Pointing a high powered Incandescent, HID, Luxeon.

UVLaser

Enlightened
HI. I am sorry about the subject name I could't fit it all. But my question is what would happen if I aim a high powered light at a helicopter or plane, is it illegal to, can I get a fine. I am asking this because when I go out in the summer to star gaze I will be using my Brinkmann LX and a Craftsman work light too. I can't wait in till the summer because I bought the Brinkmann LX in September so I did't get I chance to do field test yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Thanks Alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its definitely NOT a good idea to point lights at planes or helicoptors.

Only the LEOs on this forum can answer the legality issue though.

UVLaser

Enlightened
Hey 357,

Thanks for posting. I'm not saying that I would do it on purpose, and I have never done it on purpose but what I'm saying is what if by accident it happens? A bit of a silly question but I was just wondering.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
1). i doubt it'd happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
2). i doubt the pilot would notice.
3). i'm sure you could be slapped with some odd manslaughter charge, in the event it actually caused an accident. other than that i'm not sure if there are any laws, it's probly along the lines of tailgating a squad car or something, but like .357 said, the CPF LEO's will know better than us.
4). stop worrying, man!

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UVLaser said:
...I will be using my Brinkmann LX and a Craftsman work light too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the new "Atomic Powered" LX? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, I think Ryan's right that if they notice it in the first place among the Thousand's of other lights, its not going to be that @ bright 500-1000+ feet.

Also those police helicopter's might even return the favor with something a lot Brighter than a LX. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

PeterW

Enlightened
No torch would cause much issue at night unless it was searchlight like..... not really in the hand held league. Of course if you have a laser pointer then there might be a problem. I have a green pointer, very useful to point out stars to people..... but I would never point it at anybody/animal/plane/car/reflective surface/etc etc etc for risk of a)eye damage (of me or anyone else) and b)getting sued.

There have been cases of pilots complaining of being dazzled by laser pointers, I doubt they were much affected, but they have a serious job to do and should never be interfered with.

PEterW

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
I Live about a mile from the end of Farnborough airfields main runway and the aircraft (mainly biz jets)fly directly over my house at about 1000 feet. Even when its completly dark my Tigerlight will not throw that far (I've tried) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
I think only an HID light would throw enough to be a problem.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we did the show pictured below we had to get FAA clearance. The lights being used are called Space Cannons and use a 7000 watt arc lamp they pull 30 amps of three phase 208v. The show was for a Hospital and there are two Hospitals within a mile of the site. During rehearsals the FAA called and asked us to shut them down for a few minutes as there was an air med flight coming through our path.

P7250062.JPG

P7240041.JPG

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
...The lights being used are called Space Cannons...

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure this is not a Mr.Bulk special? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add that IIRC there HAVE been problems with people intentionally firing laser pointers at aircraft (this was about 5 years ago in Northern California). There was even an article in one of the papers that mentioned that firing a laser pointer at an aircraft was a severe crime under local laws. A powerful flashlight that has a somewhat colliminated beam might still be seen by an aircraft like apparently lasers were?