Nite Ize 55 lumens: Maglite 3 D Cell: 19000 mAh 3.6 volt TL2300 D cell batteries

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened
I converted 2 of my Maglite 3"D" cell flashlights from incandescent to LED using the Nite Ize 55 Lumen conversion from Home Depot.

This made a noticeable difference..

Since this LED will handle up to 6 "D" Cells I am contemplating using three of my 19000 mAh 3.6 volt TL2300 "D" cell batteries to power the LED.

For those that do not know, the TL2300 is a Lithium Thionyl Cloride (LiSOCL2) Battery. (basically the same mAh as a single 1.5 volt Alkaline)

What do you think? The batteries are kinda pricey, but I do have enough for four flashlights..

Anyone with any experience with this set-up?

I also converted my five cell, but will leave it loaded with inexpensive Duracells.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you want a low-output, high-capacity light, look for the Nite-Ize 10mm drop-in; this is good for ~20 hours runtime per D cell..

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or...if you can live with 45L go with the Dorcy LED drop in for nigh unto 200 hours for 3 D cells alkaline.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to NiteIze, the 55L dropin is regulated at 0.5w power consumption. If you're running 9v, then the current draw should be something like 56mA, so if your batteries really do have 19000mAh, you should get well over 300 hours of run time.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 55L dropin in an old 4D maglite. The output is a useful improvement over the incandescent bulb it replaced and the run time is excellent. The beam can be focused very well and, as a result, the light now has amazing throw.

This is not the type of upgrade that provides any "wow-factor" when you show it to your friends (unless you have very pragmatic friends, I suppose), but for $5, it's an inexpensive way to breath new life into an old light.

I don't know anything about the batteries you're planning to use, but as long as you don't damage the module with too much voltage, I would expect it to work fine.

--flatline

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Voltage might be a little too high for the Nite Ize drop-in, not sure I have only used up to 9 Volts with these. Personally I don't see any advantage using these cells, you would probably be better off with some low self discharge NiMH D batteries.

Latest posts