GET-TOGETHER - FCW-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party: :wave:

Several people have been asking about when is the next get together? And so here it is... :thumbsup:

FCW = Flashaholics Camping Weekend. 9-8-18 to 9-11-18 at Hickory Run State Park! During a New Moon!

FSM = Flashaholics Swap Meet. -9-8-18+ Come to BUY, come to SELL, come to TRADE, come to CHECK OUT OTHER LIGHTS, come to SHOW OFF YOUR LIGHTS, come to JUST HANG OUT WITH FELLOW FLASHLIGHT ENTHUSIASTS!

Time for another Flashaholics get together!!!

With this being the 14th FCW, we have already tried several great camping locations. At the end of FCW-13 future locations were discussed, and Hickory Run State Park in PA got the most votes, and so that is where we are going this year!

No matter what location I pick it will be a long ride for someone to get to (this one happens to be roughly 2 hours from my home). So I'm focusing less on the GPS location of were we are going, and more so on what the location has to offer us. I take many factors into consideration, but some that stand out are: The location needs to be somewhat set away from others - because we want to have our own area away from other people with screaming kids and people that think the wilderness is a good place to crank up their stereo and blast us with whatever kind of music they think we should all be listening to. LOL And of course we need our own area because others may not appreciate why we are lighting up the night sky with our lights.
C:\Users\TorcUP\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Hickory Run offers flush toilets and even showers if any one wants them, and it even has a small general store. So with all that and several other factors taken into consideration I believe Hickory Run will be a great location for us this year. Here is a link to the website: http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/HickoryRunStatePark/Pages/default.aspx

When: Well this is always another tough one. No matter what date I pick it will not be good for someone! So the best I can do is base that choice on campground availability and the historic weather averages for that area. In the past I've reached out to several of you to see what dates work best, and of course no matter what the date is it will be good for some and not for others, and that puts me in an awkward spot. So this year I just picked the date based on site availability, weather, and the new moon.

I have already booked and paid for all 6 sites - sites 6-11. Arrival is Saturday September 8th, and check out is Tuesday September 11th. In the past we checked in on Thursday or Friday nights, but several people have asked (due to work schedules) if we can make the "long weekend side" after the weekend, instead of before. With the site availability and the timing of the new moon, that worked out nicely this year.

The historic temps for that area show mid to low 70's during the day and low 50's at night. Which should be great camping weather. The new moon falls on Monday the 10th, so it should be nice and dark there!

The sites I have for us are 6-11, which is it's own semi-secluded area. "Technically" this area can hold 30 people over nite (by the campground rules). I figure we can comfortably have about 12-15 tents (depending on size) and a few hammocks.

It always amazes me that the FCW events don't draw as many people as the "in-a-house" get togethers. It just seems like a natural to me that flashlight lovers would be looking for the perfect excuse to use there lights...camping. Anyway, even if you don't want to stay overnight in a tent, you can join the get together for the day/evening etc. And if they are available, Hickory Run State Park offers several camping cabins with heat and electric. I did not reserve any of these, and I'm sure they will be reserved way in advance, so if you want one, reserve it asap. The cabins are a short distance away from our tent area - a short drive or long walk - perhaps 2 miles?

I'll try to reach out to the usual "regulars" that have participated in previous FCWs, PFs, and FSMs - but PLEASE HELP OUT AND SPREAD THE WORD about FCW-14 / FSM-2. These get together threads seem to be missed quite often. Anyone who isn't a jerk is welcome to come. :)

Cost: I paid exactly $402.00 for all of the sites.
Over nite guests - we can just split up the cost between us, based on the number of people that stay over nite.
Day guests - I never actually ask for any money, but a few bucks to help us offset the cost of renting the sites is always greatly appreciated.

As for the FSM-2 part of the event. FSM-2 is actually part of the whole event time frame, however the official FSM-2 Swap Meet will take place on Saturday the 8th. Beginning at 1pm. So anyone who is coming up specifically just for the Swap Meet, can plan on a 1pm start -and it ends whenever, after dark. You are welcome to bring whatever you want to sell or trade. Please bring your own folding table (and chair) if you have several things to display. And of course, bring some money with you to get some great deals on anything everyone else is selling!

Come and meet other Flashaholics, show off your lights, check out lights others have brought with them to show or sell.

If you are planning on attending please let me know by posting here in this thread. I've reserved extra space at our FCW camping location for FSM.

THINGS TO BRING: Your lights to sell / money to buy lights from others / a chair / a table if you need one to display your lights / something to eat or drink if you want.

Come to BUY, come to SELL, come to TRADE, come to CHECK OUT OTHER LIGHTS, come to SHOW OFF YOUR LIGHTS, come to JUST HANG OUT WITH FELLOW FLASHLIGHT ENTHUSIASTS!

FCW-14 / FSM-2 should be a great event at Hickory Run State Park for 2018!

In the past Dorcy has always provided door prizes, giveaways, and lights for review. I will reach out to them again this year to see if they can send some stuff our way.

I will start an attendees list below. I hope to see you all there! --Tim (KartRacer31) :wave:

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

This post is saved for future updates.

UPDATE:
I spoke with Dorcy and Life Gear, and they are both in as sponsors for our FCW-14 / FSM2 event! I expect we will get some great door prizes to give away as well as lights available for review, and perhaps some pre-production lights and gear to check out! Thanks Dorcy and Life Gear!

UPDATE: Don't forget to bring lights, knives, camping gear, or other cool gadgets and items of interest you are looking to sell or trade... and of course some extra cash or access to paypal for picking up stuff others will be bringing to sell or trade!

UPDATE: If anyone wants to come up on Friday night, please see post #44 for further info.

UPDATE:
Please just drive straight to the spots. Since I have reserved all of the spots in my name, and I have already paid for them in full, there is no need for you to stop at the guard shack. Just drive directly to the spots when you arrive.

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

ATTENDEE LIST:

FCW-14 & FMS-2
KartRacer31
scout24
Rodger Sully
karlthev
dizzy
Lighthouse one
againthelaw
TranquilityBase
Stan671 + 4
Bimmerboy
sledhead

Maybe:
Poppy
senecaripple

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the invite, Tim. But I'm not going to be able to attend. It's a bit too long a haul for me. A little over 5 hours. That means 6+ hours towing a trailer. Sorry. Have a great time though. I wish I could be there.

scout24

Flashaholic

Myself and Mrs. Scout will be there. Thanks for arranging this!

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in! Can't confirm the days just yet but I will be there at some point that weekend for sure!

Poppy

Flashaholic

I'd like to come, but it is too early for me to commit.

At any rate, it would only be Saturday into Sunday for me though.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ill be there!

Karl

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If Karl is going to be there.......awe hell, I'll go anyways. ;)

My son say's he will probably go, too. He doesn't know who Karl is. :)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

If Karl is going to be there.......awe hell, I'll go anyways. ;)

My son say's he will probably go, too. He doesn't know who Karl is. :)

My GOD but what an eye-opener it will be!! I'm quite sure BOTH of you will be well beyond fascinated!! You may not recognize me...some things have grown--my weight and beard....some things have "receded"...my hairline and.... Nevermind.:devil:

Good to "see" you "back home"...so to speak! Is Dave coming...I rarely speak with anyone anymore it seems....wonder why....?:confused:

Karl

Last edited:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

My GOD but what an eye-opener it will be!! I'm quite sure BOTH of you will be well beyond fascinated!! You may not recognize me...some things have grown--my weight and beard....some things have "receded"...my hairline and.... Nevermind.:devil:

Good to "see" you "back home"...so to speak! Is Dave coming...I rarely speak with anyone anymore it seems....wonder why....?:confused:

Karl

I haven't talked to Dave, yet. I was going to give him a few days to find this himself. I hope everything works out and we can all get together for this. I'll use the process of elimination, if you have changed too much. :thinking:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Hickory Run offers flush toilets......".....:rolleyes:

Karl

scout24

Flashaholic

Ain't nothin' wrong with a little modern plumbing. Use it whenever I get the chance. After a porta-potty for the last 4 1/2 months, flush sounds pretty good... :twothumbs:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't talked to Dave, yet. I was going to give him a few days to find this himself. I hope everything works out and we can all get together for this. I'll use the process of elimination, if you have changed too much. :thinking:

Nah, SOS...head shiny on top, fuzzy on bottom....:santa:

Karl

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll be there. i might have to spend the night this time. The little one is coming with me, Though he's not so little anymore...he's taller than his mother and older brother, and almost as svelte as me. i'm going to have to bring a cooler, my iron frying pan, my glock entrenching tool (who needs flush toilets). i have stuff for sale already listed and if you buy at the swap meet, there'll be a substantial discount. i will also barter for bacon

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geez! If Karl and Dizzy are in...the wife and I must "road trip" to PA!

We're in!:twothumbs

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geez! If Karl and Dizzy are in...the wife and I must "road trip" to PA!

We're in!:twothumbs

Call the Fire Department! Call the police!! Call my psychiatrist!!!! Aaaaaaaaa!!!!!!:twothumbs

Karl :D

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Myself and Mrs. Scout will be there. Thanks for arranging this![/QUOTE

Hi Scout24 - I'm glad you and the Mrs. can make it, looking forward to seeing you again. Are you guys camping over nite?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in! Can't confirm the days just yet but I will be there at some point that weekend for sure!

Great Rodger, glad you can make it. Perhaps an over nite this time? Bring a bunch of stuff for the Swap Meet again... you know I'm always good for buying something... or lots of somethings! lol