Fenix Outfitters        

View Poll Results: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Clicky

16 24.24%
  • Team Rotary

50 75.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

Default Re: HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

Enlightening observations about my Rotary dial, and the merits of Strobe for a pedestrian crossing busy streets.

Because I find the hops between levels disconcertingly stroby, I use my Rotary the same way I use my clicky. That is, I use all 4 presets, not just the dial. I also like knowing how many lumens I am using, so I like using presets that I have measured on my light meter. I also have a personal preference for cigar grip, and this works well with clicky commands, and makes it easy for me to aim the light at my feet with my arm hanging naturally by my side.

My Rotary dial is usually set to turn on to minimum, double click is set to 20 lumens, triple to strobe and press to Max.

Occasionally I want my turn on Preset to be brighter than minimum so I have a tendency to close my eyes and spin the dial, then reopen my eyes to see if Im close, then I ramp slowly, one step at a time.

In the course of my Rotary Enlightenment, I have developed a couple baseline references.

Spin the dial to 50% rotation, gives about 2 lumens.

I find this useful at times when Minimum is too low and 20 lumens is more than needed. I use the set screw as a reference mark so I know when the dial is at 50% or 75%. I have also developed muscle memory to spin the dial to 50% and 75%.

Spin the dial to 75%, this gives about 20 lumens.

here is a chart of HDS levels, you can see level 12 out of 24 is about 2 lumens, and level 18 out of 24 is about 20 lumens depending on which model you have..

These two reference points have made the Rotary dial much more user friendly for me. I seldom need to use the settings between the first 50% of the dial. For my needs dial all the way down for .02, dial to. 50% for 2 lumens, double click for 20 lumens, or a couple clicks past 75% rotation for 40 lumens, plus the occasional Maximum, are sufficient for most tasks. I reserve the use of triple click for strobe, when crossing the street, day or night.

I find strobe very useful, and I have even had pretty women smile at me when I do that. No one has been offended, probably because I strobe the ground, not their face. I find it very gratifying that cars come to a complete stop when I am in a crosswalk. I think they like it when I use strobe to cross the street.

Strobe gives drivers a clear visual signal, and a legitimate reason to come to a full stop for a pedestrian.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-15-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Good info here!

Is the hole in the tail cap of the Rotary smaller than the one in the Clicky?

Reason I ask is that I have huge fingers and I seem to recall when owning two rotaries that the hole in the tail cap seemed smaller in the rotaries. It may just be my perception as the Clicky seemed to click more naturally, to me. I know that is very subjective.

You mean the size of the button? They’re the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    You mean the size of the button? They’re the same.
    No, I mean the hole in the tail cap. Or, a different question with maybe the same result, are clicky raised rubber buttons interchangeable with Rotary raised rubber buttons?

It could be that the holes in the tail caps are the same and maybe one has to push further down on a Rotary to engage the electronic switch. That may give only the perception of the Rotary tail cap hole being smaller.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 02-22-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Brevity

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    No, I mean the hole in the tail cap. Or, a different question with maybe the same result, are clicky raised rubber buttons interchangeable with Rotary raised rubber buttons?

It could be that the holes in the tail caps are the same and maybe one has to push further down on a Rotary to engage the electronic switch. That may give only the perception of the Rotary tail cap hole being smaller.
    Same size. Buttons, and switches, are the same in both lights.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Looking to buy my first HDS. Really doubting between the Rotary and Clicky. A friend of mine has a rotary. Adjusting it, is sometimes a bit harder depending on the position in the hand. The clicky doesn’t have this problem. On the other hand, the rotary is such an unique feature for a led flashlight.

Are there any of you that bought a rotary or clicky and soon switched vice-versa?

Quote Originally Posted by TomK85 View Post
    Looking to buy my first HDS. Really doubting between the Rotary and Clicky. A friend of mine has a rotary. Adjusting it, is sometimes a bit harder depending on the position in the hand. The clicky doesn’t have this problem. On the other hand, the rotary is such an unique feature for a led flashlight.

Are there any of you that bought a rotary or clicky and soon switched vice-versa?
    I have both and use my Rotaries 99% of the time. For what it's worth you can actually program a Rotary to behave like a Clicky, so if you find the rotary knob difficult you do have a remedy. Can't do that with a Clicky....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Get the rotary. If you don’t like it you can normally sell and get a Clicky but not the other way around. Rotary once you get used to it will have you spoiled. I ve got 6. No clickies. My firSt was a Clicky but it didn’t do as I wanted. The rotary did “more” than I wanted or needed... so the rotary won.
    Don’t Tread On Me

Default Re: HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?kucbf

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    I have both and use my Rotaries 99% of the time. For what it's worth you can actually program a Rotary to behave like a Clicky, so if you find the rotary knob difficult you do have a remedy. Can't do that with a Clicky....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    Get the rotary. If you don’t like it you can normally sell and get a Clicky but not the other way around. Rotary once you get used to it will have you spoiled. I ve got 6. No clickies. My firSt was a Clicky but it didn’t do as I wanted. The rotary did “more” than I wanted or needed... so the rotary won.
    Thanks! Convinced to get a rotary now. Esspecially due to the fact that you don’t have to use the rotary function and just use it as a clicky. Unfortunately my local supplier has one in stock with bad anodizing on one part of the barrel. Maybe I’ll go for a custom but shippingfees are high to Europe.

The clicky is nice for sure but the rotary is in a class of its own. I'd take a rotary all day every day and twice on Sunday
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Most people prefer the Rotary, so get that.

I'm not most people. I will die with a Clicky in my pocket.

My first purchase was a rotary, but I soon developed an affection for the clicky version. I still have a rotary. In fact, I like it much better now with the new internals, but the clicky will always be my preference. My reasons are completely subjective, of course. The clicky just feels more solid to me.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

I'm with Modern, my legacy Tactical Clicky feels inexplicably more solid. I also love the ability to change tailcaps from raised to flush.

I prefer the clicky, primarily because I consider it digital, meaning I can quickly select the exact level I want, and know exactly how many lumens I'm getting. The rotary seems analog to me - meaning my output setting can be an infinite number of lumen outputs (ok, really just 24) but it's harder to know EXACTLY where it is unless I do it slowly and count.

Do I NEED to know exactly where the light is set? No, of course not. Why do I care then? Honestly, it's probably mental illness. Same reason why I set my adjust my watch to the official NIST time twice a week. Yes, I have a problem.

And the clicky is compatible with a normal clip.

Good news is that if you choose wrong, just chalk it up as a short term rental and pass it on as a WTS. Or relegate it to BOB duty and then get the other one!
    My Lights

No wonder why I prefer the rotary. Everyone knows analog is better than digital

IMO the rotary is one the best UIs. I’m team Rotary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if I want to send a HDS rotary in and have the button switched from flush to raised, what will it cost me?

Mostly a rotary fan here, but I do have a clicky too, and enjoy it on occasion.
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    So, if I want to send a HDS rotary in and have the button switched from flush to raised, what will it cost me?

Might be worth starting a WTT thread and see if anybody with a raised switch wants to just swap the entire tail with you.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Only, I finally got a rotary tail that is super smooth and doesn’t feel gritty, so I would rather not trade it.
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post

It will cost you around $50. I ve done it myself.

On the other note,the super smooth rotary tails “should be” or “are” the older tails. The new ones now that Henry is doing are not “gritty” but they aren’t as smooth as the older ones.... but at the same time the new ones are more robust than the older ones. Never had a problem with an older one.

You’ll be better off in the long run to wither paybthe $50 to get the button switched or just buy another tail with the button you want and you ll have a spare.
    Don’t Tread On Me

I am interested in your opinions. There are new views about that I are not even suspected, this is useful. Personally, I like both, so I will not press the button.

Bump for the newbies
    Don’t Tread On Me

I’ll add a rotary one day for its unique, simple UI. I especially like the ability to select output before turning the light on, and conversely, the ability to tell what it will output before turning on the light. In that way, leaving the selector ring in the same position would provide a sort of “mode memory” I’d find useful. And no Morse Code clicky! My only worry is it looks to be a bit of a pocket pendulum given its length. Maybe I’d add a clip.

@alphabravo
    You like to carry bezel up or down?
    Don’t Tread On Me

@usdiver, bezel down, flashlight (mostly) concealed in pocket, placement doesn't interfere with sitting or biking. I've seen at least one aftermarket clip for the HDS (there may be others(?)), but it looks like it might interfere with tail standing? That'd be a huge drawback for me.

HDS has a clip and there are aftermarket clips for other makes I ve seen however there are other options.
    Don’t Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by alphaBRAVO View Post
    @usdiver, bezel down, flashlight (mostly) concealed in pocket, placement doesn't interfere with sitting or biking. I've seen at least one aftermarket clip for the HDS (there may be others(?)), but it looks like it might interfere with tail standing? That'd be a huge drawback for me.
    Bezel up, and not especially deep carry, but here's a clip option that does not interfere with the Rotary tail or with tail-standing. I carry like this all the time without issue

More info here, if you're interested: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...our-HDS-Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    I carry like this all the time without issue...
    That is a thoughtful, well composed photograph of an especially photogenic subject. Thank you for posting.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12