Drive-By Threads

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone else noticing an increase in the number of drive-by threads that are started, but the OP never checks back in on the replies? I'm just wondering what the cause is? Is it that CPF doesn't give the instant gratification of the likes of Faceache, so if a query isn't answered in 30 femtoseconds the OP moves on? Or am I just getting old? :sigh:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nothing new actually. I've actually done it myself at specific brand/model forums.

I did pop back in and say thanks though. That part might be new... not thanking folks.

I'd venture to say lots of times folks join, post, log out and never log back in. A generation of folks who say preparing a bowl of breakfast cereal is too time consuming the act of log-ing back in?... "are you kidding?" "That takes up too much of my precious free time"....

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
As someone new here, just want to add I almost accidentally did that. When you're new and you post, it takes like a day for your post to go live. When you don't see it, even after checking back, you forget about it. Also, by default I didn't receive any email notification that my post had went live, or that anyone had responded to it. Not a criticism, just letting you know, I'm sure that happens to lots of people.

maukka

Enlightened
An automatic subscription with email notification to a thread you started would probably help.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone new here, just want to add I almost accidentally did that. When you're new and you post, it takes like a day for your post to go live. When you don't see it, even after checking back, you forget about it. Also, by default I didn't receive any email notification that my post had went live, or that anyone had responded to it. Not a criticism, just letting you know, I'm sure that happens to lots of people.

That might explain it, it tends to be folk with a low post count. Thank you Richard for the what seems to be the most probable explanation, and I like the suggestion from maukka of a notification email when the post does go live :thumbsup:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad you replied to your own thread, Mike. I was worried you were going to leave it as an example.
This is something that really bugs me, I like Richard's explanation and it's a lot more charitable than mine. It works OK if you have the attention span of a goldfish, I guess.
Just a "Thank You" somewhere in the thread would be something, the lack of feedback from the Op is what has more or less stopped me from respomnding in the "Recommennd" threads - certainly for the ones posted by low postcounters.
P