Angryfox        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GET-TOGETHER - FCW-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Default Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

John, the aluminum pan thick enough material so it won't burn through with the heat?

Karl

Default Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Karl - Good question, and was one of the reasons for testing. Wanted to make sure it won't go "China Syndrome" on us, and act like a thermite/pulled pork welder.

The material thickness seems to have no bearing. As long as there's something to transfer heat to, like water or food, it won't burn through. I used a thin, flimsy pan that was buckling when trying to lift it full of water, and it remained unaffected by the heat. For food, we can now turn the fan down as well as raise the grill. We're good to go!
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

OK John. Now, just as an aside, and still with the pan, acidic foods such as this BBQ, tomato sauce, etc, will and do "burn' through aluminum due to rapid corrosion. I am an experienced cook for years now and I have had incidents where the acid in sauces I've made, create visible holes in aluminum foil if covered by it. I don't think this would happen as rapidly on an aluminum pan but, the heat will hasten the chemical interaction.

Karl

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    Tim - From reading through past threads, it seems some wood processing tools might come in handy, so I'll have a mini-maul/splitter, and a limb saw with kinda' worn out teeth, but still functional.
    Hi, Yes, and thank you. That would be great!
    I must have been left in the dark as a child!

Flashaholic*

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting excited!! We are less than a week away from FCW-14 / FSM-2! Although it's going to be rather warm out where I live again today, the weather forecast is showing that it should be in the mid 60's to low 70's as a high and upper 50's to low 60's for a low, while we are there - which sounds like great camping weather! And only a slight chance of rain or a passing shower.

In addition to bringing more than 200 flashlights for sale / trade. I'm also bringing a bunch of camping equipment for sale / trade.

Don't forget to spread the word, and remind your fellow CPF's or fellow Flashaholics that FSM-2 (Flashaholics Swap Meet and Gathering) is taking place on Saturday!

--Tim

Current numbers?

Karl

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Current numbers?

Karl
    25-30 attending
    about 15 overnight
    200-300 lights for sale/trade
    50+ camping items for sale/trade
    0% visible moon Monday night (super dark there!)
    65 average day temp
    58 average low temp
    30,000 + lumen flashlight... I want to see one there
    1 million + total lumens likely to be there
    2 hotdogs likely to accidentally end up in the fire
    100% chance of fun

100% chance at least one seasoned Flashaholic blinds themselves by switching on a light when looking into the business end...
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer31 View Post
    25-30 attending
    about 15 overnight
    200-300 lights for sale/trade
    50+ camping items for sale/trade
    0% visible moon Monday night (super dark there!)
    65 average day temp
    58 average low temp
    30,000 + lumen flashlight... I want to see one there
    1 million + total lumens likely to be there
    2 hotdogs likely to accidentally end up in the fire
    100% chance of fun

Sure Tim, shoe size, temps, hot dogs....how's about will there be a Doctor in the "house"????

Karl

This is like a Christmas gift in September! I look forward to these trips every year.....thanks ahead of time Tim!

Bill W
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    100% chance at least one seasoned Flashaholic blinds themselves by switching on a light when looking into the business end...
    Hey, wadaya mean "seasoned"??? there's no drinking allowed!!

Karl

"Mature" flashaholic...

We booked site 36 for Friday...Any early arrivals, other than Kathy and I?

I believe Stan and Tim will be there on Friday. My son works late on Friday so we will be up Saturday morning before lunch, I suspect. Canít wait to see everyone.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!

I'm excited as well! Very much looking forward to this, and getting a chance to relax a bit, having fun, seeing some friends from past events, and meeting some new ones.

That said, I need a couple more weeks to fully prepare!... lol. I haven't had time to make a PAR46 JimmyM thrower, and a few other things. Not even sure I'll get a chance to wash the car, so I may be showing up in a dirty bimmer. Will also be scrambling to get everything together the next couple days. Also need to practice up on making a ridgeline for a tarp. However, once out there, I expect most of those worries to go away, especially if someone knows how to tie a good ridgeline... lol. In the meantime, there's mad battery chargin' going on, and trying to decide on two or three lights to sell.

The chili con carne (meaning "with meat") will be made late Friday so it can go in the fridge overnight. It won't be a ton, so bring hot dogs to help stretch it out... haha. Mmmmm... chili dogs. I will have some disposable bowls and spoons though for those who like their chili straight up. Will also have a couple loaves of some very nice Italian bread for us.

Note to all: Thought I had a griddle, but can't find it. But we can definitely still use my stove for eggs, bacon, etc. if you bring the frying pan and butter. Faster, cleaner, and easier than the park grills, and I'll keep it going while you cook. I'll have plenty of wood pellets.

Karl - We'll be absolutely fine regarding acidic food in an aluminum pan. Any reaction will be so minimal as to require a lab to measure it. No holes. I know exactly what you mean about small holes in foil covering sauces though. What will the pulled pork be in? Oh, and will it be prepared at home, and just need heating up at camp?
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse one View Post
    This is like a Christmas gift in September! I look forward to these trips every year.....thanks ahead of time Tim!

Bill W
    Hi Bill, Your welcome, my pleasure. It's always nice to get together with everyone.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    I'm excited as well! Very much looking forward to this, and getting a chance to relax a bit, having fun, seeing some friends from past events, and meeting some new ones.

That said, I need a couple more weeks to fully prepare!... lol. I haven't had time to make a PAR46 JimmyM thrower, and a few other things. Not even sure I'll get a chance to wash the car, so I may be showing up in a dirty bimmer. Will also be scrambling to get everything together the next couple days. Also need to practice up on making a ridgeline for a tarp. However, once out there, I expect most of those worries to go away, especially if someone knows how to tie a good ridgeline... lol. In the meantime, there's mad battery chargin' going on, and trying to decide on two or three lights to sell.

The chili con carne (meaning "with meat") will be made late Friday so it can go in the fridge overnight. It won't be a ton, so bring hot dogs to help stretch it out... haha. Mmmmm... chili dogs. I will have some disposable bowls and spoons though for those who like their chili straight up. Will also have a couple loaves of some very nice Italian bread for us.

Note to all: Thought I had a griddle, but can't find it. But we can definitely still use my stove for eggs, bacon, etc. if you bring the frying pan and butter. Faster, cleaner, and easier than the park grills, and I'll keep it going while you cook. I'll have plenty of wood pellets.

Karl - We'll be absolutely fine regarding acidic food in an aluminum pan. Any reaction will be so minimal as to require a lab to measure it. No holes. I know exactly what you mean about small holes in foil covering sauces though. What will the pulled pork be in? Oh, and will it be prepared at home, and just need heating up at camp?
    Hi, and thanks for bringing the chilli - sounds good! See you soon! --Tim

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Yep - Stan and a few people he knows from his camping group (one of which some of us met at the last FCW/FSM), will be there on Friday night. And I will also be coming up on Friday night. I see that you booked site 36, which is a nice site too, and not far from the sites I reserved for the FCW/FSM.

Here is some information I had posted earlier in this thread for anyone who wanted to come up early on Friday:

Hi Everyone -

Since several people had previously asked (due to work schedules) if we can make the "long weekend side" after the weekend, instead of before, I decided to set it up that way this trip, and with the site availability and the timing of the new moon, that worked out nicely this year.

However if anyone wants to come up on Friday night, that is fine too!

The sites I have for us are 6-11, which is it's own semi-secluded area. "Technically" this area can hold 30 people over nite (by the campground rules). I figure we can comfortably have about 12-15 tents (depending on size) and a few hammocks.

I have already booked and paid for all 6 sites - sites 6-11. Arrival is Saturday September 8th, and check out is Tuesday September 11th. The cost for those six sites for those three nights is exactly $402.00. I would like to split up this cost between any overnight guests. (Day guests - I never actually ask for any money, but a few bucks to help us offset the cost of renting the sites is always greatly appreciated.)

Additionally, I decided to reserve site 11 for myself for Friday night. I will be coming up after work on Friday. I figured most people wouldn't be able to, or want to come up Friday night and stay until Tuesday, and so I separated the Friday night site 11 reservation, and absorbed 100% of that cost myself.

Anyone who would like to, is welcome to come up on Friday night as well. Stan and his crew are coming up on Friday night, and Stan too went ahead and reserved sites 6 & 7 himself. You are all welcome to reserve any of the remaining sites (8, 9, 10) for Friday night too. Just go onto the Hickory Run website, and book them yourself. For any Friday night guests, please keep in mind, when you choose your tent location, that others will be coming up on Saturday to join us for the remaining overnights, so please position your tent in such a way that it helps to maximize space on every site, so that we can all fit comfortably across the 6 sites.

--Tim

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I believe Stan and Tim will be there on Friday. My son works late on Friday so we will be up Saturday morning before lunch, I suspect. Canít wait to see everyone.
    Looking forward to seeing you then. And thanks for bringing that tarp and stuff. --Tim

I have a propane griddle that I can bring. I usually donít because everyone else has so much going, my stuff goes unused. So, Bimmerboy...or anyone....should I bring my Blackstone griddle? Itís 15 by 18.
    Bill
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Yes. I'm not sure what method will work but, I JUST dry-rubbed three "Boston Butt" (Pork shoulders for you hamburger fans) and have them in the refrigerator for overnight "marinating". I'm not sure what that will be when I de-bone them and take off the fat and do the final preparation post roasting but, there will be a good 15+ pounds of BBQ to heat. Whatever cookin' stuff ya got that'll work on Bimmerboy's fire, bring. I'm bringing four dozen big fresh-baked rolls as well. Somebody should take the line and round up some decent picnic plates---and NOT the junk that'll land a big BBQ sandwich in their laps! Yikes! I'll be there with the goodies by noon on Saturday but, I may bother you on Friday (tomorrow!) night as well so, if you see me coming...RUN!!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    My wife and daughter (Ginger and Corey) and I will be coming up Friday late.....staying in site 211. Oh yea, the wifes puppy is tagging along also.

On another note: Wife is offering up a " Homemade French Onion Soup with MAC and CHEESE lunch/dinner for anyone interested. Could be Sat or Sunday, ....not sure if I can get the RV to the tent sites ..........

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Tim - Re: wood tools and chili, you're quite welcome, and my pleasure.

Karl - Holy mother of all things edible! 15 pounds?! Nice! I may just need to bring one more container of pellets than planned... lol. Either pans, or a big 'ol pot will work. I'll be ready! Looking to be up there by around 7 PM, but the cooking rig is very fast to set up. Wasn't able to completely get out of work Saturday, but was able to arrange getting out early.

Bill - Good question. A propane griddle sounds awesome, but tough call. Hopefully we'll get some people with breakfast food (or whatever) chiming in as I'd love to see that thing in action.

Sled - I'm drooling already. Plus there's gonna' be a puppy (not to eat of course. )!

Combined with cool weather (finally!), this whole thing is just getting too cool for school. Can hardly wait to get out there.

I am bringing by 3-burner propane stove with griddle to cook a pound of bacon or 8 pancakes at a time. Also a single burner stove and good fry pan for scrambled eggs.

We can purchase wood at the office you can bring certified bug-free store-bought wood or buy from a local seller.

I have a grate to put on top of the fireplace/ring for cooking on.
    Last edited by Stan671; 09-07-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    Stan Dobrowski

Stan- Does anyone check wood if you're bringing it in?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse one View Post
    I have a propane griddle that I can bring. I usually donít because everyone else has so much going, my stuff goes unused. So, Bimmerboy...or anyone....should I bring my Blackstone griddle? Itís 15 by 18.
    Bill
    Sounds useful Bill, yes, please bring it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Yes. I'm not sure what method will work but, I JUST dry-rubbed three "Boston Butt" (Pork shoulders for you hamburger fans) and have them in the refrigerator for overnight "marinating". I'm not sure what that will be when I de-bone them and take off the fat and do the final preparation post roasting but, there will be a good 15+ pounds of BBQ to heat. Whatever cookin' stuff ya got that'll work on Bimmerboy's fire, bring. I'm bringing four dozen big fresh-baked rolls as well. Somebody should take the line and round up some decent picnic plates---and NOT the junk that'll land a big BBQ sandwich in their laps! Yikes! I'll be there with the goodies by noon on Saturday but, I may bother you on Friday (tomorrow!) night as well so, if you see me coming...RUN!!

Karl
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for bringing it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    My wife and daughter (Ginger and Corey) and I will be coming up Friday late.....staying in site 211. Oh yea, the wifes puppy is tagging along also.

On another note: Wife is offering up a " Homemade French Onion Soup with MAC and CHEESE lunch/dinner for anyone interested. Could be Sat or Sunday, ....not sure if I can get the RV to the tent sites ..........

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    Hi Sandy,

Looking forward to seeing you and your crew again. Thanks in advance for the food, sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Stan- Does anyone check wood if you're bringing it in?
    No, they don't physically inspect for alien wood, but I think they ask. But the rules against wood sources outside the area are good to keep out bug infestations so I would like all of us to respect them.

Certified bug-free wood from outside it ok.
    Stan Dobrowski

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Stan671 View Post
    I am bringing by 3-burner propane stove with griddle to cook a pound of bacon or 8 pancakes at a time. Also a single burner stove and good fry pan for scrambled eggs.

We can purchase wood at the office you can bring certified bug-free store-bought wood or buy from a local seller.

I have a grate to put on top of the fireplace/ring for cooking on.
    Stan, Only a pound of bacon at a time... that sounds like enough for me, but what will everyone else eat? LOL

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast