Radar/Laser Jammer

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do these work? Rocky Mountain Radar has a "pay your fine" guarantee if you get a ticket using their detector/jammer.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I was given a "phantom" in a pile of equipment. I suspect the giver did not know it was in there.

Anyway... I hooked it up alongside my radar detector and left it there for about a week. One day doing about 75 up a federal parkway where the limit is a STRICT 50. I have seen many people pulled over for doing 51 and 52. I topped a hill and there was a federal patrol about 100 yards away coming toward me.

The detector triggered and then went silent. After a brief pause, it triggered again and went silent. It did this 3 times total and then stayed silent. When the guy got even with me, he triggered his lights briefly but did nothing else. I took this to say that I can't get a lock but I know you're speeding.

I was too nervous with it though. Ended up throwing it out. If you read the fine print you will see that they say that distances under about 300 yards will allow radar to overpower the jammer. 300 yards is ~1000 feet is 1/5 mile. Most radar around here gets triggered on you at distances a LOT closer than that.

Good luck.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Rocky Mountain Radar has a reputation for selling expensive little boxes filled mostly with air. Every legit test of their equipment that I've read has shown that any influence on radar generated by their passive jammers is akin to a placebo effect. Their radar detectors are also crappy performers compared to similarly (or, even lower) priced models from more well known manufacturers. Check out this review from RadarTest.com

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
And Radar Jammers seem to be illegal in Utah, California, Nebraska, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Virginia and Washington D.C.

-Bill

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont waste your money on junk.
if it doesnt contain a gunnplexer/feedhorn and a modulator its worthless junk.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I stumbled across a site, radarroy.com I think, that showed they were fake.

Isn't it hillarious those states had politicians stupid enough to push for a ban when they don't even work. Politicians are morons.

Harrkev

Enlightened
I will sell you a cardboard box for $50 with a money-back guarantee. If you put the cardboard box in your car, and you get a ticket, I will send your $50 back. On the other hand, if you DON'T get a ticket, I get to keep your $50.

Good deal, or not?

Also, those guarantees don't pay for your insurance increases.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tkl,

My LEO friend "loves" radar detectors. He gets a big thrill out of writing a ticket to someone with a radar detector on their dash.

From the number of radar equippted cars that he has written up, I don't think they work well.

Tom

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Also note that the 'guarantee' on the radar jammers usually has verbage to the effect that the ticket must state that it was issued by radar measurement of speed.

Don't know about where you are, but here traffic courts are more than happy to accept an experienced police officer stating you were going 'in excess of 35 mph in a 25 zone' -- i.e. no radar required (as opposed to the ticket for 37 in a 25 zone w/radar).

kf