giving me the information you have and for your concern.
Keep it real, bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Wylie,
Man you do sound a bit of a physical wreck but have my thoughts and sympathies for your medical problems. The inguinal hernia should only be a problem if it is inadequately supported. The major danger would be if it becomes stangulated. You dont need to know the signs & symptoms because believe me you'll know it if it ever happens. I can only suggest that you keep it supported by using a proper medical hernia support or abdominal straping. This way it shouldn't become too much of an issue and you can still lead an active life. [Caution!] Do not do any vigorous exercise without supporting the hernia. You might be lucky but it would be tempting fate too much without support. The proper treatment involves surgery (it's not an overly complicated operation) and can be done in day surgery. The success rate is way up in the 90-100% region and would provide permanent relief. Obviously not a solution for you at the moment from your financial point of view?

Hope you keep well and me and the wife will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Doug

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Doug,
My medical condition and the fact that Uncle Sam has lost track of me now as it has been a few years since I have filed taxes has made life at least a little interesting. Being I am moving to Idaho soon I have thought I would be able to file for unemployment as I'll be closing up shop here in California but that was just another thorn in my side. Many years I paid into unemployment as an electrical worker and because I have had nothing to declare for the past couple years (I checked with H & R Block and was told I had no need to file taxes) I loose all that I had paid in. H&R block didn't tell me what would happen to my resale number so now I may have to fight to get that back when I move to Idaho. With no record available for employers this makes getting job a real bear as well. I had never spent more then a couple weeks without work before all of this and I have been looking for almost three years now to supplement my fishing rod building with no luck what so ever. My family wasn't much help in the whole matter either as even with an extra bedroom that wasn't being used I had to live in my truck while trying to go through rehab with Workman's Comp. Between the truck payment, gas, insurance, food and driving to a place where I wouldn't get ticketed for sleeping in my vehicle I was unable to be trained as a graphics designer. Not the greatest career but it would have been a foothold at least and I was interested in learning what could be considered another art form as a career. Believe it or not the physical rehab during the Workman's Comp is where I got the hernia. The rehab tech or what ever they are called hooked me up the electric message thing and let me sit with the thing on for a while and the ice melted some on my back. When she cam back she hit the switch on the thing while it was turned on the highest setting. I did a very fast sit up and felt the hernia tear at that point. I told her I felt the tear but she made me continue with the physical therapy for the rest of the session and it didn't feel very good. It has been a little over three years now I have had the hernia and it just keeps getting larger.
I have also done the S.S.I. thing and really made a run at it for some time just come up empty handed there as well. At one point this had me very angry, as a fair share of the people in these offices I spoke with didn't even really need the assistance from what they told me, having jobs that paid under the table and collecting at the same time. I took the S.S.I. to the point of going to a shrink with what has already been diagnosed as depression and was called an opportunist by the shrink. That man was lucky I was able to contain myself at that point as I just about snapped on him. Now I figure I may have just been better off if I did snap on him, go figure!
The hernia is a bit of an irritant especially in the mornings sometimes when I do the smokers cough wake up thing. I think it is North Dallas 40 that reminds me of my wake ups barring the wacky tabacky and alcohol, Nick Nolte really looked like a train wreck but at least he was making good money. It's almost comical as I have had my hand on my back walking across the living room and will cough and then the hand goes to my hernia as I feel it blowing up with the pressure of the cough. Okay comical in a sadistic sense anyway.
Would the strangulation be anything like a wrenching gut ache that would have a person folded over for most of the day until the intestines move the blockage out of the constricted area? I have been stopped up for a couple days at time here in the resent past and have been wondering if this may be a part of the hernia but do not really know for sure.

It is all pretty confusing, painful and frustrating at this point but like I have said before this world isn't going to stop turning for me so I roll on and keep getting rolled.

I thank you for your sentiments Doug and let the wife know for me as well please.

All the best to you and all that have been chiming in here,
Wylie

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the Emerg Room of your County hospital. They are required by law to treat EVERYONE regardless of money to pay or insurance. You will have to wait... maybe hours...but you will be treated.

GregR

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie, You've already shown your reluctance to head over to the ER for every little thing that goes wrong. A lot of people in your position use the ER as their personal doctors which costs everybody a fortune. But if you have an emergency then that IS what it's for! They will get you an X-Ray and find out what you need to do to finish healing properly. LIke Double_A says, go in, and bring a book, you're gonna be sitting there for quite some time...