Acebeam        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Omicron

Sigh Missing Omicron

Hello folks,

If you take a look at this thread, you'll see that CPF member Karlthev had his Omicron and its customised rayskin holster stolen whilst in transit. Please can all members keep an eye out for threads such as "What light is this?", "What batteries does this light take?" or sales threads on here, eBay, CPF Facebook or Flashlight Fanatics Facebook?

For reference, an Omicron looks like this

Many thanks,

Mick

Default Re: Stolen Omicron

Give it time. Did he contact postal police? They’ll give it more attention then the postmaster
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Thanks a million for the attention, Mike, PARTICULARLY the post of the original thread and the picture! I had just posted in the WTB section in a somewhat sarcastic manner and, had my thread closed and referred to post here instead.

Yes, I did contact the Postal authorities in the town of intended delivery. They are investigating the situation where the contents disappeared.

The situation is that the box was (presumably) machine damaged (opened) the Omicron and the Rayskin case were seen or fell out and PooF, vanished into thin area...or someone's pocket I'll wager. It's a very nice light and, an equally nice carry holster and, even to the uninformed, it's an attractive bauble if nothing else. As far as I can tell by tracking the computer system, the first location in Pennsylvania (where I reside) it arrived was the Lehigh Valley distribution center. It was scanned in at 1:08 AM on July 6th and, left the facility at 3:00 AM. I believe that was where and when the box was damaged and, the contents (light and case) got into someone's hands....."lost".

I have a beef, complaint with both the Postal authorities there in the Lehigh facility who should have stopped the shipping at that point and contacted the sender or me, the recipient. They did not. I have a rather obvious complaint as well with the individual who took the contents and didn't report it. For the damaged, EMPTY box to continue on its' way to me is somewhat hard for me to believe. I wish I could post the picture here but, half of one side of the cardboard box was torn off! This wasn't a bump or a scrape or an ink mark. . What I am trying to convey is that there is little incentive for the individual to be honest and come forward with the contents.

I didn't initially post here on CFP in the belief that whomever took my property is also a member of CPF rather that this forum is open to everyone who has computer access and interest in our hobby. As such, information on my missing light and/or case may reach the person who now is in illegal possession of it---either on this forum or on other forums associated with lights or not. I may be completely naive however, that individual just may choose to return them to their rightful owner--me. How I can't say but, creativity would help---tell a friend of a friend...whatever works. I'd really like them back! I've only seen pictures of them and, a bill in the mail! Come on, fess up!

Anyway, hopefully I've clearly expressed myself and the situation and, all turns out well. In the meantime, thanks to all who have or may help in the future!

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 07-12-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Although this Rant is now posted in The Cafe, please keep in mind CPF Cheers'n'Jeers Rule 4 ...

4. DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF FRAUD
    The rules in a Court of Law are very stringent on the burden of proof for claims of "Fraud". They are even more stringent here: DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE or ANY VENDOR OF IT. Save it for your real-world lawsuit. This is not the venue for claims of "Fraud".

Carriers now often use automated package processing machines that, yes, unfortunately do sometimes severely damage boxes, and thus may result in the contents getting separated from the packaging (which may continue through the delivery stream)

Was the item securely fastened to the inner walls of the box ?

Did the item include your (or the senders) contact information anywhere inside (the item) ?

Was the shipment insured ?

I understand that this is certainly an upsetting and frustrating situation, but presently the exact circumstances of your loss is not entirely clear.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I Just edited , in part, my recent post. "Fraud" accusations removed.

I have not had an in depth discussion with the sender via phone which may or may not have addressed some of the specific questions you have posed---taping on the inside, address paper included within the box but, I am aware the box was not unfortunately, insured.

The precautions which you have addressed certainly do identify additional protections against loss and, in retrospect, may have cleared up this situation more expeditiously. In defense of the sender, I have received many items from this same individual, via US Postal, which arrived without damage and with items included. From my position, US Postal has USUALLY done a real stand-up job. This one the exception.

I'm not intentionally being offensive nor posting in deference to CPF rules and guidelines, merely was looking for support from the membership. Hopefully, that will still occur. So far, the US Postal service has not shed any light on my predicament.

Karl

Thank you for doing so.

I know all too well how unpleasant it is to have something go missing in the post, both as a sender and as a recipient.

Sadly, there are many ways things can go awry, some benign and some malign

Some of the precautions I mentioned above, I have learned through my experiences here.

I hope your items are recovered and returned to you safely, and soon.

Please keep us updated.

It's entirely possible that a machine damaged the shipping carton and that the contents fell to the floor...... However, sooner or later a postal employee put their hands on the damaged package and surely realized it was empty. That employee should have notified their supervisor, then he or she should have begun a search for the missing contents. Since the rules dictate we not label that action, or lack of, fraud, can we at least state it as being malfeasance?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

Certainly very frustrating.
    Last month, porch pirates stole the contents of my REI package from my doorstep, leaving me an empty, opened box. Tracking said it was left at 3pm, I got home at 5pm to find the empty box. I'm told the thieves see a delivery truck, and when it leaves, just run up and steal. I usually try to get deliveries made to work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    It's entirely possible that a machine damaged the shipping carton and that the contents fell to the floor...... However, sooner or later a postal employee put their hands on the damaged package and surely realized it was empty. That employee should have notified their supervisor, then he or she should have begun a search for the missing contents. Since the rules dictate we not label that action, or lack of, fraud, can we at least state it as being malfeasance?

~ Chance

I'll not use the "F" word again however, I do believe your thoughts on the course of events are probable. My Postal delivery man was even red-faced when I "chided" him about the Saturday delivery. He told me he had protested acceptance of an empty box for delivery but, was overturned by his supervisor who indicated damaged or not, evidently empty or not (!!) the box, sans contents, were required to be delivered. As we might muse, "go figure".

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    Certainly very frustrating.
    Last month, porch pirates stole the contents of my REI package from my doorstep, leaving me an empty, opened box. Tracking said it was left at 3pm, I got home at 5pm to find the empty box. I'm told the thieves see a delivery truck, and when it leaves, just run up and steal. I usually try to get deliveries made to work now.
    I've not had anything taken from my porch, let alone had a box opened, empied and left. This situation a tad different since the Postal Service WAS forthright in stamping the box "Delivered Unsealed" and "Damaged"....so, that seems to have eliminated the possibility of porch theft but, the outcome the same....a trade of air for contents.

Karl

88 million items per year is a pretty big lost-and-found bin ....

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/lost-and-found

The "buck" didn't stop anywhere along the line. Very frustrating, indeed!

Sorry for your loss, Karl.

~ CG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    I'll not use the "F" word again however, I do believe your thoughts on the course of events are probable. My Postal delivery man was even red-faced when I "chided" him about the Saturday delivery. He told me he had protested acceptance of an empty box for delivery but, was overturned by his supervisor who indicated damaged or not, evidently empty or not (!!) the box, sans contents, were required to be delivered. As we might muse, "go figure".

Karl
    I don't know how many times a year that the USPS holds auctions of items that were found within postal facilities that fell from packages, but you might wish to contact them for the centers closest to where shipped.

Insurance on items by USPS is somewhat a joke. They want proof of item value not just what coverage you pay for.

I've had 3 Amazon packages this year leave distribution yet fail to make it to the post office for scan or delivery. FedEx and UPS aren't any better.

UPS delivered a flat screen monitor crushed on one end with a drop and run. I was waiting for delivery, and before I could get up from the table, the driver was almost to his truck.

FedEx smashed the lens of my 16" search light. The box had 2" of foam overpack and marked fragile. They gashed through the fragile label. As a final gesture, when I sent the parabolic mirror out for resilvering, they managed to crush the wood shipping crate. That little diddy cost them $1100.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

It was me. Who shipped it, that is.
    Here is the photo of the box Karl emailed to me. I cut out his address as this is a public forum.

I ship hundreds of packages a year, and this is the first this has happened. There is no way anyone could have known what was in the box. I have a feeling a machine tore it open and the contents went on the floor. What happened after that... I can only guess.

I don't insure unless someone specifically asks for it to be insured.
    This is the holster and light in question...

I have likewise posted photos on my Thor's Hammer FB page and a few other places telling people to be on the lookout for this light and holster, and have also been in contact with George7806 (the rather talented member who makes these) and through him, purchased another and am making another holster both for Karl and one for George (as he was very understanding and worked out a good deal for me) on a replacement for Karl.

I doubt the original will turn up. I guess there is always hope, but I'm a realist.

The Omicron was in the original box that arrived from George, and the holster wrapped and put in the priority box. It was stuffed with bubble wrap, and the self-sticking side of the box was taped (I don't trust that self sticking stuff).

In the interest of transparency, I just thought folks should know I was the one shipping it.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

The business branding on the holster increases the chance of successful recovery, I would say.

Pretty easy for the finder to do a websearch and contact you, let's hope.

There are some, possibly many, stand up folks on the forum. Dan (Thor's Hammer Custom Leather) is one of them. Thanks Dan..for resolving this problem, unveiling the mystery and, being honest about it all. I am most appreciative.

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 07-12-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Absolutely stand-up service there from Thorshammer leather :

Unfortunately, despite repeated calls to my local Post Office and assurance of those calls to be returned, nothing.... The chance of getting my merchandise back are slim to none it appears. Hope there is a happy postal employee today....

Karl

Unless I am misunderstanding the post from Hogo, aren't your items being replaced ?

Wouldn't any recovered items now be due back to them ?

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    ...Hope there is a happy postal employee today....
    You are using sarcasm and assuming a postal employee is a thief, when you seem to have no proof of that.
    Have you inquired as to whether your package may have been subjected to security x-ray? Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility.

What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    .... Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility....
    A reminder for threads related to Rants and Jeers here on CPF, to please avoid speculation.

It is unhelpful at best, and often may be inflammatory.

Please all just stick to the facts, else the thread will likely be closed.

.... What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.
    CPF is a wonderful community ::
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-14-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: quote added

Default Re: Missing Omicron

You are using sarcasm and assuming a postal employee is a thief, when you seem to have no proof of that....
    Yes, quite correct

... thread title edited ...
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-14-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added quote

Agreed. It’s a small item. It could be lodged In a machine, kicked under a table or piece of equipment, laying in the back of a truck or airplane, or any number of things. While the situation is certainly frustrating, theft is not the only possibility. Very kind of the makers to help you though - really stand up guys!

You are using sarcasm and assuming a postal employee is a thief, when you seem to have no proof of that.
    Have you inquired as to whether your package may have been subjected to security x-ray? Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility.

What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.
    Well, I really shouldn't have to go this defensive route but I will...if permitted to do so.
    Other than the emoticon (?) of the shaking head, I don't believe I used the word "theft". Happy Postal employee very well meant happy due to having found the light and the case. I can't say one way or the other due to...the following....

I was told by a local Postal employee that there might possibly be some video showing where the contents spilled out--possibly onto the floor, possibly wedged into a piece of machinery. If you care to read my post again, it was related to not having been contacted by that same Postal employee---on two separate occasions--as I was told would occur, contents found or not. Again I say, no call or calls back.

I didn't author the title of this thread. I might have used the same wording. If the change is more appropriate, so be it.

I really don't know what the procedure is should the items be found, I've not had this happen before. Yes, I was informed that due to the goodwill of the sender, I would receive the replacements for the lost contents. Should, following that replacement, the original contents be discovered, will the Post Office return the found merchandise to the sender-- as in the old Elvis Presley song or, forwarded to me, the intended recipient? I don't know if the sender has asked the Postal service to do one or the other. I have not. Premature at best--let's see if the contents are found.

In short, I posted today to give an update of the situation. I did just that. Quite frankly, had I thought keeping all informed---as I was asked--was going to generate such a mess, I'd have kept all in suspense.

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 07-14-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: accidentally excluded an operative word

Did they discuss an estimate of how long they expected any search for your items to take, including to review available video, before calling you back ?

Two answers as I may read the questions..1) no estimate of search and discovery timetable. 2) The Postal staff person said my call would be returned "that day"---and, as I think I may have previously stated, I called twice, once on each of two different days. Any insight on why no returned calls certainly appreciated by anyone reading this thread.

Karl

The article I linked earlier discusses the standard policies for handling lost and damaged items, at least as of 2014.

It would seem that unless it is immediately easily and readily found, any items later recovered are forwarded to the Mail Recovery Center, where they are attempted to be matched up with claims in the system.

Failing that, "if items can’t be delivered or returned, the Postal Service donates, recycles, discards, or auctions them off" per that acticle.

I'll have to go read it. Honestly I haven't--my failing. If I happen to have to "Eat Crow" on this one, I WILL gladly tell everyone "Who's coming to...err....for Dinner"--crow in this case--and admit my having jumped the gun" so to speak. I'll be tickled pink having had my lost goodies returned... In the meantime, maybe I'll find Postal response time guidelines as well....

Karl

Have you been made whole by others, or not ?

Well no....quite honestly I really would like the light back AND, i don't know how long a search might take. I'd certainly have preferred I'd have known by now but, I didn't think I would. I didn't want the sender to go through the trouble of paying the money for the light, building/crafting a new case and getting it to me to find the original contents were located. I don't believe he was in the market for this light and, finding the original AFTER replacement would find him (the sender) with an expensive light and, a hole in his pocket for the cost. On the other hand, this certainly isn't a heart transplant and, I think I can scour up another light in the meantime to use for potty duty illumination before I receive the original or the replacement.

The US Postal service processes millions (?) of packages each day. Finding this isn't the proverbial location of the needle in the haystack but, pretty close--this light takes 10180s and, is correspondingly small. Whether a video of a conveyor belt crammed with thousands of packages will note a "hole in one" (sorry!) is doubtful.

I'll give it a few days..week (?) and, possibly a miracle will occur! Ya never know!

karl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast