The Ideal EDC Flashlight: A Comprehensive Essay and In-Depth Comparison

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please read on my site for the best viewing experience: https://precogvision.wordpress.com/...-comprehensive-essay-and-in-depth-comparison/

You might be thinking, "Wow, an essay. This dude writes a full-blown essayon flashlights, does he have nothing better to do?" But hear me out, I'll try and make it worth your time. Take note of my use of the word 'try' in particular. I'm a firm believer in the power of diction: No, I cannot make reading this essay worth your time. I can certainly do my best, but you'll be the one making the final, executive decision.

Maybe you're also not interested in why I'm writing this essay as a whole. But to my fellow flashaholics out there, this one is for you guys. Anyways, here's the simple answer: I'd like to think that humans are fundamentally 'good'. Let me elucidate further and make no mistake. This essay is my reciprocating the fulfillment that not only flashlights, but also the flashlight community have brought me. I think that on a fundamental level, no matter how ridiculous it might seem, everyone can relate to being passionate about something. And while everyone has different hobbies that they enjoy, this is mine.

So without further ado, let's do this.

Table of Contents
I. EDC Flashlights - A Definition
II. Why EDC a Flashlight?
III. Qualifications of the Ideal EDC Flashlight
IV. In-Depth Comparison - An Introduction
V. The Comparison
VI. Conclusion
VII. Loose-Ends

I. EDC Flashlight - A Definition
First and foremost, let's break down what we're looking for. We are notlooking for the biggest, brightest flashlight money can buy. Nor are we looking for the most expensive, flashy, insert-impressive adjective-here, flashlight money can buy. What we are looking for, however, is the best EDC flashlight. EDC stands for everyday carry; for the sake of this review I will refer to it as simply 'EDC'. As the name 'EDC flashlight' would suggest, this is the flashlight that you take with you everyday and everywhere.

The above perfectly illustrates my firm belief in the power of diction. It is imperative that we fully define the nature of the term so as to understand the underlying semantics. I know I come off as didactic and borderline pretentious, but hey, this is my essay.

II. Why EDC a Flashlight?
This is a component of my essay because I know that there are some who won't initially appreciate the merits of the venerable flashlight or EDC in its totality.
Let's start with the latter. EDC can be used as both a noun and an adjective. As a noun, it refers to the various items and tools that are on your person everyday. Used as an adjective, it's often to describe a particular piece of gear (such as a knife or flashlight).

At its roots, EDC is simply a form of preparation. Over time, however, the nature of the word has expanded to encompass a broader spectrum of paradigms. Some individuals, such as Nick Shabazz of YouTube fame, posit that EDC is a form of security. In an unpredictable world, we find solace - no matter how small - in our ability to control a measure of our fate through preparation. Regardless, while multiple interpretations exist, EDC has unquestionably become the crux by which many live their life.

And now we'll return to the former: Of all the possible EDC items, why the flashlight? I could write an entire essay in and of itself about light's - and flashlights' by extension - powerful connotations with respect to the human condition. But that's beside the point. What it really comes down to is that the flashlight is just a damn useful tool. If you're the average human, you experience roughly the same amount of darkness as you do light in 24 hours. It's a no-brainer, there are far too many possible uses to count them all.

A common argument made by ordinary "Muggles" (Harry Potter reference coined by BLF user ToyKeeper, I believe) regards the smartphone. The contemporary smartphone has a flashlight, compass, and myriad of features rolled into a convenient, portable device. An analogy will serve as the basis for deconstructing this argument, the smartphone is like a Swiss Army Knife (SAK). The SAK is goodfor a lot of uses but not particularly greatat anything. And if the SAK is to the pocket knife, then the smartphone is to the flashlight. The flashlight and pocket knife are purpose-driven, refined instruments unlike their counterparts. Through this analogy, we quickly see that the smartphone will never be a suitable replacement for a flashlight.

III. Qualifications of the Ideal EDC Flashlight
This section will go over the primary qualifications of the quintessential EDC flashlight. Bear in mind that not everyone's qualifications for the ideal EDC flashlight will be the same. And as such, the qualifications addressed in this section will be intentionally broader in general.

• Size: The ideal EDC flashlight is both compact and unobtrusive.
  • Weight: In tandem with the above qualification, the weight of the flashlight in question should be light enough to carry without any "pocket sagging" or similar undue distress.
  • Lumens: This is the 'brightness' aspect of the flashlight. Lumens are generally the best way of gauging output, as they are a measure of the total amount of light a flashlight puts out. The output of the flashlight should be sufficient for general, daily tasks. Additionally, the flashlight should have varying outputs for most any task.
  • Reliable: The flashlight is well-built and can be used with confidence. Ask yourself: Can you say with absolute certainty that your flashlight will come on when you need it most? A reliable flashlight has sufficient seals (such as O-rings) to keep the elements at bay and is constructed of tough material.
  • Battery Type: There are several considerations with respect to the battery. Foremost, the battery should strike a good balance between size and capacity. Secondly, the battery should be one that is easily found. And finally, the battery type used should be flexible.
  • User-interface: The interface of the flashlight should be intuitive and come easily. If someone else picked up your flashlight without ever using it before, would they be able to use it?
To reiterate, these are just general qualifications. Your EDC flashlight of choice may or may not fulfill all of them. Just keep in mind that these are typically the things that you want to look out for when choosing an EDC flashlight.

IV. In-Depth Comparison Introduction
Ah, yes. The moment you flashaholics have been waiting for. This section of my essay will look at some of the best EDC flashlights available on the market and juxtapose their respective differences for comparison. But "best EDC flashlights" is such a cop-out. By definition, "best" implies that there can only be one - so yes, you guessed it. By the end of this essay, I will make clear what I believe to currently be the best EDC flashlight in production.

There are three flashlights that I believe are near the zenith of EDC perfection: the McGizmo Haiku, the HDS Rotary, and the Oveready BOSS 35 (from left-to-right below). Each of the aforementioned flashlights has garnered a stellar reputation and following but so have many other flashlights. You might be wondering how I narrowed it down to these three flashlights. The following consists of the criteria I used when I selected these flashlights.

1. A unique, truly original design. This effectively eliminates a lot of the triple-emitter flashlights that have been produced as of late.
  2. Just on the border of diminishing returns with respect to price. In other words, the most usability you can get out of the flashlight for your buck. Because of this piece of criteria, mainstream production flashlights and budget flashlights are effectively eliminated. This criteria also eliminates flashlights that are past the point of diminishing returns like the Cool Fall Spy 007.
img_1077.jpg

You might also notice that these three flashlights share a couple similarities which I will outline here.

1. They are all based off of the 16340/18350 battery so are sized accordingly. I firmly believe that this size is most optimal for EDC. Not only does the battery type offer a good capacity-to-size ratio, but even though the size of these flashlights is larger than some others, they allow for a substantial, usable grip.
  2. All are semi-custom and custom flashlights. It's really hard to qualify what distinguishes a semi-custom flashlight from a custom flashlight. Generally speaking, though, I'd call the HDS Rotary and Oveready BOSS 35 semi-custom flashlights. The flashlights are mass produced (not relative to mainstream flashlights of course) and made by a company of sorts. On the other hand, I would qualify the Haiku as a custom. The Haiku is assembled by one man and is not produced on nearly the same scale as the other two flashlights.

As with any battle royale or comparison, it wouldn't be complete without an introduction for each flashlight. I have separate reviews of each of these flashlights but here's the TL;DR (too long; didn't read) version for each one.
McGizmo Haiku: The benchmark for custom-grade flashlights. Constructed completely of Grade 5 Titanium, the Haiku is as functional as it is pretty to look at. It utilizes the venerable McClicky switch and OP reflector that its creator Don McLeish pioneered.
img_0894.jpg

HDS Rotary: A lot of flashlights are described as being "built like a tank" but the HDS Rotary is the tank of flashlights. The Rotary is the cheapest of these three flashlights by quite a large margin and might just be the best value.
img_1018.jpg

Oveready BOSS 35: The flashlight that's become a modern classic. Like it's name might suggest, the BOSS is both very bright but very small. This is a flashlight that simply dominates the competition on paper.
img_0909.jpg

Using the categories I normally review flashlights under as a baseline, I will juxtapose these three flashlights with one another. The categories I grade under are build quality, output/runtime, practicality, beam quality, design, and user-interface. For those that are not familiar with my reviews, I give each category a score out of 10 which I then average at the end. Previously, I scored flashlights out of 30 but I have transitioned away from that system as 10 is a more set number. Whereas my previous reviews have put more of an emphasis on paper-specs, real-world use and practicality will reign predominant in this in-depth comparison. Enough chit-chat, let's do this.

V. The Comparison
First is the build quality and initial impressions. The build quality of these three flashlights shouldn't even be a question. All three are meticulously crafted and exude quality. I will give a slight edge to the Haiku in this category, however. The machining on the Haiku is simply impeccable and feels great in the hand more so than the anodization of the BOSS 35 and Rotary. An added benefit of the bare titanium construction is that the Haiku soaks up damage like a champ. Scratches and wear can actually look goodon the flashlight. On an aesthetic level, as futuristic as the BOSS 35 looks and as refined as the Rotary looks, the Haiku makes a better impression.
Of the three, the Rotary is undeniably the most robust though. Here's what each flashlight weighs when loaded with batteries:

• McGizmo Haiku: 101g
  • HDS Rotary: 103g
  • Oveready BOSS 35: 89g
So yes, the HDS Rotary does weigh the most of the three, but there's also a feeling of robustness to the flashlight that can't be attributed to just the weight when in hand. On the topic of when in hand, the BOSS 35 is the clear winner in terms of ergonomics. The BOSS 35 is the easiest to grip and articulate because of the clean channels, divots at the head, and the Triad tailcap.

The second category regards output and runtime. Here's a breakdown of outputs and runtimes for the three flashlights:

• McGizmo Haiku: N/A. This one's difficult because I'm running a Tana SuperLE with H17f in my Haiku. I did get 1hr 38 min to step-down running the flashlight on the high I have programmed though.
  • HDS Rotary: 200 OTF (out the front) lumens, 2 hours of runtime on the high and days on the lowest setting
  • Oveready BOSS 35: 1900 lumens at the LED, about ten minutes on high and weeks of candle brightness on the lowest setting
So clearly in terms of sheer output the BOSS 35 is the winner here. Or so you'd think, right? Well, when I took my Rotary out for an evening walk the other night, I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the flashlight: it easily lit up the entire street no worse than the BOSS 35. Keep in mind that this is a 200 lumen flashlight keeping par with a 1900 lumen flashlight. Now, this is in part due to the beam profiles, but the moral of the story is that lumens often don't mean jack. This goes both ways: in the exaggerated output of many mainstream flashlights and the actual kilo-lumen pocket rockets.

And just from a logical standpoint, you don't need 1000+ lumens from your EDC flashlight. 200 real, OTF lumens will easily accomplish most any everyday task. Some lumen chasers will no doubt condemn me for saying that but chew on this: It was only several years ago that 200 lumens was considered extremely bright; in fact, 50 lumens was considered "tactical brightness" by many.

Your eyes also do not process increases in output linearly, they do so logarithmically. This means that there needs to be a substantial jump in output for your eyes to see a difference. In essence, the rapid advancement of LED technology has led to both flashlight owners taking high-outputs for granted and a growing cohort of lumen-to-dollar supremacists. So to all you lumen chasers out there, yes, some flashlights like the Emisar D4 really are very cool and very bright. I should know, I've owned a few. But let's be real - they can't hold a candle to the build quality, sheer craftsmanship, and reliability of a Haiku or Rotary.

I call the Rotary the winner in this category. Surprised? Think about it. Because you can adjust the output of the flashlight on the fly, you effectively conserve much more battery than you would with a pre-set level like with the BOSS 35 and the Haiku. You never have to use more light than you actually need. As such, I've found that runtimes with my Rotary far exceed that of my BOSS 35 and Haiku in general.

The third category for comparison is practicality. Here I will address price point to value and actual use. Here's a breakdown of the prices as I have them configured:

• McGizmo Haiku: $342.05 (Host plus "Cracked Ice" Clip) + $130 (Tana SuperLE Nichia 219c 4000K) = $472.05 total.
  • Oveready BOSS 35: $392 (Base flashlight) + $36 (Stainless Steel Crenellated Bezel) = $428 total. I also have tritium in the optic but I think that's somewhat unilateral.
  • HDS Rotary: $269 (Base flashlight) + $30 (Nichia 219c 4000K emitter upgrade) = $299 total.
As you can see, the Rotary is the "bargain" flashlight of the three. Even following a recent 5% price increase from HDS, the Rotary still clocks in at about $100 under the Haiku and BOSS 35.

Both the BOSS 35 and Rotary can take a wide variety of battery chemistries. I haven't tested that much with the Haiku but I suspect that it probably won't run 3V primary CR123a very well because of the H17f's voltage range. I give the edge to the BOSS 35 in battery type. The 18350 that the BOSS 35 uses has greater capacity than the 16340 battery especially with recent advancements in the 18350 size. I really want to see an 18350 tube from HDS, but that's not important right now.

I also want to address the programming of the flashlights in this section. Both the Haiku and Rotary have on-board programming but the BOSS 35 uses a wireless-optical sensor to program directly from the web. For this reason alone, I'm going to have to eliminate the BOSS 35 from the race. I've said this before and I'll say it again: in the event that the website dies or goes down, you're effectively screwed. Yes, I've also made the argument that you can download the programming files to local storage on your device for on-the-go programming. But that's simply cumbersome and a plain pain in the ***. Wireless optical-programming is cool but far from perfect.

If my Haiku had the normal 3S LE with zero programmability (nothing wrong with that honestly) it also would have been an instant elimination. But it doesn't, my Haiku has the H17f driver. The H17f's flexibility is commendable; you can add up to seven modes and two separate mode groups to the Haiku along with several other options. Here's the thing though: All the modes you can add don't mean jack when you can just rotate a dial on the Rotary to get the output you need instantly. To add on to that, the Rotary has even more options than the H17f offers. Examples include an always-on locator beacon, pseudo momentary, and an auto shut off. The one feature that I think the H17f one-ups the Rotary on is a voltage meter, but the Rotary has a very graceful step-down.

Moving on to the beam quality. I will address both the LEDs used and the beams' overall usefulness. Here's how the flashlights' respective beams line up with one another:

• McGizmo Haiku: Reflector based, often referred to as having the "perfect" beam.
  • Oveready BOSS 35: Triple LED, uses standard Carclo 10507 Narrow Clear optic.
  • HDS Rotary: Reflector based, hotspot blends well with spill.
The LEDs in the Haiku and Rotary are both Nichia 219c 4000K. The BOSS 35 has XP-L HI 4000K emitters. If you can't tell already, I tend to gravitate toward warmer emitters. The Nichia 219c is supposed to have higher CRI (color rendering) but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the 219c and XP-L HI in actual use. The advantage of the XP-L HI is that it's brighter and more efficient. Overall, the emitters are all pretty equal to me and it's mostly a matter of preference.

Now, this is where things get really subjective - the beam patterns. And honestly, I think it mostly depends on your usage needs. The triple LED setup of the BOSS 35 puts out a wall of light that's great for close range tasks. The BOSS 35 will still light up things that are farther away but not nearly as well as the Haiku or Rotary; it's mainly punching through with sheer output at that point. Between the Haiku and Rotary, I like the Rotary's beam more. The Haiku has more of a distinct hotspot - I'm not sure if the hotspot is the result of the Nichia 219c or reflector. Despite the Haiku reflector's legendary reputation, I prefer the cleaner transition of the Rotary's beam.

As I mentioned earlier, it's hard to draw a clear winner in this category and it'll depend a lot on your usage patterns/needs. For me, it would be a toss-up between the BOSS 35 and Rotary.

The fourth category of this comparison will cover the design of the flashlights.

Unfortunately, although the Rotary probably has one of the best thought-out designs of the three (just take a look at some of the schematics on the HDS website), it lacks something very important. If it weren't for the lack of a clip, the Rotary would win this category hands down because of the dial. But without a clip, it rolls like a mo-fo. Yes, there is a clip available for the flashlight but it looks as bad as it works. Yes, there is also other alternative methods of retention such as a holster (this is the route I recommend going down) but they are less discrete and add on to the cost. While the Rotary is fundamentally flawed in this regard, the Haiku and BOSS 35 both have their own design merits.

For the Haiku, I would point out the heat-sinking fins at the head. The fins work very well and give the flashlight a lightsaber-esque look (totally irrelevant yet relevant). The Haiku was also one of the first - if not the first - flashlight to be made completely of titanium. The metal has one of the highest strength-to-weight ratios of any metal and is simply enamoring. One thing I'm not a fan of on the Haiku, though, is the body rings. They can be sort of slippery when wet and they definitely dig into the fingers when changing the battery.

I'm hard-pressed to find a flaw in the BOSS 35's design. The way it conforms to the hand is simply splendid, and the Triad tail cap is the icing on the cake. One thing that could be a put-off to some users is that the BOSS 35 is actually toosmall, I know some users prefer the longer 70 body. But that's purely based on outside factors and not really a knock on the design.
I think it's worth stating that all three of these flashlights are compatible with other, longer bodies and various accessories. The BOSS 35 probably has the most convenient eco-system though. Oveready produces a longer BOSS 70 body, walking wands, various clips, and beads. There's even a nifty screw-on cap for your spare bodies. I delved further into the Oveready eco-system in my full review of the BOSS 35, but make no mistake: The BOSS system is very extensive and allows the flashlight to adapt readily.

All in all, complex design doesn't necessarily equate to "good". Granted, the Rotary does have a complex design that allows it to be the toughest and most durable of the three. However, it lacks an integrated retaining method - a clip- and suffers as a result. I declare the BOSS 35 the winner in this category because the design is simple yet intricate, sort of like an Apple product. If you don't use a clip to carry your flashlight, then the Rotary is the winner.

As our comparison shifts to user-interface, there isn't as much of a stalemate relative to some of the other categories. There's a couple reasons why the Rotary is the clear champion in this category.

The first reason is obviously the rotary dial. As is stated on the product page: "What could be easier or more convenient?" Pretty much nothing is the answer; the Rotary dominates every other flashlight I've ever handled in terms of user-interface.

Secondly, the Rotary is the superior choice for mode switching. A pitfall of the McClicky switch mechanism - and Haiku and BOSS 35 by extension - is that direct access to a set mode is not conveniently available. You must depress the tail cap or click 'on' then 'off' to cycle modes. Yes, the H17F has a "double tap" feature but it's only practical when you first turn on the flashlight. If you want to access the double tap mode when the flashlight is already 'on', you must first click it 'off'. On the Rotary, not only can you pre-set the dial to a certain output, but you can also program a mode (generally max output) for when you hold the switch and the flashlight is already 'on'. You can also program two other separate modes for a double and triple click on the Rotary.

The BOSS 35 takes second place in this category because of the Triad tail cap. Both the Haiku and BOSS 35 use the same switch; the Triad tail cap accentuates an already good method of actuation. The Triad is great for the cigar-grip hold and allows the flashlight to tail stand like a rock. The Rotary can also tail stand, not nearly as solidly as the other two, however. I highly recommend the recessed switch on the Rotary.

VI. Conclusion
So there you have it: A comprehensive comparison of the EDC flashlight trifecta. I don't doubt there are more expensive, superior flashlights out there; however, these are the three flashlights that have bucked trends and made a name for themselves most.

I said there could only be one "best", and I will reinforce that sentiment here. If you've read this far, I commend you because you've most likely come to the conclusion that the HDS Rotary is the superior flashlight of the trifecta. The Rotary is an absurdly good value relative to the other two (and other custom-grade flashlights in general) and stands as the apex of practical use.

I adamantly believe that the Rotary is currently the best EDC flashlight in production. I would also like to believe that my comparison of the trifecta speaks for itself, so I will refrain from elaborating further on why the Rotary is the superior flashlight. In the following section, I will address the counter argument. It is my intent that the following section edify any remaining concerns.

VII. Loose-Ends
I don't doubt that there will be some readers (particularly budget-flashlight minded individuals) who will complain or curse me out for not including their favorite flashlight. Well, tough luck. I'm not writing this to cater to your whims or your favorite flashlight. Sometimes, you just have to actually own and use something to understand how good it really is. I'm sorry, but it's the plain and simple truth.

My writing is decent in general, but I am cognizant that it is also not perfect. In such a regard, if I made any grammatical or formatting errors, I humbly apologize.

This essay and the comparison presented under it are of my own volition and original thought. Wherever possible, I give credit for others' ideas.

Any piece of writing similar to this is undoubtedly subject to bias. Heck, the nature of an "essay" itself is fundamentally to persuade. With that in mind, I do write as objectively as is possible. I have also owned numerous flashlights from budget-grade to the custom-end of the spectrum and feel prepared to comment adequately on their respective differences.
The beauty of the digital age is that the content of works such as this can be edited seamlessly. This is a living document; therefore, it will be adjusted to reflect any future changes.

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Great essay, well outlined and methodical however I think you have left out one important criteria to judge and EDC light. Price, not everyone has nearly $500 dollars to spend on flashlight, especially if they are not a Flashaholic.

I am able to get the same function from a 100 light as a $450 haiku. While I like the look of the haiku more than a Convoy S2+ 18350 with an h17f, there is no way I will spend $450 on a flashlight even though I consider myself to be a Flashaholic, so does my wife.

There are also some things I wanted that the haiku cannot do. For instance I put a ring magnet in the tail cap around the switch boot. It has come in useful far too often to not have. I also have a lighted tailcap which helps me find my light on my night stand in the dark. Being able to switch out the 18350 body for an 18650 has been a big plus also.

cb1928d928020774d0262ee45653a895.jpg

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great essay, well outlined and methodical however I think you have left out one important criteria to judge and EDC light. Price, not everyone has nearly $500 dollars to spend on flashlight, especially if they are not a Flashaholic.

I am able to get the same function from a 100 light as a $450 haiku. While I like the look of the haiku more than a Convoy S2+ 18350 with an h17f, there is no way I will spend $450 on a flashlight even though I consider myself to be a Flashaholic, so does my wife.

There are also some things I wanted that the haiku cannot do. For instance I put a ring magnet in the tail cap around the switch boot. It has come in useful far too often to not have. I also have a lighted tailcap which helps me find my light on my night stand in the dark. Being able to switch out the 18350 body for an 18650 has been a big plus also.
While I'm not opposed to saving up for expensive lights, as evidenced by the several HDS rotaries I currently own, I would tend to agree that the "point of diminishing return" is much more in the $50-$80 range. And that's only getting lower as budget lights continue to improve. That said, price and value are always subjective and there is no right answer.

To be entirely honest, I skimmed a lot of the essay. You had some very good and thoughtful discussion of each light though. This is definitely worth reading for anyone weighing the options, as it tells a lot more than reading reviews which focus just on specification and features.

I also agree with your conclusion. The HDS rotary is truly in a league of its own, but HDS and BOSS are a fantastic complementary pair if you can afford both.

nbp

Flashaholic
Excellent read; this is my kind of review and comparison, if you have read the couple I have bothered to assemble. Well thought out points from an actual user. Also, these are three of my absolute favorite lights as well, so from that perspective it was fun to read about them from your vantage point.

My HDSs, Haikus and BOSS. Definitely the absolute pinnacle of EDC Perfection.

IMG_5165_zpsaznpid9a.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, well written essay on what the ideal EDC flashlight is..... for YOU. We are all different, have different needs and uses, and therefore will define the ideal EDC light differently.

I have an HDS clicky and while I do enjoy it, it is far from an ideal EDC for me. For slightly less weight and bulk, I could be running a 16650 cell in my light with 3-4x the battery capacity of a 16340, and in a pinch, I can run any cell/chemistry (current regulated) that fits in the tube (eg. CR123, AAA, AA sizes). A few have runtime tested recent HDSs at its 0.02lms min. on a CR123 for ~140hrs, which implies ~10ma draw from the driver virtually off. My light will run 3x as long on 0.5 lms (3.3ma), and almost as long on 3 lms (11.5ma); and since those 2 modes constitute ~90% of my usage, the same CR123/16340 cell will last me ~twice as long between changes/charges vs my HDS.

Build quality - no match compared an HDS, but not a huge factor for me esp, given related weight/bulk factor. Reliability - dunno, been carry a AAA keychain backup light for 7+ years and only ever needed it for depleted batteries. Perhaps I've been lucky, but my EDC lights have been extremely reliable. Rotary/Infinitely variable rings - for me they waste power as I tend to adjust the light to what's currently comfortable for my eyes. My multimodes are preset to the minimum light I like for a given task, and I know my eyes will adjust (dark adapt) to that light over the next minute or two.

Just a different point of view. I agree EDC is all about preparedness, but when it comes to flashlights, for me, the ultimate limitation always boils down to batteries and runtime, so I personally seek the light with the best battery: capacity, versatility, and efficiency (incl mode spacing) given a good size, weight, beam, UI, and practicality. JMHO/YMMV and all, of course.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of my friends and co-workers come to me for flashlight advice, but I would never recommend such an expensive flashlight to anyone unless they already have a small collection of decent lights and still want more. Until you've used an $80 flashlight and found it unsatisfying, you'll never appreciate a $200+ flashlight. I think you need to experience the trade-offs made in a variety of flashlight models before you'll understand the beauty of the design decisions made in these premium lights.

That said, my HDS clicky is my favorite light and has been for the last 8 years. I've resisted the siren call of the Rotary because I know I'd fidget with the moving parts.

--flatline

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast

cb1928d928020774d0262ee45653a895.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. I knew that price would definitely be an issue of contention, so I tried to address it more subtly. If you look at the criteria I chose these flashlights under, one of them is being "just on the border of diminishing returns with respect to price".

The Convoy S2+ is an awesome, flexible budget light! The main reason I chose the flashlights I did, though, is because a lot of the innards are more proprietary, ie. the Rotary's dial and the 371D LE.

Excellent read; this is my kind of review and comparison, if you have read the couple I have bothered to assemble. Well thought out points from an actual user. Also, these are three of my absolute favorite lights as well, so from that perspective it was fun to read about them from your vantage point.

My HDSs, Haikus and BOSS. Definitely the absolute pinnacle of EDC Perfection.

IMG_5165_zpsaznpid9a.jpg

nbp, it's very cool that you also own the same three flashlights! Love that NRA blue HDS. Glad you enjoyed the read, I also enjoyed reading your essay on the Haiku.

Great, well written essay on what the ideal EDC flashlight is..... for YOU. We are all different, have different needs and uses, and therefore will define the ideal EDC light differently.

I have an HDS clicky and while I do enjoy it, it is far from an ideal EDC for me. For slightly less weight and bulk, I could be running a 16650 cell in my light with 3-4x the battery capacity of a 16340, and in a pinch, I can run any cell/chemistry (current regulated) that fits in the tube (eg. CR123, AAA, AA sizes). A few have runtime tested recent HDSs at its 0.02lms min. on a CR123 for ~140hrs, which implies ~10ma draw from the driver virtually off. My light will run 3x as long on 0.5 lms (3.3ma), and almost as long on 3 lms (11.5ma); and since those 2 modes constitute ~90% of my usage, the same CR123/16340 cell will last me ~twice as long between changes/charges vs my HDS.

Build quality - no match compared an HDS, but not a huge factor for me esp, given related weight/bulk factor. Reliability - dunno, been carry a AAA keychain backup light for 7+ years and only ever needed it for depleted batteries. Perhaps I've been lucky, but my EDC lights have been extremely reliable. Rotary/Infinitely variable rings - for me they waste power as I tend to adjust the light to what's currently comfortable for my eyes. My multimodes are preset to the minimum light I like for a given task, and I know my eyes will adjust (dark adapt) to that light over the next minute or two.

Just a different point of view. I agree EDC is all about preparedness, but when it comes to flashlights, for me, the ultimate limitation always boils down to batteries and runtime, so I personally seek the light with the best battery: capacity, versatility, and efficiency (incl mode spacing) given a good size, weight, beam, UI, and practicality. JMHO/YMMV and all, of course.

I agree very much with your thoughts. Regarding efficiency, though, I think running the flashlight on the lowest levels that long is more of a novelty than anything. Under the Reviews section of my website I have a disclaimer that states: "With that being said, I think it is important to be cognizant that these reviews consist of my opinions. My opinion is my own, but is still definitely subject to bias. Different lights will suit different people and there is no one, singular "best" light. That being said, I review objectively to the best of my ability."

Lots of my friends and co-workers come to me for flashlight advice, but I would never recommend such an expensive flashlight to anyone unless they already have a small collection of decent lights and still want more. Until you've used an $80 flashlight and found it unsatisfying, you'll never appreciate a $200+ flashlight. I think you need to experience the trade-offs made in a variety of flashlight models before you'll understand the beauty of the design decisions made in these premium lights.

That said, my HDS clicky is my favorite light and has been for the last 8 years. I've resisted the siren call of the Rotary because I know I'd fidget with the moving parts.

--flatline

You're definitely right. I know that I wouldn't appreciate the $200+ flashlights I own without having slowly worked my way up.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
EDC means something different to each person, I guess. Your opinion of size differs greatly from mine. My EDC light is a AAA light. I've tried a few AA lights, but they are just too big for me.

In addition to size, I think we define "easily available batteries" differently. If my AAA battery dies, I can just go to any drugstore and pick up a spare. The 18650 battery, while popular in techie circles, is not universal in my definition.

Different lights for different needs.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Regarding efficiency, though, I think running the flashlight on the lowest levels that long is more of a novelty than anything..

I'm not necessarily talking about needing to run a light for 1000hrs on moonlight in a zombie apocalypse, it's more about having the most practical preparedness options for the least amount EDC - which happens to be a hobby of mine.

For example, I like rechargeables and so EDC a small 1oz Li-ion (/NiMh) USB battery meter/charger/powerbank (Nitecore F1 or Klarus CH1) if I'm carrying a bag/traveling/camping - they also allow me to USB powerbank from 3x scavenged/purchased AA/C/D alkaline cells, so for me are worthy of EDC even without a flashlight. For ~same weight/bulk as my HDS, my light could have a 16650 cell that could charge my iPhone or Inreach satcom in an off grid situation, and then I could just swap in the AAA Eneloop from my keychain backup light, and still get nearly my same output/runtime/beam/UI as my HDS on a 16340.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
The "ideal" EDC flashlight for me is one that accommodates me carrying every day, all day. Small AAA flashlight that fits in the watch pocket is the "ideal" size.

My illumination needs are infrequent and light use. The "ideal" performance for most all tasks would be 10-100 lumens. An option for higher output would be nice if ever needed.

I chose the Surefire Titan Plus two years ago. No regrets.

q2rc4aG.jpg

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed the read. personally I think the rotary would be an automatic DQ due to failing the "carry" aspect of edc. also, not sure how I feel about a solid titanium light being compared to aluminum lights. it should be mentioned that a titanium rotary is 1000 bucks, while a titanium boss goes for 600. with that price info a haiku seems more of a bargain. also, I agree with what was mentioned earlier, my definition of easily accessible batteries vary from yours.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
You might be thinking, "Wow, an essay. This dude writes a full-blown essayon flashlights, does he have nothing better to do?" But hear me out, I'll try and make it worth your time. Take note of my use of the word 'try' in particular. I'm a firm believer in the power of diction: No, I cannot make reading this essay worth your time. I can certainly do my best, but you'll be the one making the final, executive decision.
A response to "The Ideal EDC Flashlight: A Comprehensive Essay and In-Depth Comparison "

I like reading thoughtful commentaries about flashlights, which is, I guess, why I come here. But I think I have a very different approach to "every day carry" than our colleague here. He's listed the attributes of three very fine lights, but none of these are what I would consider suitable for "every day carry". Just as you can spend a great deal more on a watch than a $75 drug store Timex and not get usefully better time keeping, these wonderful pieces of man jewellery are too precious to carry about and actually use. The extra money isn't buying extra utility for the nominal purpose of the device. It must be nice to carry a $500 light and wear a $50,000 watch while shooting lobsters from hot air balloons, but that's not my lifestyle.

I'm not a hunter, cop, night trail cyclist, SAR tech, or special-forces black-ops ninja. I do regularly need to see into dark corners, under parked cars, check that the garage door is closed, light up icy steps, and generally live in the world.

I have a $200 flashlight, I keep it on display in the basement - but it's a giant 4 cell 2200-lumen monster. It's a little like the 2 D cell "Sportsman" kept in the kitchen drawer when I was a kid..."Oh, oh...better go get The Flashlight". About as convenient an EDC as the famous Galvanick Lucifer.

To me, the two most important attributes of an every-day carry flashlight is that a) it is in my pocket and b) it lights up every time.

It can't be in a display case in my den. It can't be in a drawer or a toolbox or glove compartment. It can't be in a coat pocket. It can't even be in my special-forces black-ops tactical concealed-carry ballistic-nylon man purse with low infrared signature buckles (so a glint doesn't give away my position while I'm waiting for a bus). It can't be in a holster. I have a very nice light that lives in a holster - I have to decide " Oh, I'm going to be looking at stuff in the dark, I'd better wear The Flashlight." It can't be so precious that if I drop it on the bus some day I have to give up groceries for the month to replace it.

It must be something that I can afford to feed batteries to. I love the lithium-iron AAs and AAAs out there, but have you priced these things? You're looking at several dollars an hour to run a light....true, an hour is months of use for an EDC light but I don't want to be thinking "Can I afford to light this up?" every time. The low self-discharge NiMh batteries of today are amazing, much better than the crappy NiCds that I spent paper route money on as a kid and that held a charge about as long as an ice cube lasts in July.

It's got to have a switch that gol-darnit works reliably and doesn't require excess fiddling, banging on a wall, etc. to light. It will be dropped and must still light up afterward. It will be abused in a pocket and must still work when pulled out. It will be held in my teeth at times (because I left the headband in my tactical nylon etc. manpurse instead of in my pocket where it gets tangled with all the other stuff). It's got to be enough light to be useful - better than striking a match, but not really called on for finding lost mountaineers in a blizzard. I don't much care what color light it is as long as it's white-ish - if I have to match paint chips, I'll do it in daylight, that's not what I need a flashlight to do.

Here are some of the lights I've carried routinely over the years and how they meet these criteria:

1. Novelty keyholder light when I was a kid: Hey look, if you point it directly at your eye and squeeze, you can see the world's smallest incandescent bulb glow red and then go out. Not useful, especially after the tiny costly button battery died.

2. Two AA light with a #222 bulb in it - This was actually pretty useful in its day ( but that day was 40+ years ago). I still have one kicking around the junk box. #222 bulbs give really weird-shaped beams of brown light ( I would swap bulbs to get the least weird shape I could), and this thing ate AA cells at a high rate. One of my first purchases of incredibly expensive RadioShack ni-cads went into one of these. I used this one so much I had to replace the bulb several times in its life. Can you even buy #222 bulbs any more?

3. In my university days I carried a hardware store disposable light with a prefocus bulb and non-replaceable batteries. This lived in a coat pocket and was often used to light up my path or to look under the hood of the car. When you're a broke student driving a beater, you spend a lot of time with a flashlight looking at things under the hood. Too big for pants pockets.

4. My brother hooked me up with a Pelican "Mitylite" that ran on 2 AAAs. This I carried through many years of my steelmaking career - and it was really useful for looking inside dark panels or in holes in machinery. No matter how much hype was printed about their "xenon fired lamp module", it was still an incandescent bulb and ate AAAs at a good clip - but I was making more money and AAA alkalines had gotten relatively cheaper since my student days. Even the magnet was occasionally useful, though more play value than utility. It was never very secure when sticking to steel, and only barely held its own weight. I could rarely find a piece of steel that was at right angles to what I needed lit up. Twist operation was a minor inconvenience, but it was pleasantly watertight, quite reliable in switching, and a thrill to know it was explosion proof. Not that I ever needed that capability. Lost it in a move, darn it.

5. A real "Photon" keyring lamp - we bought a bunch of these. My brother found the yellow ones useful, but I never liked them, though they were cheaper and more battery efficient. I carried a Photon on my keyring for a long time. Stupidly expensive CR2016 button batteries cost more than the light. What really did it in was the incredibly sketchy switching mechanism - you essentially were bending the LED lead down to touch the battery top. Something so cheaply made should have cost a lot less. After two or three battery replacements, getting the "switch" to operate required nearly the concentration and touch of a safecracker. So, it went into the junk box. Also, not very much light - handy for lighting up anything within arm's reach, but further than that and you'd be better off waiting for the moonlight to come out. But it was always handy.

6. Maglight AAA - Given this in 1998, still looking at the long-term reliabiity. At the time, seemed like a lot of light. A bit long for pants pocket carry by today's standards. I spent a fortune to replace the original incandescent bulb with an LED. For many years this one lived in my briefcase and was my "finding the car keys at the airport" light, also my "find my way down 6 flights of stairs " office light. It still stays in one of my tactical nylon etc. man purses, though the "war bag" doesn't get hauled around every day any more. ( On 9/11 I had this light in my briefcase. Everyone working in a tower should have a flashlight.)

7. Quark AA - A wonderful light. Dead on reliable, excellent life with AA lithium or NiMh (cheap Ikea green batteries seem to last about as long as Eneloops, and I bought a bunch on clearance), super low moonlight mode and lots of light on high. A little bulky for pocket carry, though, and too big for the key ring. The 2AA I bought for an extended assignment in Africa also has a sheath, but at that site it reguarly rode on my belt. Now they're out of business. When the Quark is not out and about, it's my night stand light.

8. Titanium Innovations CA1: Finally enough light (on the keyring)! So smalll. 100 lumens is enough to check the garage door from the house, or light up an icy path when coming home from the theatre. And look! I can use these cool lithium AAAs. That will be useful if I'm ever out in the -30 C cold for hours and need a light. Twist to operate but I could usually operate it one-handed, at least when not wearing gloves. Bought one for me and one for my spouse. However, found that they tended to spontaneously disassemble, especially when carried in a purse on a keyring. Why won't they make a twisty with a detent part way up the threads so that it requires a lot more force to completely remove the cap? These lasted for about 3 or 4 years but eventually failed to light without banging, tapping, etc. - into the junk box with them.

9. Inova XS - bought on impulse when the CA1 was giving trouble but still lighting up. Only a little bigger. Combination twisty/end button. But I found the end button to be really tiring to hold down, and the twisting motion didn't work so easily as the CA1s. I could never twist this one-handed. Lots of light, though. Now it lives in the sheath that holds my "pretty" multitool that's too nice to carry around. (I tested it today...it takes less force to push this button than to make the LD02 click, which surprised me.)

10. NextTorch GL10 keychain light: Hey, USB rechargeable! So pretty. Even smaller than the CA1. Not as much light as a CA1 and wide flood. However, rubber bits deteriorated after 2 years of constant pocket carry and use. It's sitting in the junk box, waiting for me to carve a new case so I can take an ex vape-pen battery and produce an extra long running light. ( I wrecked the original battery trying to modify the case to replace the broken rubber key ring).

11. Fenix UC01 keychain light: Hey, USB rechargeable! Nearly as pretty as the GL10. Bulkier, but more light. Has already outlived the GL10. Darn thing always has a dead battery in it - regularly I get told "Your pocket is glowing". I tried gluing a bit of plastic to shield the button but that only helped a little. Still on my keyring for now,as a kind of backup to the following.

12. And finally, the EDC light that I use all the time,the Fenix LD02. If I have pants on, this is in my pocket, clipped to a loop of paracord on my Leatherman Squirt. ( I used the lanyard off the Inova XS - so far the nylon thread hasn't worn through, and the little steel S-clip is perfect for the job). It gets used all the time for everything from finding dropped theatre programs, to ear hair illumnation to assist in grooming. Clicky button, easy to operate (even one handed with gloves) - the Squirt dangling off the lanyard seems to balance the light and make the assembly easy to hold. A firm click turns it on, and soft push cycles through medium/low/high. In the last 2 years only once have I discovered it turned on in my pocket. Runs on AAA NiMh - if I'm so reckless as to not be travelling with spares, every gas station carries AAAs in alkaline if needed. 100 lumens on high - that's 6 of the old-time Sportsman 2D cells lights of old, enough to light up the back yard.

If it got lost, I'd sniffle a bit and run down to MEC and replace it for less than half the cost of a tank of gas. Too pricy to give to all the relatives for Christmas, darn it.

"Low" could be a lot lower. Black is a stupid color for something you may need to find in the dark. Wish they had machined another groove in the case so I could flip the clip around to make it a "hat brim light". I can really see the advantage of a right-angle light in this form factor. Can't tail stand. I thought the medium/high/low sequence was odd at first till I realized that rarely did I click to the other settings unless I was playing with the light. "Medium" is still more lumens than the Sportsman 2D cell light.

And the answer to "Do you have a light?" is always "Yes". And it always lights up.

Bill

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always a pleasure when folk bother to write a lengthy review. Some great replies too, you just don't get this level of detail in FaceAche groups.

My absolute EDC is my Gyorgy Kemenes Omicron Ti 10180 riding on my keys. However, my most frequently used lights ride in the lighter pocket of my jeans, which is a position occupied by either an Olight S1R, McGizmo Haiku Hi-CRI or Zebralight SC52d. Despite quite a price difference, it is actually the Zebralight that I find most useful in that position.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why likely half of the members are here.
Zebralight H600 variant with pocket clip fills the bill for me.
Swap or charge the battery every few months, clip in inside a waistband with shorts or swim trunks through the summer, clip it in a jeans pocket through the cooler months.
Pair it with pocket clip folding knife and a few minimalist tools, mini Bic, ID, etc., and you're all set.

... Lose it and you'll be sorry, but you can easily replace it with a day or less of work, the new one will be in the mail in a couple days unless you ordered the newest, greatest, back ordered and relatively untested model.
If you secure the clip with a solid ring of something like marine grade heat shrink tubing, the clip will absolutely not come off the light unless you throw it in a fire or deliberately cut the tubing off.
Further more you can add a tab of duct tape to the clip, with beveled edges, and have a durable bite surface to turn the pocket light into a headlamp (jawlamp) without potentially damaging your teeth while biting the pocket clip.
- that's no substitute for a headlamp for long duration use, but for 1-10 minutes at a time it's very practical, at 20 minutes you'll be pretty annoyed to not have a proper headlamp band, and maybe some TMJ acting up the next day.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since an iPhone is on me [or within reach] 24/7, I no longer EDC a "flashlight".

But our kitchen counter, truck bag and get home bag all house an Acebeam X65 and Fenix HL55 headlamp.

So I guess those would be considered our EDC.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phones are great for casual flashlight use, but if you need a real light very often you'll find that they do not adequately serve that purpose.
One of the more frequent uses of my H600" " is to come in out of bright sunlight and quickly find something in relative darkness... +/-1000 lumens for few seconds or a minute or two is only about 2 seconds away, every time.
Dropping it into gravel or onto concrete is not just an annoyance, never a problem.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not necessarily talking about needing to run a light for 1000hrs on moonlight in a zombie apocalypse, it's more about having the most practical preparedness options for the least amount EDC - which happens to be a hobby of mine.

For example, I like rechargeables and so EDC a small 1oz Li-ion (/NiMh) USB battery meter/charger/powerbank (Nitecore F1 or Klarus CH1) if I'm carrying a bag/traveling/camping - they also allow me to USB powerbank from 3x scavenged/purchased AA/C/D alkaline cells, so for me are worthy of EDC even without a flashlight. For ~same weight/bulk as my HDS, my light could have a 16650 cell that could charge my iPhone or Inreach satcom in an off grid situation, and then I could just swap in the AAA Eneloop from my keychain backup light, and still get nearly my same output/runtime/beam/UI as my HDS on a 16340.

Got you dude, I think I understand what you're trying to get at.

The "ideal" EDC flashlight for me is one that accommodates me carrying every day, all day. Small AAA flashlight that fits in the watch pocket is the "ideal" size.

My illumination needs are infrequent and light use. The "ideal" performance for most all tasks would be 10-100 lumens. An option for higher output would be nice if ever needed.

I chose the Surefire Titan Plus two years ago. No regrets.

q2rc4aG.jpg

Haha, Phil your love of the Titan Plus is well-documented. Always nice to see you keeping the Titan Plus thread alive! I don't carry mine as frequently but still grab it when I'm looking for something more discrete. Although I didn't give it the most glowing review, I can definitely see how it would fulfill an EDC roll.

Always a pleasure when folk bother to write a lengthy review. Some great replies too, you just don't get this level of detail in FaceAche groups.

My absolute EDC is my Gyorgy Kemenes Omicron Ti 10180 riding on my keys. However, my most frequently used lights ride in the lighter pocket of my jeans, which is a position occupied by either an Olight S1R, McGizmo Haiku Hi-CRI or Zebralight SC52d. Despite quite a price difference, it is actually the Zebralight that I find most useful in that position.

Thanks Mike! In all honesty, my true EDC is also my Ti Omicron. It rides around my neck pretty much 24/7...the only time I ever take it off is when showering or if I absolutely must at places like the gym. The other flashlights, including the Rotary, are all rotated on a daily basis. I have a good mind to try out a Zebralight but can never bring myself to plonk down the funds! I think I need to do further research.

https://imgur.com/a/XtT912k

Here's a picture of when I dunked my Omicron along with my Haiku into some water. I think I left them under a couple feet for about ten minutes. Surprisingly, and much to my chagrin, the Haiku is the one that failed. Water somehow leaked into the switch and it crapped out when I tried to activate it. Probably shouldn't dunk the Omicron but it's nice to know that it can hold up to some light immersion.

Kitchen Panda: Very detailed post, I liked how you described each particular flashlight in detail. I totally understand how everyone has a different interpretation of an EDC flashlight and other factors in general.

Last edited:

Krumbbs1976

Newly Enlightened
I had a mcgizmo mule and the LED died on me in about 7 months. That's when I came to the realization that when it's going to happen it's just going to happen it doesn't matter the price that you pay. High-end flashlights die randomly just like the cheaper ones do ..admittedly less often. So I just went and researched what the most durable flashlight I could buy was that would fit my needs. I went with a Peak LED Solutions Night Patrol in stainless steel. It actually cost me a lot less than the Mcgizmo but still 270 bucks is not anything to laugh at. So far it's lasted about twice as long as the mcgizmo. All the flashlights you have there I'm sure they're wonderful but I just don't know how anyone can say that their light is going to last longer than another one. I mean if it goes out and you're in a situation where you don't have a light in my job that is not okay. My Gizmo went out when I was on duty and I work nights.

That's one thing I miss about the old incandescent bulbs is that if something does happen to it hey look there's a bulb in the base under the spring :) they can guarantee you will have light unless you screw it up twice in the same night. Newer built-in LEDs where you got to take apart the whole damn thing with potted electronics and stuff like that they can't give that same guarantee.

Now if someone comes out with a flashlight that's built like a mcgizmo or Peak that has multiple LEDs built in that are actually interchangeable.. that would be something! Because no matter how well it's built or if they put epoxy in the lands area is that led goes out you're screwed.