HDS Systems        
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC Holsters # 1

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC Holsters # 1

Wow. Speechless

I used a 3mm x 25mm tritium in it. It's bright! Makes those viking shields glow!
    This kind of multi-color dye job is a royal pain. Putting dye on with a little tiny paint brush and trying to make sure it doesn't bleed over... very time consuming.

I should have a few custom stamps done this week so... hopefully they turn out good. I think they will.

Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 07-30-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Damn hogo, your on fire..............................must be the weetabix(and rum) breakfasts

Amazing, i get as much enjoyment looking at your holsters as i do flashlights.................that to me says something haha. Beautiful work, the thought, design........everything .

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Damn hogo, your on fire..............................must be the weetabix(and rum) breakfasts

Amazing, i get as much enjoyment looking at your holsters as i do flashlights.................that to me says something haha. Beautiful work, the thought, design........everything .
    Thanks. I just try to think up things I think would be cool and then run with it. Safer than running with scissors at any rate.

Artwork on the new stamp is almost done...

Black is pushed down into the leather while the white remains raised... Still needs some clean up before being made into a stamp.

I play with dead things

Love it! Itís easy to look at designs and think wow, to actually come up with them and then stamp is just crazy. Truly amazing stuff

Hogo, do you find that most right handed people who buy a horizontal flashlight holster prefer to carry on their left side? In other words, do they position the holster for right handed cross draw? I'm curious because I instinctively operate a flashlight with my left hand, even though I'm right handed, so that my dominant hand is free for other things.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Damn hogo, your on fire.............................i get as much enjoyment looking at your holsters as i do flashlights.
    Wait till you own one, then two, then three...

At this point, I am enjoying the Thors holsters as much as the HDS flash lights.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 07-31-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Wait till you own one, then two, then three...

At this point, I am enjoying the Thors holsters as much as the HDS flash lights.
    I can imagine, i will get a holster for sure at some point. Trouble is kids are off school for 6 weeks, means 2 things(well 3 if you count the constant head ache lol). Kids=money, kids of school = more money, also not easy for work(Rach self employed). So everything slows right down...........did i just say 2 things

Still its on my want/need/have to have list

Ya I really need a custom holster made for one of my HDS lights Iím a big Zelda fan and think I will tie that into it somehow.what I think Iím really going to do is have hogo make me a holster that will hold my altoids mini survival kit and my light.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Ya I really need a custom holster made for one of my HDS lights Iím a big Zelda fan and think I will tie that into it somehow.what I think Iím really going to do is have hogo make me a holster that will hold my altoids mini survival kit and my light.
    Very cool, my trouble is i want a black, dark red(burgundy type), stingray so just 3 for now . I would house both novatacs and the HDS. I really want a sting ray one, that is my grail holster. Unfortunately a ti rotary is too much for me right now other wise that would be in one! I just think its the perfect dream combo full stop(that inc hanko's and all the other special lights out there).

All in time, my other problem is i dont like selling lights to fund..............maybe i need to re-think it some in the future. I just get too attached and some are for life anyway and will be passed down.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Be very, very careful what you wish for in this thread...it has a funny way of appearing in the Thors Custom Leather Web Store :-). I believe that is how I got my sixth holster - which is a really neat holster.

[QUOTE=RCS1300;5226177]It is a front pocket holster that went through quite a bit of testing and development as this is version #3, the winner.

I have been wearing my front pocket holster all day and did not even realize it with a HDS flash light was in my pocket until now at 5:10 pm. This holster is incredibly comfortable for all day wear. More details on this holster are in post #41 in this thread.

RCS1300, do you carry anything else in the pocket with that holster? I curious if a cell phone would fit between the light bulge and the outer part of the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    RCS1300, do you carry anything else in the pocket with that holster? I curious if a cell phone would fit between the light bulge and the outer part of the pocket.
    No, I do not carry anything else in the pocket with this holster. The holsters wing rests on the bottom pocket seam transferring the weight of the HDS light evenly over the entire pant pocket seam. I believe that is what hides the weight and size of the flash light. Anything else in the pocket might get between the holster wing and the bottom pocket seam. Also, the way the wings are sewn around the HDS flash light enables the wings to flex and contour to the shape of your thigh making the flash light and holster less noticeable than a cell phone.

I would not carry a cell phone in the same pocket as the holster as it would double the thickness of the cell phone and the cell phone does not flex to the shape of your thigh.

I do not carry anything else in the pocket with this holster.
    congrats on your deep cover solution

Hot LED Tip, Buy Now!
    last chance to buy more sw45
    https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvsl219bt-v1

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    There are 2 factory ones [219b sw45 9080] out in the wild. My grubby little hands are clutching one of those two!
    I will most likely get sapphire on my titanium.
    I imagined myself in Hogo's World for a moment, patrolling the Mexican border packing a 219b 4500k 9080 Ti HDS w Sapphire lens, but maybe not in a Green Tritium Eyed Celtic Raven Sheath.

Celtic ravens on emerald green with dragon scales and copper engraved spots. Lined with piggy suede.
    Maybe in an exotic holster from other deadly creatures, besides Bulls and Boars:

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan

Obtuse Katana RaySkin tangent

Stingray spines have glands that contain poison, capable of causing wounds nearly as painful and dangerous as a snake bite.

Crocodile Hunter Killed by Sting Ray:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...n-reveals.html

What will Your Ti Rotary Ride In?

My 35k Rotary is riding in the dark green one as we speak...thinking of requesting a horizontal or 45 degree canted open top/finger cut out stingray in a charcoal grey (natural?) for the Ti...the stingray is seriously tough stuff.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post

Hot LED Tip, Buy Now!
    last chance to buy more sw45
    https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvsl219bt-v1
    Nice, ordered some 40's.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    My 35k Rotary is riding in the dark green one as we speak...thinking of requesting a horizontal or 45 degree canted open top/finger cut out stingray in a charcoal grey (natural?) for the Ti...the stingray is seriously tough stuff.
    awesome! I vote horizontal SOB

Love the feel of sting ray, hope its ok to also share a non Thor carry option, the Stingray Mission Wallet

it carries like a wallet, has room for a cash stash.. certainly nothing like the durability of a Thor, just another Urban Dress Covert Pocket Carry Stingray option

theres a Sharskin version too, with superpowers:
    "it seems to be RFID blocking as it does not allow me to utilize office key card while in the wallet"
    Last edited by jon_slider; 07-31-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Hogo, do you find that most right handed people who buy a horizontal flashlight holster prefer to carry on their left side? In other words, do they position the holster for right handed cross draw? I'm curious because I instinctively operate a flashlight with my left hand, even though I'm right handed, so that my dominant hand is free for other things.
    I don't ask. Someone just asks for left or right side carry. I don't get into the reasons why. There are only two reasons it would be important... one would be the stamping which may or may not make a difference. These two are examples where the stamping makes a difference. Obviously, the Huey flying upside done would certainly indicated a pilot with too much rum... The second would be if one wants the horizontal holster to ride high or low on the belt line. If someone doesn't ask, I make it to ride low. In the photo you see the Huey is riding low for a right side carry. The Phoenix is riding high for a left side carry. It is simply where the belt loop folds on the back of the holster.

I probably should state all the different options and heights one can order, but then, I custom make them so it really is up to the individual. If someone just asks for a vertical holster with belt clip, then it's nearly 3 inches tall (12 stitches tall with about 1 blank stitch at the top and bottom... yes, I measure in stitches and there are about 5 per inch.) This size works well with 18650 tubes as well. The ones with finger cut outs are 4 inches tall in order to protect the entire front of the light. There are even 2 different finger cut outs I use, one more rounded (easier to draw the light), and one more tapered (more protection for the light).

What I tend to find is that people send me a photo of something I have made and then just request that. It's why I like to get a lot of photos of different stuff up. Different stamping, colors, spots and rivets, etc. With clips, it is harder to adjust the height, but then can be done to drop down so the top of the light is even with the top of the belt... with a 2AA tube it might make sitting down a bit tricky though.

Stingray is expensive and a total pain to work with... and if I make a mistake, it's gets really expensive fast. Most folks want the diamond (that white center of the stingrays back that has the biggest "pearls". I don't keep a lot of it in stock because I try not to keep too large an inventory. One holster and it's time to resharpen the round knives as well. It is about the toughest critter as far as a tanned hide goes. Elephant cuts like butter in comparison. The next worst, is crocodile back strap. I hate the stuff. I won't do any more flashlight holsters with croc. It's too difficult to wrap it around the light. Inlays on pistol holsters are ok, but the smaller the item you are making, the worse it is. Also, a 3 foot long croc is about $300 with quite a lot of it unusable. It's also hard to find it not already dyed, and I like to do my own dying. Stingray is at least somewhat flexible, but sanding the pearls (those bumps are called pearls and are calcium) makes the house smell like a dentist office gone crazy drilling teeth out. Also, for the most part, you have to buy the stingray in the color you want. It doesn't take dye for crap once it is tanned.
    I play with dead things

Here is what I mean by the finger cutouts. The left is rounded and the right is tapered. Left is 11 stitches high and the right is 10 stitches high. You don't want the cutouts too small as it would make it more difficult to get the light out.

Here you can see the same rounded finger cutouts but the one on the left is 11 stitches high while the one on the right is 10.

I play with dead things

theres a Sharskin version too, with superpowers:
    "it seems to be RFID blocking as it does not allow me to utilize office key card while in the wallet"
    It most likely has an RFID blocker in it. I add that to my belt wallets if folks want it.

They are probably getting the wallets from Thailand as it is the biggest exporter of stingray and stingray related products. I get mine from an importer in the U.S. who is getting them from Thailand as well... I just have to do the work... other than the killing, skinning, tanning... etc... I only do that for the rattlesnakes!
    I play with dead things

It most likely has an RFID blocker in it. I add that to my belt wallets if folks want it.

...I just have to do the work... other than the killing, skinning, tanning... etc... I only do that for the rattlesnakes!
    got it, yours use good old USAmerican Labor... and rattles

your swede lined designs are far superior.

the Mission Wallet design is not ideal, part of it is lined in cloth, and probably will be the first part to fail after repeated use

I encourage you to consider some more deep pocket designs that incorporate a wallet profile, and maybe have a slot for cash and card.. dual function, breaks up the outline of the light, or creates a nice flat body side contact
    Last edited by jon_slider; 07-31-2018 at 11:22 PM.

I encourage you to consider some more deep pocket designs that incorporate a wallet profile, and maybe have a slot for cash and card.. dual function, breaks up the outline of the light, or creates a nice flat body side contact
    If one does not care about one handed access then it does not really matter what is designed.

A lot of development and testing went into this front pocket holster solution to ensure quick/fast one handed access to the flash light 100 percent of the time.

The front pocket holster that I have took two different prototypes before we finally got it right with the third design. The vertical and horizontal lengths are very, very important and different from each other. The horizontal wing has the stamp on it. The lengths are designed to keep the holster in the pocket when you draw the light and keep the holster from rotating on the draw so that the flash light is easily re-holstered. The wings of the holster are thick enough to support the weight of the light but thin enough to fold to the contour of the leg so that the light and holster almost disappears in the pocket. The leather is also turned inside out so that the rough side is facing the pant pocket. This provides a little more traction to keep the holster in place when drawing and re-holstering the flashlight.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 08-01-2018 at 04:41 AM.

A lot of development and testing went into this front pocket holster solution to ensure quick/fast one handed access to the flash light 100 percent of the time.
    I completely agree and respect that Hogo's design is superior to the basic Mission Wallet. Congrats on your pocket holster, Im glad you got the feature set you wanted. imo it is a beautiful design for your application, and masterfully executed.

the reason I suggested a more vanilla wallet shaped profile, is partly because your pants pocket design is unique to what you wear. If I wear different pants, your holster may not fit the same way. With a wallet profile, we get versatility, but yes, at the expense of quick draw and quick reholstering, one handed.

otoh, I can draw and reholster one handed with the Mission Wallet too, but probably not as fast as you can with your more Tactical design.

Hogo makes beautiful, durable, well designed holsters, from excellent materials. Its hard to go wrong with his work, I have nothing but respect.

I play with dead things

Dan, awesome new holsters in your post above.

I received the belt loop horizontal tritium eyed eagle holster two days ago. It is an exceptional work of master craftsmanship. How tight should the light be to draw from this type of full cover holster?

Dan, awesome new holsters in your post above.

I received the belt loop horizontal tritium eyed eagle holster two days ago. It is an exceptional work of master craftsmanship. How tight should the light be to draw from this type of full cover holster?
    I make them snug so you can adjust the tension yourself. If you want it a bit looser, wrap the light in saran wrap and stick it in the holster over night to loosen it. The more saran wrap, the looser it will get. Best to go in steps until you get it just where you want it. Just remember, you can only go one direction... loosening. Tightening becomes a problem.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

If I ever get an HDS I want a deer with tritium eyes if itís something hogo can do. : D
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    If I ever get an HDS I want a deer with tritium eyes if itís something hogo can do. : D
    Yep. I have lots of deer stamps.
    I play with dead things

Yep. I have lots of deer stamps.

I had no eye deer..........

That ones for P

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast