The Fenix-Store        
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GET-TOGETHER - FCW-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Default Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Anyone know if the roads in the campground are blacktop or gravel? Map does not state composition. Thanks

Default Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Not a good idea really.
    Awww shucks. Would make a great Kodiak moment!

Just kidding, of course. Hope people aren't taking me seriously. I'm aware of best practices, and wouldn't actually leave out a roast pork...lol.

To bolster your earlier point, Karl... I was very used to hiking around the Minnewaska/Tilson Lake area as a kid, sometimes by myself, and have always known about the local wildlife. Have done Catskills and Adirondacks camping (not in the car... haha), and have attended a weekend camping get-together (with families, kids, etc.) not far north of Hickory Run almost every August since 2000. In over 40+ years, the scariest thing I've ever come across was a slightly defensive snake that I accidentally surprised on a lone hike. I'll save one story that could've turned scary for around the campfire.

Anyway, we're good and safe... unless Tim sings, then everyone may need to run. Oh, and when the guitar comes out, Karl, will you join us for a rousing rendition of "The Bear Climbed Over The Mountain"?
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

LOL! Thanks John, I may have erred on the side of safety---just turned 67 yesterday and, looking forward to a few more years I guess. Never been accused of being a "stick in the mud" nor "party pooper" so, I do hope I didn't come off in that fashion with my post.

I see you and I may have quite a bit in common in addition to our never-ending flashlight addiction, "outdoors stuff"! Should we get the chance to talk some stories, that'd be great! We'll just have to see if time permits in view of all the anticipated enlightening activities!

I'm going for a drive a little later today to an area not far from the campsite where I hope we may have larger open-field demonstration opportunities for the illuminating agenda Aaaaaaaa!

Not to forget, while I'll not be bringing the now infamous pork ROAST, I've got (at least what I've been TOLD) a dy-no-mite pulled-PORK barbeque (there's that word again!) recipe which I'll bring along (the finished "product"--NOT the dang recipe!) and some rolls to boot, if all can bear (WHAT???!!) to try it! I just need a source of cooking heat to bring it up to temp. Anyone out there bringing a Commercial Viking or Wolf (WOLF???!!! Ya mean there's wolves in them thar hills as well!!!???) range up to the campsite? I've got a chef's hat to done... Seriously, I'm more than willing to bring the BBQ should there be the method of heating it up. I'll dare say we won't hear, "Where's the beef"....or was it pork......when they assemble their sandwiches!

See ya all then!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Anyone know if the roads in the campground are blacktop or gravel? Map does not state composition. Thanks
    Sandy, "roads" and MOST of the actual access driving paths are paved. I suspect the spot into which where you pull "Queen Mary"--your Sprint--will be "smooth sailing"so-to-speak. Will you be offering the "steerage class"--me, possibly others--complimentary champagne and caviar upon your arrival?

Karl

Maybe we should try the pine barrens also. Red, green, blue, and uv lights can be the theme for hunting the Jersey devils. Thereís fishing, a great fish market nearby, sand in which to get your 85 Camaro stuck in (donít know why my buddy drove that when he had a Ford Explorer), Bass river which is still flowing with iron deposits (good for the blood), and thereís an outcropping by a small damn in which we can shine the throwers in at night. I havenít been there since they dug up Sidney Resoís body there, & I doubt the kidnapper will return since one of them was just paroled.

Did I mention thereís a great fish market nearby?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Gimme a map---QUICK!!!

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 07-23-2018 at 06:43 AM. Reason: used my head

Karl - Don't have a Wolf stove, but I'll howl for pulled pork! AaaOOOOOOOO!!!

I checked the official park website, and camp stoves are allowed. I have a fan driven, wood pellet camp stove made of coffee and soup cans that burns clean and hot, and should make quick work of any size pot o' grub. Also have an idea for a strong, adjustable height pot/pan stand wide enough to accommodate 14" diameter cookware. Will do some backyard testing, and report back.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

"Karl - Don't have a Wolf stove, but I'll howl for pulled pork! AaaOOOOOOOO!!!"

Aw geez, I'd hoped you could "buy" one out the back of an 18-wheeler down in the City and haul it up to the park... no matter...

Keep us all posted! Last time I brought a batch there was a "gang" down at Data's and he had a circular cast metal grill suspended from a 1" , 3' metal post driven into the ground. We were able to suspend the aluminum roasting pan at various heights and at variable distances into the open wood fire and, while it took a bit, it came up to temp for some chowing down.

Karl

Everybody gone to sleep already?

Karl

Resting up for FCW!
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Flashaholic*

I've been putting together a bunch of lights for sale or trade. I'm still working on downsizing my massive flashlight collection, and plan to bring in excess of 200 lights to hopefully go home with new happy owners.
    I must have been left in the dark as a child!

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer31 View Post
    I've been putting together a bunch of lights for sale or trade. I'm still working on downsizing my massive flashlight collection, and plan to bring in excess of 200 lights to hopefully go home with new happy owners.
    Iím going to have to bring my own table I guess
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Karl - I gave the stand a proof-of-concept test a couple days ago. Barely (or should I say bearly?! ) driven into the ground, and using a thin, warped grate from a super cheap charcoal grill I use as a firepit, it easily held up to me pressing down on it with a good 25 lbs. or more of body weight. Even so, I'm about to purchase a heavier duty grate, and am revising the suspension method to something way stronger. It should hold so much weight, you could save yourself the trouble of making pulled pork and just throw a whole pig on there (the infamous roast pork rears its head once again... lol). When the final version is ready, I'll post a vid of the whole system boiling a big pot of water.

BTW... do you have a particular day in mind for this? Reason for asking is I can bring a batch of chili to offer on a different day. We'll be eatin' good in the woods.
    Last edited by Bimmerboy; 08-01-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Roast pig a thought but, does require a bit of patience and LOTS of watchin' That a better idea on the homefront with lots of control.

Day....I dunno......might depend on your cooling facilities and ability to keep chilli.....I'm pretty flexible...Somebody better think of Pepto Bismol and Prep H with all this eatin' though!!

Karl

sounds like fun, problem is it's on the Jewish High Holy day. might be able to come Fri.- Sunday afternoon? if we do we may just sleep in the car as usual.
    go Yankees!

Did I miss the latest count?

Karl

The Count said he'll be there, and "vants" to fly to boulder field.

Well "Count" what's the latest count?

Karl

Flashaholic*

Hi guys - sorry I haven't been posting too much, I've been pretty busy with work. In fact I'm away all week in Las Vegas for a business meeting. As far as the latest count goes, I have a running count in Post Number 3 of this thread. I'm sure as we draw closer to the events, activity in the thread will increase.

Got it! Just wondered if it was being updated.

Karl

Bimmerboy: I'll bring a one man tent and mini inflatable mattress for you. Bring a sleeping bag or a blanket. Unless you've done it before- sleeping in a car is really uncomfortable!! Bill
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Bill - Thank you very much for the offer! Very nice of you, and I really appreciate it. Won't be necessary as I've slept/camped in the car many times over the years. You're right though, it's not the most comfortable, especially with my seats. No matter though, I'm used to it. After all this time of dealing with it, I'm finally gonna' try a neck pillow since neck support has always been the problem. Thanks again.

John
    Last edited by Bimmerboy; 08-22-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Been meaning to ask about a subject brought up early in the thread. What to do for number two.

From the map it looks like we'll be fairly close to a bathroom/shower facility, but hard to tell how well it's maintained. Mixed reviews online. Anyone bringing porta-potties just in case? If so, is there a place for bagged disposal? Figured I'd ask here before calling the park for info. Ag is bringing a shovel... lol.

Thinking about a backup plan for possible necessity, or even just added convenience.

The "facilities" are well-maintained and, within very short walking distance John.

Karl

Thanks, Karl. Good to know. BTW, did a test today on the cooking rig and took some video. It worked as well as I had hoped, and am definitely going to enjoy using it.

BTW, the only reason the pan got black underneath is due to my error. While adding more pellets, I went a bit overboard and it put the flame out. It was pretty smoky for a minute until the secondary ignition started working again, then it was back to totally clean burning. Wish I got video of that! Anyway, here's the experiment in action.

This is lookin' goooood John! How big is that pan?

Karl

Flashaholic*

Hi Everyone - sorry I haven't been very talkative recently. I've just been super busy with work. Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to getting out there and relaxing with everyone!

I heard from Dorcy and Life+Gear, and they have some "goodies" coming our way!

I'm looking to "thin out" my massive flashlight collection, and will be bringing in excess of 200 lights for sale or trade. I'm bringing a mix of classic / vintage lights as well as many newer lights. No reasonable offers will be refused, and I really want to give these lights a new home, so that I can get some more!

My current most powerful light is 4,300 lumens, and I'm looking for something to top that. I would like to get or at least see an Imalent DT70 - so if anyone has one, please bring it so I can check it out.

--Tim

Tim, do we check in, or just drive down to the sites? After 12 ok on Saturday?

Bill
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse one View Post
    Tim, do we check in, or just drive down to the sites? After 12 ok on Saturday?

Bill
    Hi Bill, this is a great question. Thank you for bringing it up.

EVERYONE: Please just drive straight to the spots. Since I have reserved all of the spots in my name, and I have already paid for them in full, there is no need for you to stop at the guard shack. Just drive directly to the spots when you arrive.

--Tim

Karl - Glad you like it! I was pretty psyched myself. That pan was 12.5" by 10.5". Sorry for the delay in responding, but was holding off until trying a bigger pan, which I finally did this afternoon. It actually fit a big 'ol honkin' 21" by 13" with a few inches to spare on the width (could go up to 15 or 16"). Also sorted out a fan controller with a backlit display showing the RPM's. Looking to win the "coolest camp stove award".

BTW, if anyone wants to griddle stuff on it, I'm bringing a griddle, so bring your bacon, eggs, and pancake mix!

Tim - From reading through past threads, it seems some wood processing tools might come in handy, so I'll have a mini-maul/splitter, and a limb saw with kinda' worn out teeth, but still functional.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast