26650 batteries

garage_logician

Newly Enlightened
It seems that the 26650 batteries are available with or without a button top. I am not sure which I need, or which would be more useful. I have been looking at EBL (buttonless, best deal) or the Odec (button tops). Would one be better than the other? FWIW, I am going to be using them in a Haikelite SC26 XHP35 light.[h=1][/h]Thanks!
-g

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check flashlight recomendation first. If you plan to use them in series than button top is better but only if size of the host allows. Usually flashlight specs mention it. Otherwise there are no difference, personally if they're from the same manufacturer.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design of the battery contacts inside the flashlight is important to consider when choosing the appropriate battery. Hopefully someone will come in here to provide good information.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you see the words 'physical reverse polarity protection' in the description of a light, it is pretty much guaranteed that you will need button top cells for it. As an example, almost all Nitecore lights that use Li-Ion cells; have a raised ring around the positive contact whose sole purpose is to keep the flat end of a reversed cell from making contact. Since that has the same effect on a flat top cell, a button cell is required. One way to get around that is to find a small magnet and let it fasten itself to the center of the flat top. For added security so that it doesn't slide and possibly short out the cell if a physical shock is applied to the light (dropping,etc.) I found some cell top insulators that are designed to be used if one is rewrapping a cell. They are similar to the hole reinforcers one can use to repair torn holes in notebook paper, except these were a little thicker. They serve to keep the magnet centered on the top of the cell.

Others will tell you that you can put a blob of solder on top, but it that is not done properly too much heat can be applied and that can damage the cell. Ninety nine point nine of the time button top cells can be used in any flashlight, so if you are not sure I would say get the button top version.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
One downside to button tops is that they can add resistance to the cell. I have some (unprotected) button-top 30Q's, and I unwrapped one to expose the regular flat-top cell underneath. After removing the spot-welded button-top and grinding off the burrs, the resistance of the cell went down considerably. (Measured inaccurately with a charger, but it gives a good relative indication of the internal resistance between different kinds of cells.)

To be fair, the 30Q button-tops aren't very well made. They just have a single spot-welded contact to a metal strip that then connects to a button. It could have been connected better, which would have resulted in lower resistance. A solder-blob is one way of adding almost no resistance to the cell.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a response from Banggood (seller of the light) _

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. About the item you concerned, it is flat top and without protector.
If you have any other further inquiries, please contact us without hesitation."

So, would these be the correct batteries:

https://www.orbtronic.com/26650-battery-5750mah-30a-high-drain-imr-li-ion-flat-top

Thanks so much for all the assistance!
-g

So far one of the best batteries on the market at this moment...