Small & Bright - Why No Other Manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
OK. Almost everyone has come out with a Luxeon light. Cool aluminum from Inova. Technical pyrotechnics from Surefire. The low price market being explored by Streamlight (aluminum) and PT (plastic).

But I don't get it. How could it be that everyone takes a 1 3/8" 0.5oz battery, 1/4" 0.1oz emitter, and comes up with a 4" 4oz light? No way I'm going to put THAT in my pocket, and no way I'm going to fork over high dollar for a light that I'm not comfortable carrying every day.

Even CPF modders (McLux & VIP) don't get it. Is it possible that Arc somehow patented the concept of a 3" 3oz 15+ lumen light? Congratulations to Peter for putting the packages together; may the competition continue to stay clear.

paulr

Flashaholic
Dunno about the VIP, but the McLux goals were stated clearly; they weren't out to make a minimally sized light.

If you want a small 1x123 modder light, get a Firefly. It makes the Arc 123 lights look enormous by comparison!

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am out of my element here, but I have a SF KL1 mod on a 1 cell twisty. It is small enough to carry in my pocket, and not very expensive. It puts out plenty of light for almost anything I need a flashlight for.
It is not nearly as bright as the SL TL-2LED or the PM6-LED, but I do not often need that degree of brightness.

Is the KL1 not bright enough?

Jerry

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Do a search for "LED_mods_As_Small_As_Possible". He's come as close as any modder to doing what you're looking for -- within the limitations of heat and runtime, anyway.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Peter comes out with an Arc AAA sized LS eventually, however, especially as the emitters become more efficient.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and there's another run of the Firefly coming up very soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it safe to say that Arc is the only manufacture that effectively combines:

Excellent size:brightness ratio
Superior quality
Superior durability and reliability
Excellent full regulation (LS models)
State of the art engineering
Great EDC size

all in one flashlight?

Yes, I'm sold on Arc. I love my standard LSHs so much, I gotta get more (LSH-P next maybe)!

paulr

Flashaholic
The Arcs are actually rather large compared to minimal lights of the same class. The extra size gets you more toughness and features. But the Arc4, the new standard in 1 watt Luxeon lights, is about 2x the size of the Firefly. The Arc4 gets you more throw (big reflector), dimmability and other computer features, and more solid construction (thicker aluminum and less heat buildup). But the basic functionality is still about the same.

Similarly the Arc AAA, the new standard 5mm LED keychain light, is about 2x the size of the Photon II, the old standard. It gets you much sturdier construction, waterproofness, and the ability to use common batteries that you can change without tools. But the basic functionality is again still about the same.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Photon II. After about an hour, it becomes noticably dimmer. I don't think its regulated? In contrast, my Arc AAA after an hour still looks nearly as bright as when the batteries were fresh.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, the Photon II does get dimmer after an hour or so, but it keeps going at that dimmer level for quite a long time, and its usefulness isn't seriously impaired. I don't mean to say it's as nice a light as the Arc; but it does the same basic job.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Small & Bright - Why No Other Manufacturer

What other MANUFACTURED lights are there anywhere near as small as the ARC? The Firefly isn't made by a manufacturer. In fact, technically, as far as this thread goes, it isn't even a light; it's a body.

As far as the ARC 4 goes, it's in a class all of its own. It utilizes a microprocessor to manage the light's circuitry for the purpose of maximizing its efficiency. The other features are "freebees." They are not why the micro was used. The fact that other lights use a Luxeon and a CR123 don't make them the same class as the ARC 4.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Small & Bright - Why No Other Manufacturer

Surefire E1e/KL1 is about the same size as the Arc4, but the Arc4 is a better light.

simbad

Enlightened
I have my AAA with my van-keys for the work and going in and coming out my pocket for about twenty times per day in a normal working-day, getting dusty and greasy or falling over, normal rough use and still looks new...that means quality production, I also carry a LSHF-P in my front pocket when I need an intense light.I`ve seen just a couple of times only the change from "sun mode" to "moon mode" and still lights perfectly in the dark, are the two things I never forget to take every day, my ARC's and my S.Tool 200.(even Saturday afternoon messing around in my garage....)

haley1

Enlightened
PaulR, to use another vehicle analogy. It's not the getting there, it's the how you get there. Porche, or VW. Maybe it's just me. It probably is, according to my wife. Of course I drive a Ford, but want a Landrover. What this has to do with anything, I don't know. But I've been drinking FAT Tire all night./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.