Free Windows security update CD

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this was already brought up. Anyhow, Microsoft is offering (free, no charge, not even shipping) a security update cd for Win98, 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000 and XP. It has all the updates through October 2003. It's a nice "get" for those on dialup as some of those updates are pretty big. Here is the link ...... Free Microsoft security update cd

Mike

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thank you for the information.
I ordered the CD and should receive it in 2-4 weeks.

I have most of the updates, but some of them are rather large, and my dial-up connection would not stay connected for a download that large.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. I don't use Windows (my wife does, I use a Linux distro) and we have DSL. But I remember the days of using dialup and Windows. It's probably the biggest reason people don't get updates because of the size of some of those updates. It can take hours and hours with no guarantee of even getting them successfully. If you ever have to format your hard drive and re-install Windows ...... well, it can be a one or two day adventure over dialup.

Mike

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. I have been having problems downloading on a dialup, this should fix that problem.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Mike. I went and ordered it. It sure looks like they are serious about getting the security fixes out to people. That is good.

What surprised me, was that I had no problems on that site, considering it is Microsoft, and I am using Linux.