car lights

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
This is mainly for the LEO's or others that know, are there laws on the color, brightness of turn signals and break lights?
Jason

iddibhai

Enlightened
pending more info, i think they do are uniform across jurisdictions within a country (can you imagine the logistics nightmare of having different lamp requirements for each state in a union?), and the outputs are also very wide (as evidenced by a whole lot of crappy stuff along with few good implementations).

usually (i'm going from memory) tail lamps are 5w, brake/turn are 22w, not sure on fronts, should be close. side markers are much smaller.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
As far as I know, yes, there are such laws.

If you have a show car that you drive on the roads, just be sure your lights - all of them - are DOT approved and that you're not blaring down the road with more than 4 "headlights" on at a time, and you should be fine.

Your local codes/ordinances may also impact smaller issues, such as reflector color and visibility, etc.

Here in Cleveland, a lot of the SCC crowd were cited for violations of municiple motor-safety codes for using rear break/turn light units that were patterned after the early/mid-90s "white-out" fad. Although legal red/yellow bulbs were used, citations were given for the units lacking visible red reflectors. Most drivers later changed to the now more popular "see-through" units, whose red reflectors and bulb lenses seem to have satisfied the local enforcement.

Strobes and blue or red accents (typically used to designate emergency vehicles) are generally a no-no used on the road, but in most jurisdictions, I've seen enforcement turn a blind eye to "ground-effects" and license-plate or windshield-washer accents.

Allen
aka DumboRAT