Opinions and long term impression of Nitecore Tube

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,
Visiting my folks and see that my Dad is getting LOADS of use out of the Victorinox Rambler that I got for him as a Christmas gift a few years back. He's mentioned a few times how useful it is, and I got to thinking that a small keychain light might be of use to him as well. Now my first thought was, of course, I'll get him an E01, and that may still happen, but I think something even lighter that he can recharge off his computer and not worry about a battery might be better. I wanted to see how users have enjoyed their Nitecore Tubes. I think the simple Tube might be better than the Tip or Tini but welcome to share opinions on those lights as well. Thanks in advance.

nbp

Flashaholic
I really like the Tube form and UI but they have not been reliable for me. I think 2 of 3 have died. Fortunately they're cheap but I still don't want them dying when I want to use it. That's too bad since otherwise I really like their tiny size, ramping brightness, and decent output.

archimedes

Flashaholic
In that form factor, I have found better reliability and more features from my MecArmy SGN3 (although at higher initial cost)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three Tubes that I have purchased were OK. One person (70 something year old) I gave it to, forgot that it was rechargeable. Another went to Costa Rica for a few weeks with my wife's daughter. It came back, rarely used. A clear Tube sits in the battery box; a premature retirement when the Nitecore TIP arrived on the scene. Also have a UV Tube still functioning, the few times it has been used. Sounds like a plan to give one to your Dad. You might check in with him occasionally on it.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Tube form and UI but they have not been reliable for me. I think 2 of 3 have died. Fortunately they're cheap but I still don't want them dying when I want to use it. That's too bad since otherwise I really like their tiny size, ramping brightness, and decent output.

+1 to this. Great UI and form factor but not so great reliability.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got several of the first shipment of Tubes. So far I have not had any problems with them. I have given several as gifts and have not heard any complaints. I like the ability to ramp to whatever illumination level I desire.

leditbe

Newly Enlightened
I use my tube a lot and only the charge protection rubber got lost, otherwise ideal for hammock. I would buy a nee one if this one broke.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I have a hard time buying stuff that has a poor track record when it comes to crapping out. Sounds like they're hit or miss quality wise but nice in use. For 8 bucks I may get him one and see how long it lasts. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

nbp

Flashaholic
Try one - you may love it. Like I said, I really like them, but they are not as hardy as an E01 for example.

edpmis02

Enlightened
PWM flicker is strong at low levels... if you are sensitive to it. Low is a little too low for such a floody light.

Mine has been reasonable reliable with light use, but the switch is getting soft. I prefer AAA format.. lumitop worm is good value edc.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ONLY light I've found that's as hardy as an E01....is another E01. Just saw Fenix has a similar light the UC01. Watched a Vinh video and he said it's basically a Tube with higher build quality. Anyone have one of those?QUOTE=nbp;5223206]Try one - you may love it. Like I said, I really like them, but they are not as hardy as an E01 for example.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I can never give up my Tubes, I absolutely love them.

No, they're not the only light I have on lanyards, and none of the many I've given as gifts have failed except two (one was because a friend left it plugged in all night and I don't know about the other one, each of which I readily replaced.)

I'd start your dad on the Transparent Tube (seems to be brighter, and on a lanyard so he can use the low setting if he has to use the restroom in the middle of the night) and then when the Holidays come, give him a Tip in his favorite color.

Oh, did I tell you how much I love the Tube?

:)

- LetThereBeLight!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so it sounds like you really love your Tubes correct? :) Can you give me a few more details as to why? Oh and they DO NOT come with a micro USB cord to charge correct??
I can never give up my Tubes, I absolutely love them.

No, they're not the only light I have on lanyards, and none of the many I've given as gifts have failed except two (one was because a friend left it plugged in all night and I don't know about the other one, each of which I readily replaced.)

I'd start your dad on the Transparent Tube (seems to be brighter, and on a lanyard so he can use the low setting if he has to use the restroom in the middle of the night) and then when the Holidays come, give him a Tip in his favorite color.

Oh, did I tell you how much I love the Tube?

:)

- LetThereBeLight!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-Tube-Keychain-Light-p/fl-nite-tube.htm

They give easy options to include different charging options, as well as more colors now.

I forgot the PWM; it shows up with the cell phone camera. Has anyone else seen the video of an early Tube in a pond with some fish? I remember that.

You can also show your Dad how to use his thumb and index finger the 'choke' down on the emitter and reduce stray light from getting to the eyes, or if less light than the lowest setting is needed.

ven

Flashaholic
I am going to go against the grain, never really been a fan although the light weight and form i dont mind. Bit too cheap for me(feel not cost), not reliable long term(dont depend on it anyway as can die when ever they feel like it). Had a good few, some just stopped working(iirc show charging but just dont click on). Only ones that still do work are v54 ones, all ones from nitecore are not working.

Very cold beam, UI is not that good either(like the ramping idea at time, just not that good on tube). Can be accidentally activated, also can be opened up for repair!

A yuji would be a nice option for it to transform the too cold beam to easy on the eye.

Many do like, sorry just my opinion.....................not keen on them. They are cheap, maybe disposable in ways, but i like to have confidence in stuff. Too many random fails for that to ever happen.

:tinfoil:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ven. In the grand scheme I don't want to gift a turd to my dad, so I'll keep entertaining different lights. There are a ton of cool lights that would work, but I honestly don't know how much he will use it which is why I was trying to keep it simple and inexpensive. Plus the built in charging seemed cool.
I am going to go against the grain, never really been a fan although the light weight and form i dont mind. Bit too cheap for me(feel not cost), not reliable long term(dont depend on it anyway as can die when ever they feel like it). Had a good few, some just stopped working(iirc show charging but just dont click on). Only ones that still do work are v54 ones, all ones from nitecore are not working.

Very cold beam, UI is not that good either(like the ramping idea at time, just not that good on tube). Can be accidentally activated, also can be opened up for repair!

A yuji would be a nice option for it to transform the too cold beam to easy on the eye.

Many do like, sorry just my opinion.....................not keen on them. They are cheap, maybe disposable in ways, but i like to have confidence in stuff. Too many random fails for that to ever happen.

:tinfoil:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reality I should knock off all of this silliness and get him an E01. I'm sitting here using mine with a green Blister diffuser on it right now. It's lovely. I love it. Best flashlight ever. Why the hell did I start this thread in the first place? What's wrong with me?