ArmyTek        

Thread: Opinions and long term impression of Nitecore Tube

Default Opinions and long term impression of Nitecore Tube

Hello all,
    Visiting my folks and see that my Dad is getting LOADS of use out of the Victorinox Rambler that I got for him as a Christmas gift a few years back. He's mentioned a few times how useful it is, and I got to thinking that a small keychain light might be of use to him as well. Now my first thought was, of course, I'll get him an E01, and that may still happen, but I think something even lighter that he can recharge off his computer and not worry about a battery might be better. I wanted to see how users have enjoyed their Nitecore Tubes. I think the simple Tube might be better than the Tip or Tini but welcome to share opinions on those lights as well. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Opinions and long term impression of Nitecore Tube

I really like the Tube form and UI but they have not been reliable for me. I think 2 of 3 have died. Fortunately theyíre cheap but I still donít want them dying when I want to use it. Thatís too bad since otherwise I really like their tiny size, ramping brightness, and decent output.

In that form factor, I have found better reliability and more features from my MecArmy SGN3 (although at higher initial cost)
    ... is the archimedes peak

The three Tubes that I have purchased were OK. One person (70 something year old) I gave it to, forgot that it was rechargeable. Another went to Costa Rica for a few weeks with my wife's daughter. It came back, rarely used. A clear Tube sits in the battery box; a premature retirement when the Nitecore TIP arrived on the scene. Also have a UV Tube still functioning, the few times it has been used. Sounds like a plan to give one to your Dad. You might check in with him occasionally on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I really like the Tube form and UI but they have not been reliable for me. I think 2 of 3 have died. Fortunately theyíre cheap but I still donít want them dying when I want to use it. Thatís too bad since otherwise I really like their tiny size, ramping brightness, and decent output.
    +1 to this. Great UI and form factor but not so great reliability.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

I got several of the first shipment of Tubes. So far I have not had any problems with them. I have given several as gifts and have not heard any complaints. I like the ability to ramp to whatever illumination level I desire.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

I use my tube a lot and only the charge protection rubber got lost, otherwise ideal for hammock. I would buy a nee one if this one broke.

Hmmm. I have a hard time buying stuff that has a poor track record when it comes to crapping out. Sounds like theyíre hit or miss quality wise but nice in use. For 8 bucks I may get him one and see how long it lasts. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Try one - you may love it. Like I said, I really like them, but they are not as hardy as an E01 for example.

If you try it out, always nice to hear any feedback and your thoughts on it.

Flashaholic

PWM flicker is strong at low levels... if you are sensitive to it. Low is a little too low for such a floody light.

Mine has been reasonable reliable with light use, but the switch is getting soft. I prefer AAA format.. lumitop worm is good value edc.

The ONLY light Iíve found thatís as hardy as an E01....is another E01. Just saw Fenix has a similar light the UC01. Watched a Vinh video and he said itís basically a Tube with higher build quality. Anyone have one of those?QUOTE=nbp;5223206]Try one - you may love it. Like I said, I really like them, but they are not as hardy as an E01 for example.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by gurdygurds; 07-09-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Vic Rambler deserves a Peak Eiger, just my opinion...

I can never give up my Tubes, I absolutely love them.

No, they're not the only light I have on lanyards, and none of the many I've given as gifts have failed except two (one was because a friend left it plugged in all night and I don't know about the other one, each of which I readily replaced.)

I'd start your dad on the Transparent Tube (seems to be brighter, and on a lanyard so he can use the low setting if he has to use the restroom in the middle of the night) and then when the Holidays come, give him a Tip in his favorite color.

Oh, did I tell you how much I love the Tube?

:-)

- LetThereBeLight!

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Vic Rambler deserves a Peak Eiger, just my opinion...

OK, so it sounds like you really love your Tubes correct? Can you give me a few more details as to why? Oh and they DO NOT come with a micro USB cord to charge correct??
    Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight! View Post
    I can never give up my Tubes, I absolutely love them.

No, they're not the only light I have on lanyards, and none of the many I've given as gifts have failed except two (one was because a friend left it plugged in all night and I don't know about the other one, each of which I readily replaced.)

I'd start your dad on the Transparent Tube (seems to be brighter, and on a lanyard so he can use the low setting if he has to use the restroom in the middle of the night) and then when the Holidays come, give him a Tip in his favorite color.

Oh, did I tell you how much I love the Tube?

:-)

- LetThereBeLight!

http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecor...-nite-tube.htm

They give easy options to include different charging options, as well as more colors now.

I forgot the PWM; it shows up with the cell phone camera. Has anyone else seen the video of an early Tube in a pond with some fish? I remember that.

You can also show your Dad how to use his thumb and index finger the 'choke' down on the emitter and reduce stray light from getting to the eyes, or if less light than the lowest setting is needed.

I am going to go against the grain, never really been a fan although the light weight and form i dont mind. Bit too cheap for me(feel not cost), not reliable long term(dont depend on it anyway as can die when ever they feel like it). Had a good few, some just stopped working(iirc show charging but just dont click on). Only ones that still do work are v54 ones, all ones from nitecore are not working.

Very cold beam, UI is not that good either(like the ramping idea at time, just not that good on tube). Can be accidentally activated, also can be opened up for repair!

A yuji would be a nice option for it to transform the too cold beam to easy on the eye.

Many do like, sorry just my opinion.....................not keen on them. They are cheap, maybe disposable in ways, but i like to have confidence in stuff. Too many random fails for that to ever happen.

Thanks Ven. In the grand scheme I don't want to gift a turd to my dad, so I'll keep entertaining different lights. There are a ton of cool lights that would work, but I honestly don't know how much he will use it which is why I was trying to keep it simple and inexpensive. Plus the built in charging seemed cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I am going to go against the grain, never really been a fan although the light weight and form i dont mind. Bit too cheap for me(feel not cost), not reliable long term(dont depend on it anyway as can die when ever they feel like it). Had a good few, some just stopped working(iirc show charging but just dont click on). Only ones that still do work are v54 ones, all ones from nitecore are not working.

Very cold beam, UI is not that good either(like the ramping idea at time, just not that good on tube). Can be accidentally activated, also can be opened up for repair!

A yuji would be a nice option for it to transform the too cold beam to easy on the eye.

Many do like, sorry just my opinion.....................not keen on them. They are cheap, maybe disposable in ways, but i like to have confidence in stuff. Too many random fails for that to ever happen.

In reality I should knock off all of this silliness and get him an E01. I'm sitting here using mine with a green Blister diffuser on it right now. It's lovely. I love it. Best flashlight ever. Why the hell did I start this thread in the first place? What's wrong with me?

Always worth asking , there can always be a light that slips bellow the radar. The E01 sounds like a perfect kind of light IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    OK, so it sounds like you really love your Tubes correct? Can you give me a few more details as to why? Oh and they DO NOT come with a micro USB cord to charge correct??
    - The Micro USB cord you can buy for a dollar at a Dollar Store unless you have a Droid cell phone whose cord will perform the same function;
    - The small feel (form factor) makes the Tube ideal for every day carry, although I have a minimum of two other more durable/reliable lights on my person at all times, plus 3-4 much higher end lights in my iPad bag that goes with me to work and just about everywhere else, for that matter;
    - The Tube is such a fun light to show off and then gift because they are not costly; the children I have given them to (attached to a lanyard) they really love, and it lights up anyone's bedroom with a lot of light; I think a love affair with flashlights can well begin with the simple Tube;
    - They joy I feel inside when I gift a light, any light, is really cool, and when I give the Tube to someone they are amazed at its small size, its brightness, and compact form factor.

So in short, a fun light that's inexpensive, brings joy to the recipient, and can inspire someone to become interested in (and research) lights the way each of us do, to me all that far outweighs the two of the many I have gifted that have gone bad, which I quickly replaced. By itself, the Tube is not appropriate as a senior citizen's only light or only EDC.

So would I recommend you give your father ONLY the Tube? No way, but as a fun light, I think he would love it. For example, if you gave him the Tip with the Tube, he can use the Tip when need be for greater illumination and/or to back up his Tube.

One short story: I gifted a Tube on a lanyard to a sophomore in high school who is a Boy Scout and he loved how it lit up his tent when camping out with his Troop and his friends asked where they could get one. (His father ended up 'stealing' it for himself which crushed his little heart so I made his dad pay for the gifted one and gave his son a new one, lol).

Having said all that, and having re-read your original post and your subsequent ones, including those of other posters, if you want to give your dad just ONE light, I'd recommend Eagtac's D25A.

It's quite bright, it takes just one AA battery (a Lithium AA would be ideal), he'd probably have fun with its other functions (which can easily be bypassed during use), and I consider it as durable/strong as the E01.

No disrespect to the workhorse E01, but the D25A's 200-lumens on just one AA battery is incredible and is in just as strong of a body, and just as solidly built. Check out its compact size. Glad to answer your questions.

- LetThereBeLight!

I know that NC has come a long way with their keychain lights but still. I had 3 of the original Tubes and all 3 croaked fast.

I'd wondered if anyone owned these. I got one as a freebie a few years ago having no idea what it was but it's been on my keychain since and I've had no issues with it. This is the original Tube. I've liked it well enough that I bought a couple more of the V2 version. For $10, if they perform as well as the original, I'll be quite happy.

I really like the original Tubes - donít know what the V2 is about. I had mixed success with their durability though. I had two that have lasted years and I think two that died sooner than I would have expected. Theyíre cheap enough if you buy a couple of them and one or two die after a while itís nothing to cry about. I like their UI a lot for a small simple squeezy light.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I really like the original Tubes - donít know what the V2 is about. I had mixed success with their durability though. I had two that have lasted years and I think two that died sooner than I would have expected. Theyíre cheap enough if you buy a couple of them and one or two die after a while itís nothing to cry about. I like their UI a lot for a small simple squeezy light.
    Well, it's about shorter recharging time, slightly more lumens, and longer run time.