Maxtorch        

Thread: MBI HF-R Mods?

Default MBI HF-R Mods?

Hi all, I hope this is posted in the correct place, and that "solicitations" of this nature are allowed. I have an MBI HF-R Flashlight I am interested in having modified. Ideally, I would request 3 things:

1) Swap Emitter for a Nichia 219 (currently has XML)
    2) Install custom driver. I have the 3 mode version and I just feel the 600 lumen high is too much. It's impressive but I'd prefer more runtime. I know the 219 will produce lower lumens anyway. I'm not sure what's really possible here but I'd love to discuss it.
    3) New tritium tubes.

Can anyone recommend me a modder who might be interested in this project?

Default Re: MBI HF-R Mods?

I think I remember other people swapping emitters, but I'm not sure there's room for a driver. The HF series was direct drive, with modes being determined by resistors in the rotary tailswitch.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    I think I remember other people swapping emitters, but I'm not sure there's room for a driver. The HF series was direct drive, with modes being determined by resistors in the rotary tailswitch.
    Thank you for the information, this is good to know, not sure if I made clear that I'm definitely a novice with this stuff. Would there be any other way to "throttle down" the output on high to squeeze out more runtime/less heat?

Where are you located?

The HF-R has resistors in the rotary tail switch, they can be changed to different values altering the output.
    There is no "driver" as such, just a contact PCB.

The emitter is fairly easy to swap.

I have extensively modified mine

I swapped some resistors around so:
    Momentary mode – 760lm
    92A – 887Ω to 1Ω – 240lm – 20mins
    201 – 200Ω to 2Ω – 150lm – 40mins
    150 – 15 Ω to same – 30lm – 220mins
    5R1 – 5.1Ω to 200Ω – 10lm
    0 – 0Ω to 887Ω – 1lm
    Last edited by CRX_; 07-16-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRX_ View Post
    Where are you located?

The HF-R has resistors in the rotary tail switch, they can be changed to different values altering the output.
    There is no "driver" as such, just a contact PCB.

The emitter is fairly easy to swap.

I have extensively modified mine

I swapped some resistors around so:
    Momentary mode – 760lm
    92A – 887Ω to 1Ω – 240lm – 20mins
    201 – 200Ω to 2Ω – 150lm – 40mins
    150 – 15 Ω to same – 30lm – 220mins
    5R1 – 5.1Ω to 200Ω – 10lm
    0 – 0Ω to 887Ω – 1lm
    That is some truly mind-blowing work right there. I am located in the US, in Maryland. I have the 3 mode HF-R with momentary, not sure what options are possible with that. In a perfect world maybe 1-30-150 with max momentary. If you would be inclined to modify another I'd love to talk with you about that!

Hopefully someone closer to you can help you out with this or you get into moddin' lights
    Last edited by CRX_; 07-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.

CRX has kindly offered to mod my light, but given that I am in the US and he is in the UK, I am still searching for others here in the states.

MBI HF (and related models) are very tiny, and appear to be at least of "moderate-plus" challenge to mod.

You may wish to check with Vinh to see if it would be something he might be willing to attempt ?

That was a kind offer @CRX_ . You seem to be new to CPF ...

Just saw your linked photos, that looks to be some very impressive work you've done. I hope you will continue to participate here, and would be very interested in any "build threads" you may want to add ....
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    MBI HF (and related models) are very tiny, and appear to be at least of "moderate-plus" challenge to mod.

You may wish to check with Vinh to see if it would be something he might be willing to attempt ?

That was a kind offer @CRX_ . You seem to be new to CPF ...

Just saw your linked photos, that looks to be some very impressive work you've done. I hope you will continue to participate here, and would be very interested in any "build threads" you may want to add ....
    CRX was recommended to me by a friend on CPF from the UK and I requested him to mod 2 of my brass peaks (Logan & Rainier) into multi-level lights with current emitters and versatile UIs. He did an amazing job on them.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!