Malkoff Bodyguard

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well Gene has done it again.

The body guard is another name by a stellar light making outfit that like many other products will be another standards setter.

Now with that said, in another thread I used the term "fake lumens". I want to clarify that Gene touted the front end as "the body guard" and that was that. No more, no less. We CPFr's took it from there based on a brief description on the product page. So I do not want to give the impression I am saying Gene is touting fake lumens. But I'd also like to say that folks who call the bodyguard head "a 900 lumen" engine are doing Mr. Malkoff a dis-service.

Now let the discussion(s) begin.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well I was going to edit my first post with some further input, but fake news.... ugh!!

The bodyguard. It seems that Gene has begun offering a new product for well prepared individuals who would likely use it for an added protection. Perhaps as a first defense at times.

It is an engine designed to run from 3 configurations of fuel source. Each touting it's own set of numbers that begin with a brief blast of a turbo-like output that quickly steps down to a still pretty potent output. "HALT.... IN THE NAME OF THE LAW" type of lighting tool.

Knowing Gene, the numbers cited are conservative so that even though certain various conditions each one does at least what was claimed.

The bodyguard will be akin to an Elzetta Alpha only that it will likely be largely misunderstood at first as a small niche will say "bravo, finally my perfect light" where others may say "what's the big deal".

I said before "I won't buy one"... but after mulling it around my brain for a day I can see one in my future.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you're dead set on the 1xCR123 format, I don't see what advantage this light has over the E2 Super. Perhaps it's about the tail cap? Still, you could run the E2 Super head on a SF E2e with a 16650 and have the exposed tail cap.

Perhaps one of the tactical operators among us will correct my oversight?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just repeating myself from the Malkoff Junkie thread.

The bodyguard was ordered by a department that had specific requirements for the light.

Gene built the light to meet their specific requirements and is also offering it to the public.

I'm guessing that it must have been a substantial order for Gene to go to the trouble of developing it for them.

This is what Gene said:

'They were looking for something small enough for carry in a suit breast pocket and bright enough for close range temporary blinding and identification. They also wanted it to come on in high every time (no exceptions). They knew that battery life and over heating would be an issue. I suggested the timing idea. It was decided that if implemented properly, this could be a novel solution.'

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Gene details the output he says this...

Summary of Output:

CR123 (3 volts) ------ 450 lumens Momentary, 375 lumens 10 sec., 150 lumens
IMR 16340 ------ 600 lumens Momentary, 550 lumens 10 sec., 150 lumens

Does momentary mean the millisecond when it is switched on then 10 seconds of the High output?
Also, no mention of LVP. Hopefully it's there, as Gene is recommending IMR and the runtime seems limited.

A new light from Malkoff is always an exciting prospect.
P

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The concept is very similar to the Haley Strategic D3FT Combat light, which is produced by Surefire.

IMG_8878-1000x1000.jpg

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Does momentary mean the millisecond when it is switched on then 10 seconds of the High output?
Also, no mention of LVP. Hopefully it's there, as Gene is recommending IMR and the runtime seems limited.

I'll have the Bodyguard (head only) in-hand later today so I will update then. I will be running it in a 2-CR123 MDC body with a KeepPower 16650 2500 mah protected cell, which has a maximum discharge rate of 2C, which easily covers the 3-amp minimum recommendation. I also have a 1-CR123 body I will try with an IMR 16340 700 mah cell.

My guess is there's no LVP since the head was most likely designed for use with primary cells (I doubt any LE agency would be setting up their officers with chargers and IMR cells).

In terms of turndown, I doubt I will be able to detect when it steps down from 600 lumens to 550, but most certainly when it drops to 150 lumens after 10 seconds. I'm no "tactical operator" but the programming makes perfect sense for self defense (or suspect apprehension) applications where the light is typically only used in short bursts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xdK4A8A9w

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The product page for the Body Guard "head only" says that battery voltage must be checked often to avoid damage to the cell. I take it this means the light does not have low voltage protection.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you're dead set on the 1xCR123 format, I don't see what advantage this light has over the E2 Super. Perhaps it's about the tail cap? Still, you could run the E2 Super head on a SF E2e with a 16650 and have the exposed tail cap.

Perhaps one of the tactical operators among us will correct my oversight?

I am not just not dead set on the 1x123 format but actually against it. 2x123 is not that much bigger but gives so many more options.

You can run 18650, or any other 65mm cell in any diameter like 16,17,18mm..

this device is for those who love 1x123 and there are plenty. It's super compact and you don't have to worry about multiple cells.

Still, IMO 2>1

and 3>2 for that matter.

and while on the subject, 4>3 if edc is not a priority

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened
Just repeating myself from the Malkoff Junkie thread.

The bodyguard was ordered by a department that had specific requirements for the light.

Gene built the light to meet their specific requirements and is also offering it to the public.

I'm guessing that it must have been a substantial order for Gene to go to the trouble of developing it for them.

This is what Gene said:

'They were looking for something small enough for carry in a suit breast pocket and bright enough for close range temporary blinding and identification. They also wanted it to come on in high every time (no exceptions). They knew that battery life and over heating would be an issue. I suggested the timing idea. It was decided that if implemented properly, this could be a novel solution.'

Exactly so. Clearly the agency knew what they wanted and the compromises they were willing to make in order for it to become a reality.

The size and features are obviously important to them and will factor into how they train with firearms and lights. Also, everyone in the unit will be familiar with the same piece of gear.

While many of us trained (and still train) with lights and there are some roughly "standardized" techniques, each agency will have its own set of needs and wants for particular tactical usage.

For me personally, my Malkoff enhanced Surefire 6z and E2e are more than adequate. I used them on the job and now in retirement.

Needs and requirements differ. I can't understand anyone's angst over a product that wasn't designed for their everyday use. Rather than trying to fit your needs to the specific light, purchase the specific light that fits your needs.

'Nuff said (by me) on this topic.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Needs and requirements differ. I can't understand anyone's angst over a product that wasn't designed for their everyday use. Rather than trying to fit your needs to the specific light, purchase the specific light that fits your needs.
I couldn't agree more.

The product page for the Body Guard "head only" says that battery voltage must be checked often to avoid damage to the cell. I take it this means the light does not have low voltage protection.
I expect the output will taper off as the voltage drops, in time honoured fashion. That's good enough for me to use IMR.

P

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Probably by design, don't need the light shutting down suddenly in a tactical situation. Just a guess.

Blues

Enlightened
Thanks, Peter. I knew I couldn't be the only one...and I was already pretty sure that Dave D. was of a like mind, coming from a similar background.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad the new body was not bored for 18mm battery, with added reducing (delrin) sleeve to run 123 primaries to accommodate department agencies convenience of battery usage

NH.. Looking forward to your evaluation!

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand the description of "This flashlight is a Tactical use only...."

Why? I can't use this to scan my yard at night or located landmarks while boating?

Perhaps another overuse of the Tactical term?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand the description of "This flashlight is a Tactical use only...."

Why? I can't use this to scan my yard at night or located landmarks while boating?

Perhaps another overuse of the Tactical term?
I know what you mean, but if you're scanning around your boat at 550Lm and ten seconds in it drops to 150Lm, it'll take a while for your eyes to adjust.
I really think this is a light that is designed for a purpose, dare I say "Tactical"?. A bit like a UV light, you really wouldn't want to use it to take out the trash.

I do like the new groovy body.
P

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad the new body was not bored for 18mm battery, with added reducing (delrin) sleeve to run 123 primaries to accommodate department agencies convenience of battery usage

NH.. Looking forward to your evaluation!

Mr. Tacticools don't run rechargeable 18mm cells. They are the reason primary 123s exist.

It's cheaper to discard the used primaries than worry about chargers recharging, cells, etc and then carrying all this stuff back to the base. Much different SOP than hobbist people on this site. Li-ion are better from almost every angle except when you are sponsored to buy whatever stuff you want at zero cost to you.

IOW, 123 primaries are consistent with the mission statement. And that is why they will continue to exist. and if I were in that mode, I would carry something with primaries in it.

The dimming is a really interesting feature though I kinda like bigger lights than this.